Why Has Visual Voicemail Been Disabled For Smart Phones?
japup
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why is Verizon disabling visual voicemail for smartphones?  The FAQ here:  Visual Voicemail FAQs | Verizon Wireless  says it is available for all smartphones.  I never got around to setting it up when there were changes last summer.  When I finally tried, it failed to connect to the network.  Finally took the time to connect with customer service and they said that in August, the service was disabled for many devices and the Droid Razr HD (which I have) was one of those.  I know it is an older phone...but it is still running Android so there should be no reason the service won't work.

Is there any solution?  The migration the new "regular" voicemail has pushed me to look into it...far more obnoxious than what has been in place for years.  So now I have the annoying regular VM and no visual VM available.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: visual voicemail disabled for many phones???
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually that link lists the devices that had the visual voicemail discontinued. The device itself is only compatible the Any path & Converse system on the Verizon servers. Verizon is only supporting the basic non-visual voicemail for those devices. The newer phones use the IMS system for the visual voicemail. Voicemail Comparison | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The software used on the server side for the older phones was discontinued and shutdown. The newer phones use a different system to access the Visual Voicemail.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
japup
Enthusiast - Level 2

that doesn't make sense...it is still the same OS.  It is not THAT old.

Really sounds like Verizon is just pushing for new phone purchases.

japup
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also...this:  Phones Affected by the 782016 $2.99 Visual Voicemail Discontinuation | Verizon Wireless  lists the Droid Razr HD as a phone that IS compatible with visual VM.

Again, the FAQ page linked in OP says:

"

Can Visual Voicemail be used with any device?

Visual Voicemail is supported on:

• All smartphones on standard monthly accounts
  • Select basic phones on standard monthly accounts

Refer to our Visual Voicemail: Compatible Phones page to see if your basic phone is supported.

Note: Visual Voicemail isn't currently available for phones on prepaid accounts.

"

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually that link lists the devices that had the visual voicemail discontinued. The device itself is only compatible the Any path & Converse system on the Verizon servers. Verizon is only supporting the basic non-visual voicemail for those devices. The newer phones use the IMS system for the visual voicemail. Voicemail Comparison | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes