Not able to prefer WiFi calling on Pixel 3XL
trainer82986
Enthusiast - Level 2

TL/WR - Verizon removed a standard Android feature toggle so they can get more money and listen to our calls on their network. 

I have a Pixel 3XL. I recently moved to a new house and work in the basement due to COVID. I am very frustrated that Verizon has chosen to disable a setting that used to be there for people to choose if they wanted to default WiFi calling over network. This is absolute garbage as I have dropped several calls as there is a very very weak and fleeting signal that cuts in and out enough that the phone will try to switch back to the network and thus drop the call. 

The other scenario is that the call quality is so bad over the network that I can't hear other people. 

Verizon claims this is for safety but it is garbage. Bring back the feature, I am not buying any more products from you since you are restricting what I can do with my device. I also realize this is only affecting Android phones as iOS won't let Verizon modify their code. 

There are SEVERAL threads on this on here. I have tried every solution, and it doesn't come back. 

Verizon - let me choose my options and preferences on my device or I will take my several-hundred-dollar-a-month business elsewhere. 

Labels (1)
Re: Not able to prefer WiFi calling on Pixel 3XL
trainer82986
Enthusiast - Level 2

By the way Verizon - T-Mobile has this setting and actually helps enable it...guess they care about letting their customers choose...🤔2020-06-25 16_11_50-Window.png

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's terrible to hear you have such trouble with Wifi Calling in your new home. Can you tell us more about what's happening with the Wifi connection and Wifi Calling settings during this issue.

ZakC_VZW

0 Likes
trainer82986
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi ZakC-VZW - 

I would love to. Since I am in the basement, I have the equivalent of 1/2 a bar of signal. I do not have any indication of internet service consistently, however, every once in a while it will pop over for 12 a second. When I try to place a call, it wont go through as it does not have enough signal to call. Maybe 10% of the time it will switch to WiFi calling automatically, the rest of the time I am just messed up. If I am on a call with WiFi calling, and it detects any signal from verizon (regardless of how weak) it will flip to that, give me a message it can't continue the call on wifi calling, and then promptly hang up because it loses signal. If I try the workaround of turning off mobile data, it wont let me call at all since it doesn't have a radio signal. 

I wish I could say it was internet, but my friends with iOS have no problem with calling over wifi while here. Furthermore, wish I could say it is with my phone model, but my friends with T-Mobile and Pixel 3XL's have no problem as they can put their phone to prefer WiFi calling. 

My question is, why can't I? Why has Verizon hidden the option that I have screenshotted in this thread? It's not security, as you can tell where I am calling from by back tracing the IP address the call is going over. I am left with this is just a way to get me to pay for more hardware from Verizon which I won't do. I'll switch carriers. I have called tech support, and customer service, they were no help and told me to buy more hardware in respective order. This is unacceptable. Tell me how to configure my phone so that I can have the option to prefer WiFi calling, as this is a native setting in Android that Verizon has selectively restricted. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to hear about the issues with your signal and with Wi-Fi Calling, trainer82986. I know this situation is far from ideal and I'm happy to help out. We would never want you to leave the Verizon family. As far as the implementation of Wi-Fi Calling, I'm happy to lift up your feedback. Due to the connection issues, have you tried resetting network settings in your phone? If not, here's how: http://spr.ly/6605GuGB1 Keep in mind that this will delete any saved Wi-Fi passwords and Bluetooth pairings.  

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
trainer82986
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Ryan, 

Yes, I have reset the network settings. The problem is that because there is a very faint signal from the network, it wont switch to wifi calling. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for trying that step for us, trainer82986. Now let me ask you, did you purchase your Pixel 3XL through us or somewhere else?

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes
trainer82986
Enthusiast - Level 2

Through you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the follow up. We sent you a Private Note.

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes