MMS Not Working With 3rd-Party Apps
jhoyne

The past few days I have noticed that I have been receiving MMS messages very inconsistently with 3rd party SMS/MMS apps - sometimes I will receive them right away, sometimes hours later, sometimes I just get a timeout error and cannot download the message. I have confirmed the issue by attempting to send a photo to myself. Tech support from my 3rd party app confirmed multiple Verizon users have the same issue. MMS is working with Android Messages, but I would like to not have to use this app.

I am running Android 7.1.2 on a Google Pixel. I have attempted to solve the problem by restarting the phone, restoring default APN settings, and uninstalling and reinstalling the SMS/MMS software.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: MMS Not Working With 3rd-Party Apps
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why don't you want to use Google's Android Messages app?  I haven't had any issues with it, but then I may not use the same you want to use it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jhoyne, We want you to be able to use any apps that you desire. We are here to provide troubleshooting support.  One of the things about using 3rd party apps is that we have little control over how they function.  There is usually away to contact the administrator for the app from within the app.

Let's dig a little deeper into this. What is the name of the app you are using?  Has the app ever worked with our problems before?

Ralpht_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Janelle1021

I have the same problem. I was using Google's Android Messages app on my LG V20. MMS has been sporadic since Sunday. Completely stopped working on Tuesday.  SMS will work, however.

I've also tried Textra for texting - MMS not working, SMS does work.

My default Verizon message + app will work for both. So it appears to be a third party thing.

Cellular data is working fine for emails, facebook, etc.

0 Likes
Vicsvx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I to am having this problem. I am using a HTC U11 unlocked and have HD calling enabled. I am able to send recieve sms and mms using Verizon message+ and HTC messaging. However, when using any third-party sms app, I cannot recive mms. I searched for the problem solution but no real answer. Some say I need to have a SIM activated on a newer vzw branded phone then install in my U11..., but I don't have a newer vzw phone to do that with. It's bugging me a lot because I love textra. Not sure if it's a vzw or phone issues... But I have a feeling it's vzw. Any help would be nice

tylerk_vzw
Verizon Employee

We definitely want all functions of your device to be working correctly. If all Verizon Wireless services are working, but the 3rd party is not, this may point us in the direction of the 3rd party app being the cause of your issue. To test, have you completely disabled all apps aside from the one in question including notifications?

0 Likes
Vicsvx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have contacted the 3rd party app customer services and we ran some trouble. No matter what 3rd party sms app I install, including Android messenger, none of them are able to retrieve mms. They come back with an error (usually apn setting) and the mms disappears. I have Uninstalled Verizon message+ completely, disabled stock sms app and still to no avail. Like I said, in my earlier posts, it seems the fix is activating a new SIM card on a newer vzw branded phone then install that DIM into my u11. If that's the case, why is it so complicated to use 3rd party sms?

TheTylerSmart
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in the same boat. HTC U11 unlocked. I've been working with HTC and Verizon and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. This is mildly frustrating solely because both the stock messages app and the Verizon messages app are disgustingly designed.

I'm thinking of bouncing back over to tmobile simply because of the hours that I've been trying to get this simple issue fixed.

0 Likes
TheTylerSmart
Enthusiast - Level 1

I love the Google Messages app... Sadly, running into the same issue. It's a 3rd party app and the apn settings of my phone don't allow mms to work with 3rd party apps for whatever reason.

0 Likes
Vicsvx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I figured out a fix thanks to the android forum and xda...

This requires to reset your phone to factory so backup all your settings ect.

Grab a friend with a newer vzw branded phone and activate a NEW Sim card to their phone with your number. Once the SIM is activated, make sure that hd voice and and advanced calling is enabled. Once all is this is complete, insert you're newly activated SIM into your unlocked decided (i was HTC U11) and setup your phone.

I have textra working like it should with no problems and mms is wrkin with 3rd party aps

You're friends phone should be unaffected by this. Cause you removed his SIM and when he installs it again it'll be fine

0 Likes