Nougat update drains battery way too fast
JOHBUS59
Enthusiast - Level 2

My battery was working just fine until Motorola pushed out the Nougat 7.0 update on 2/28.  Now I can't get 4 hours out of my battery and the phone shuts down when the indicator says 32% left.  The Android OS is by far the highest consumer of the battery.  Several apps are also broken, as noted by other users on this forum, but the battery is by far the biggest issue.  This phone is barely over a year old and Motorola has broken it. 

Labels (2)
Re: Nougat update drains battery way too fast
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should try a system cache clear through the recovery menu.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JOHBUS59
Enthusiast - Level 2

I already did.  No impact.

0 Likes
Vizyx

Same   Problem - my phone's battery now drains rapidly, erratically.  Whole charging, the TurboCharging icon will display and the banner to use original cable & charger will appear, then the phone will go dead.  Only my wireless charger seems to work ok, but is slow.

this is a big problem for me as I will probably have to back to a previous phone, for reliability.  These types of problems were noted with Nexus, as they were upgrading to Nougat 7.0.. A fix  was applied, but we seem to be getting the non-fixed version.  Why would Motorola do this?

0 Likes
ALTA42

Same problem here.  Voicemail is the second most used app draining the battery, at 11%, and I haven't even gotten a call.  There are reports of Voicemail (and Android system) eating battery on lots of models and on other networks.  Saw that Sprint put out a patch that fixed it.  Waiting for Verizon to do the same.  Don't suggest factory reset - I don't have hours to figure out how to backup and restore for someone else's buggy update.

0 Likes
Vizyx

Not the factory reset that wipes the phone. If you go to the battery function, you can do a "battery optimization" for all apps. All it does is resets all of the apps to optimized battery function. No data is lost. When you reopen an app for the first time, it will as for access permissions.

Once that was done, my phone seems to have returned to normal battery behavior. Try it, you won't lose any data.

I did reboot it after I recharged the phone. For the moment, the phone seems to be working correctly - all the battery functions seem normal.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
JOHBUS59
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually I think the battery optimization function is done automatically by the OS - it just shows you which apps are optimized and which are not.

My phone continued to drain per my original post above, so now I've tried a factory reset and we'll see if that helps.  What a pain - it took hours to rebuild the phone, and after doing the Verizon cloud restore, my photos are completely messed up.

0 Likes