Re: No WiFi after Jelly Bean Update
EMarioC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have to say I too have spent an EXTRA Ordinary amount of time on connectivity issues after the JB ‘Update’?? In the end after more than one replacement phone… using the last replacement that ended up being a Razr Maxx HD I also at first still had Wi-Fi issues. I did a factory reset erase all on the HD… then tested for multiple days… Candidly I have never had such a good Wi-Fi connection ever, and an important point here! I DID NOT change my ROUTERS!!!

New issue however, the Verizon Network has been problematic since the factory reset. However I don’t think it any the phones I have been sent. I say this because they all have had low voice signal issues. My original Razr Maxx (non HD) and the replacement Razr Maxx (non HD) as well as the replacement Razr HD have all had the same issue of dropping voice calls. The signal on all is very low, few is any bars from my office. On the road it is better. In the past from my office the voice signal has not been great, however what changed has been the JB update.

Tools that can help…

I am using an app from the market that logs my radio strength, my dropped calls and my loss of data connection. The app I am using for this purpose are StMurray Cell Connectivity Tracker for the Verizon/Data signal and RF Signal Tracker. Using these tools helps substantiate with actual exportable data documented evidence of exactly what is happening. These apps provide a cornucopia of information for the Cellular Voice and Data Networks as well as Wi-Fi networks.

Good Luck All. Please keep sharing…

0 Likes
woodylaura
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told by my ISP that there is no firmware update for my router and if they send me a new router I will have to pay shipping charges.  We live in a rural area and can't just run to the store for a new router.  When I explained to him that Verizon had stated that my router had a level 5 security and my husband's razr maxx is a level 7 or 8, he said in his 20 years in IT he had never heard those terms and it sounded live Verizon/Motorola were just trying to pass the buck.

0 Likes
woodylaura
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've done all of that and it did not help.

0 Likes
Not applicable

How much could shipping charges be?  Either keep the router you have and don't connect or order a new router.  You could also install a router behind your router, but I'm not about to try and explain that.

0 Likes
EMarioC
Enthusiast - Level 2

There may be some confusion here. The level reference or more accurately the layer is likely about the fact the a router is a level 3 device. Your phone and its security has nothing to do with a scale enumerating levels of security in terms of numbers e.g. Level 7. I think that may be an excerpt from Men in Black the movie.

0 Likes
Don573
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have found the solution to my problem. A friend lent me his spare I-Phone to try and it works great everywhere that my Android doesn't. He's on T-Mobile and will let me use the phone and his unlimited plan for $50/month.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Typically a broadband provider provides more than one modem/router combo. In Road Runners case they use a dual modem-router made by SMC Time warner will either push out an update if you want it or not or you take the combo and do a walk in replacement. They are also users of Motorola stand alone modems for customers that want to use their own routers. This is what I used to do. When the company started gouging customers with monthly modem rentals for older not up to date equipment I purchased my own modem and did not have to pay that fee. However I have the newer Netgear A-C Router and with just the modem portion of the Motorola Dual modem/router My devices had no problem with connections.

Although the newer standard is not fully supported yet a wireless drop down to older G band is not really an upgrade and in affect you downgraded in order to connect your cell phone which reduces the connection speeds of every single connected device in your home and possibly the range. You have a temporary fix at best.

Elector

0 Likes
buschris

it's funny that CyanogenMod 10 connects just fine to my wifi, but the stock JellyBean Blur-based Roms will not!

I am calling BS on Verizon and Moto!  I am NOT buying a new router!   The only thing I miss is my HDMI out connection but everything else is sweet!

0 Likes
cindyfin

DON'T BUY A NEW ROUTER. I spent the WHOLE day trying to sort this out. VZ really blew it this time. I am sick of these companies shoving things down our throats THAT WE DO NOT WANT!!!!

Be that as it may, I have an LG Spectrum 2, worked FINE before this POS update, then could no longer connect at home, with a BRAND NEW U-verse gateway. It's a 2wire, so don't let someone tell you it won't work, it does.

What I had to do was use the mac filter on my router, (enter mac address of the phone) then enter a new network in the phone, using a static IP address.  You have to take out all of the existing addresses/dns stuff in it before it will let you save the new info. Once I did all of that, instantly connected. The phone will work on ANY unsecured network, so when you're out, most likely you will be able to connect. My router is secured wep-open, which I have for several reasons. (outdated computers mostly)

I HOPE this helps someone else, because it's EXTREMELY maddening, and VZ has lost me as a customer when my contract is up.

0 Likes
cindyfin

Ok, apparently I can connect to the network, but cannot get on the internet. Now I am even more livid. I am so done with VZ, and LG for that matter. I think I am just going to get another phone. With another carrier.

0 Likes