Google Pixel text message reading in car??
fafaflunky
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got the Google Pixel XL, it does not read incoming text messages and I cannot reply to them by voice either. I could do this with my prior phone, Windows.

Just chatted with a Verizon person and they didn't know what to do.

1: Does Google Pixel have this feature of reading text messages through the car's blue tooth and also being able to reply to said messages?

2: If this feature is not available, are there apps that do this for the phone and which apps would these be??

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Google Pixel text message reading in car??
fafaflunky
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's because it doesn't work. I have spoken with Google tech support and they told me the feature is not available, or in the least the phone is not compatible with Toyota's Entune system.

They told me to enter a bug report through the Pixel Feedback system.

I did that and now it's just waiting to see if they make the fix for the next OS upgrade.

I have no idea how to track my entry so I don;t know if they are actually working on it or if went into a black hole.

But this is the answer as of now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is your vehicle?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
fafaflunky
Enthusiast - Level 2

Prius.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The year? The Bluetooth specs can change from model year to model year.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
fafaflunky
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don;t think it's bluetooth, I can answer and talk on calls through the car with the phone connected to the car, with BT.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Bluetooth profiles on the radio and the phone need to match in order to be fully capable of performing all the functions available. For example, my 2013 Chevy car will not announce the Google Maps navigation directions through the radio speakers if I have an android phone connected to it. However if I have a Windows phone connected, I get the navigation directions. If I take the same Android phone and connect it to a 2015 or higher Jeep vehicle, I will get the navigation directions through the radio speakers. I have a less severe issue with the readout of the text messages on the Android phone as mostly it doesn't always recognize when I say "listen" to hear the message when I'm in the Chevy car. If I'm in the newer Jeep,  I don't recall having the same issue with the recognition of my voice.

0 Likes
fafaflunky
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Ann, I appreciate your help. Thank you.

I would say that BlueTooth is backwards compatible so it shouldn't matter. However, depending on Google's implementation of their protocol, I can see where it may not work. Yet, why do phone calls work and not other things? That's an inconsistency. My windows phone is not a year old and my car is from 2012, yet everything worked out of the box, not extra config needed other than connecting phone to car.

I think I will take my questions over to Google and see what they say.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

surprisingly, i've found that windows phones handle this task the best. motorola does a very good job of it to, because they both prompt you when a text comes in. like "text from so and so. would you like to hear it?" i can use "ok google......send text to amy" to send a text in the car completely hands free, but i haven't found a way to get it to read a text to me while driving.

fafaflunky
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's because it doesn't work. I have spoken with Google tech support and they told me the feature is not available, or in the least the phone is not compatible with Toyota's Entune system.

They told me to enter a bug report through the Pixel Feedback system.

I did that and now it's just waiting to see if they make the fix for the next OS upgrade.

I have no idea how to track my entry so I don;t know if they are actually working on it or if went into a black hole.

But this is the answer as of now.

0 Likes
HenryB973

I had a LG Google Nexus 5x Android 8.1 and I was notified of text message in my 2016 Lincoln MKZ.  I replaced the LG phone with a Google Pixel XL Android 10 and the notifications stopped  So it has to be in the phone or Android 10, no ?

0 Likes