Voice Recognititon Problems
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having some problems with the voice search recognizing some of my words. I can understand it stumbling on "Jean" or "Cell" but it also stumbles on "Brenda" and others. I want to say it worked better under GB than ICS but I had GB for such a short time that I'm not sure that is true. I also perfromed a Factory Data Reset.

Anyway...I can't find any options to help train it better. Am I missing it or is that not available?

Oh the "Personalized Recognition" option is checked under the Voice Search settings.

Thanks

Labels (2)
Re: Voice Recognititon Problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to be able to enjoy the convenience of your voice search app regor3! Are you having difficulties with any other apps? Have you tried using the voice dialer app and the voice search app? Do they both perform the same way. Does the system have problems recognizing your voice with every search? I recommend clearing your app cache as the first step. If the issue persists, please test the device in safe mode.

http://bit.ly/Ljt4tF

http://bit.ly/rxg0ii

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

1. I don't see any problems with other apps so far.

2. The voice dialer does seem to work better than the voice search. As an example if I use voice search and say "Send Text to Brenda Cell" it comes up with nothing in the Send to area for the text box. I have the same result if I try it starting in the "Text" box and using the microphone symbol and say "Brenda Cell". If I use voice dialer and say "Call Brenda Cell" it at least gives me "Brenda Cell" as one of three options to select. BTW this is a problem for my wife when I let her do the talking. We are both native English speakers and do not have a regional accent.

3. I have fairly good recognition in voice search for things like "navigate to Home Depot" or "who wrote Gone With the Wind".

4. It is not clear to me in your instructions which app I am suppose to clear the cache from. However I have done a complete Factory Reset and chose the option not to reinsatll apps and I also did a system cache clear.

5. The send text issue exists in safe mode also.

Lastly what is the "Personalized Recognition" option under the "Voice Search" settings?  It indicates that it tries to "tailor recognition" of my voice but it doesn't say how to train it. I do have it checked but apparently I'm not doing a good job of personalizing it. LOL

Not being able to use the feature to say "Text Paul Cell" and have it put the Paul Cell listing in the "to" box in texting makes my teeth grind. 🙂

0 Likes
Duewester
Contributor - Level 2

Open up the Voice Commands (not the voice search widget) app and select the wheel (upper right corner of app). Select the Adaption option. MAYBE that will help. But, like it says, be in a noise free environment.

0 Likes
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Duewester says: "Open up the Voice Commands (not the voice search widget) app and select the wheel (upper right corner of app). Select the Adaption option. MAYBE that will help. But, like it says, be in a noise free environment."

Hey Duewester... thanks for that hint. I did it and it did not fix my speciific problem . BTW I looked and looked for something like that but I just could not find it. So thanks!

I am now more convinced that the problem is worse in the "Send Text" mode when you use voice search. I say "Send Text to Brenda Cell" and then say "What are you doing?" It then opens the send text box with no name in the "Send to Box" but the message is entered correctly.

However when I say "Send Text to Cherly Cell" it works. LOL It doesn't work when I say "Send Text to Jean Cell"  either and it puts part of the "Send Text to" in the messgae area. Like this "Text Jeannie what are you doing" WTH LOL

So I changed the Brenda Cell contact listing (using the keyboard) to Brenda Mobile. I was hoping the "Cell" word was lacking some sounds the system was looking for. But the same problem existed.

So I had a great idea. I rest the "Brenda Cell" contact to Brenda Mobile... BUT I used the voice option to enter the contact name. So I say "Brenda Mobile" and it worked and the contact is now Brenda Mobile and I save it. Ok then I know the phone recognizes the words "Brenda Mobile"... right?

Now I go back to the Search button and long press it. The voice recognition box opens and I say "Send Text to Brenda Mobile" and say the message "What are you doing". No joy! I get the same result as before... the message is correct but the "send to" box is empty.

So.... I do not seem to have this problem in regualr voice applications IE entering the name "Brenda Mobile" in the Contacts by voice works fine. But if I say "Send text to Brenda Mobile" using voice search it doesn't work. This dilemma leads me to believe I have a bug in the Voice search... at least in regards to sending a text using the phrase "Send Text to" and/or in the "Text" app. It doesn't work well when I go to the Text app and use voice to enter the "Send to" information. To make matter worse it works for some and not others... Brenda Cell and Jean Cell and Paul Cell no wrokie but Cheryl Cell does?

I love technology advances.... sometimes.  LOL

0 Likes
B33
Legend

John i kind of having the Same issue when i visit the Browser when i do a Voice Search: with a Word Like ( android central ) it pops it up like this Android central with the first letter in Capital. I have done every thing that i could think of clear the Cache of both the Voice search & Motorola Keyboard. to Clearing the Cache Partition and nothing changes.

I did however though get it to Work with Changing to the Swype Keyboard i also got it To work using a Vendor key Board ( Smart Keyboard) And it works using  the voice search that is built in Dolphin HD

So Either Google needs to update this App to fix the Issue or Hopefully a Factory Reset will solve the Issue.. Thanks for time b33

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Give Smart Keyboard a try from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardtrial&feature=search_result#?..., it has is own voice recognition software that is way superior from the stock applications.

Also check out the post... https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/572950?start=0&tstart=0

0 Likes
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

I have always had this issue with both GB and ICS (even on my DInc with GB).  I did however find that voice commands is now way better.  I am able to get it up and running with my bluetooth and call my wife's phone hands free.  I just wish that when you want to send a message it would not open the text message.  You have to then tap on the microphone icon (btw this option requires you to have data connection).  Supposedly Jellybean is supposed to have taken care of this problem.  We will see, that is if we get it on the Maxx.

0 Likes
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the links. I am going to try Smart Keyboard and see if it fixes the problem.

I'll post back.

BTW my wife suggested I take the jawbreaker out of my mouth when I use voice search.... but I think she's just swinging in the dark. 🙂

0 Likes
B33
Legend

It's done a Fair piece for Me it may not have the new flashy microphone that Google Voice does but it works Correctly..and to me working correctly far ways better than being pretty and New..

0 Likes