Re: Voice Recognititon Problems
Karenfaust
Enthusiast - Level 1

factory reset will not fix the problem. I've done it twice with old software and with ICS

0 Likes
B33
Legend

K thanks Karen..b

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I know this isn't a fix to the original software but have you considered Vlingo from the Play Store, it works well for sending text messages and with the InCar feature you can start texting without touching the device?

https://lh4.ggpht.com/68FbDxvnzEkWDPAPzx1m80JNs6PapwZim9Nx_KOPMOEvXn7mFmcNQ0Jv9QfLrpahyw=h230 https://lh5.ggpht.com/IVB8hWaUSOANAKBtJvTOhbC2fvTxAbh253uHkjmcPxrY6szfnpP0qCUHeDkd-aQiJgk=h230

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vlingo.client&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSw...

0 Likes
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally discovered the solution

The use of "Voice Search" to make calls to your telephone contacts (long press the Voice Search search icon and say "call Blah blah") or to Text (long press Voice Search and say "send text to name and the say message) does work.

BUT...

The contact name and info has to be listed in the Googlemail Contacts.

Once you figure this out and import your telephone contacts from your Verizon Backup Assistant to your Googlemail contacts then it works!

It isn't straight forward on exporting Verizon Backup Assitant contacts in Googlemail contacts. You have to export the Verizon data to a CVS file onto your computer and then go to Googlemail and import that saved CVS file into Googlemail contacts.

The hidden issue is that the "Search" button is a Google app. Apparently it was designed then to use Google information in doing searchs,  including searching your Googlemail contacs when you use the "Call" or Send Text to" voice search options.

So once you import the Verizon telephone contacts into Googlemail voice search works as advertized.

I think I'm not the only one who does not use Googlemail contacts much. In fact the only contacts I had in it were a few email contacts. I did have a few phone contacts but they were for texting. So I was getting this mixed result using the "Send Text To" command. Everytime I had tried the "Call" command I chose a name that was not in Googlemail contacts. So the voice search for calling and texting options failed almost everytime.

If you need help on how to export and import the contacts ask away... I found the informaion on the Verizon Backup Assistant Plus site for export to CVS file... and on the Googlemail Contacts site.

I about fell off the chair after I imported the Verizon data into Google mail and the long pressed the Search icon and said "Send text to Brenda Mobil what are you doing" and it worked perfectly. Then I tried "Call Home" and it did... I fell out of the chair then. LOL

What a convoluted issue. LOL

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Yahoo isn't it good when ya find a Solution.b33

0 Likes
Karenfaust
Enthusiast - Level 1

YEAH!!!  Now can you tell me how to do this step by step so that I don't screw it up and really want to scream Smiley Happy I'm pretty savy with this phone but not sure I ever did a CVS file, etc.

0 Likes
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did it all from my computer. First going to Backup Assistant on the Verizon site to export the CVS file to the computer and then to my gmail site to import the file.

Hold on I'm trying to see if there's an easier way.

0 Likes
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK I never did this before so... no complaining 🙂

Go to Verizonwireless.com and sign into your account.

Put your pointer on the tab "My Verizon". Under the subheading "Device" click on "Backup my Contacts "

That will take you to your "Backup Assistant Plus" page. You will see all the contacts you have and some that Verizon put on for system access.

At the top of the list of names is a blank check box. Click on the check box and it will put check marks on all the names on the list. Then go through the list and uncheck Verizon's system contacts (you don't have to do
this but I didn't want things like Bal, Data etc in the Gmail contacts).

Now put your mouse pointer on one of the names that has a check mark by it. The name will change color and a new sub heading will show up. The sub heading will have four icons in it ( one on the left is for groupings, the next for messages, the next for delete . The last icon on the right is a gear looking icon and if you put your pointer on it will say "Actions". Click on the Actions Icon and select "Export Contacts" When you click on Export Contacts" a new box opens like this:

Capture.JPG

Click on Export and a new box open like this:

Capture 2.JPG

Click on the drop down arrow and next to "Save" and click on "Save As". A new box opens like this:

Capture 3.JPG

Click on where you want to save the file on the options on the left. (I chose "Desktop") And the click on "Save" in the lower right hand side.

On your Desktop you should now have an icon like this:

Capture 4.JPG

Now go to your gmail.com account. and click on the dropdown arrow on the Icon in the upper right called "Gmail" and select "Contacts"

Capture 5.JPG

A new box will open showing your Google Gmail contacts list.

Capture 6.JPG

Select "Import Contacts" and a new box opens:

Capture 7.JPG

Click on "Browse" and a new window opens. Select "Desktop" on the right (or wherever you saved the CSV file ) and click on the file and then click "Open". The name will be inserted into the above box. Then click on "Import.

If we have done everything right you should end up with all the contacts from your Verizon contact list now also in you Gmail list.

Now cross your fingers, pick up your Maxx and long press the Search Icon at the bottom of the phone. When the box open say "Call Mom" or whoever. It should start to call immediately.

Or maybe you could call Verizonwireless and they can walk you through it if this is not clear.

Karenfaust
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes!!! (Fist pump in the air). It worked for both the "call _____" and "text _________".  THe text I had to play with a few times to get it to work correctly but it did.  WHOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!  Thank you so much.  Now if Verizon and Motorola would only read this they can help the rest of the people that are having the same issues.

0 Likes
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

I believe you can do it from your phone. I just cannot remember since it has been a long time since I have done it.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Likes