Photos saved from MMS stripped of exif
Jasteers
Enthusiast - Level 1

So my wife and I are both on Verizon Wireless. She has a Pixel 3 XL & I have a Pixel 2 XL. Whenever she sends me a photo via MMS the filename & all exif data is stripped when I save them to my phone from our message thread. All the saved photos are renamed image000000.jpg.

Now this only happens with photos sent from my wife. If anyone else sends me photos by MMS the filename for them (if i save them to my phone) is the date/time stamp. Can't for the life of me figure out why only from my wife is all the photos data stripped. Any suggestions would be great, thanks so much for any help!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Photos saved from MMS stripped of exif
Jasteers
Enthusiast - Level 1

Edit: so I just noticed that its not every single photo taken and sent via mms.. but around 80%. Again this only ever happens when the wife sends pictures no other contacts or friends.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

What software versions are running on your Pixel's?  Are you both using the same messaging app and, if so, what versions are running?  Could be the newer Pixel's app is formating the EXIF data such that the older Pixel's app cannot save it properly.  Have you ventured onto a Google Pixel forum (Google not Verizon) with this issue?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want your devices to function as it should. Do you know if the other devices that send you MMS messages are Pixels or another device? BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes