New Droid Razr M, screen "stutter" and occasional hyper-sensitive screen-sliding. Anyone have advice?
inssidiouss

I got a Verizon Droid Razr M about a month ago.  I almost immediately noticed that occasionally when I try to tap the screen (open an app, press a button, etc), the screen will slide super-fast to the right (so for example, on the Home screen, I can tap an icon and the Settings screen to the left of the Home screen will fly into view super-fast).  I notice this also when in apps like Words With Friends, or any similar app that lets you slide the view around.  This "hyper-slide" never seems to happen moving in the other direction.

I thought this was just a case of me needing to get used to a better/different phone & screen than what I just upgraded from... but I continue to notice it on a probably bi-daily basis, and have also noticed another issue (which actually might be one in the same, but just appears differently):

A quick but noticeable "stutter" where the entire displayed image on the screen will quickly shift to the right a few millimeters, then back left to "normal" in portrait view, and a quick up/down in landscape view (top of phone becomes the left side).  I have not yet noticed/tested if I flip the landscape orientation (top of phone becomes the right side) if it also does this in the same direction, or if the direction is reversed.  This stutter is most noticeable and/or frequent in full-screen apps that don't typically scroll through multiple screens, but I think I have noticed it during normal use.

Has anyone ever encountered something similar?  Is this "normal" for this model, and I'm just over-sensitive to noticing it?

It seems like it must be a faulty hardware issue.

Also, does anyone have experience with Verizon, swapping a phone for a same-model replacement:  I would like to think they could do a 1:1 data transfer (including apps, texts, photos, etc), akin to imaging a HDD and copying that image onto another identical device?  I know that's wishful thinking on my part... and I'm only a month into owning it, so getting a blank replacement wouldn't kill me, but I really want to think they should be able to do a 1:1 data transfer.

Thanks in advance for any insight.  I tried searching on here, and briefly on Google, but did not yet find anything specifically relevant.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: New Droid Razr M, screen "stutter" and occasional hyper-sensitive screen-sliding. Anyone have advice?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Inssidiouss,

Help has arrived. I would certainly be concerned if my screen was sliding on its own. Let's get this fixed. Based on the information you provided it sounds like the screen rotation application maybe corrupted. Place the device in Safe Mode http://vz.to/QYIRjH  for 1 day and tell us if both issues still occurs. Any device that is purchased from Verizon Wireless come with a great 1 yr manufacturer warranty that covers any electronic malfunction outside of liquid or physical damage. You would receive a Certified Like New same make/model device. Google backs up most of your information, so if a replacement device is warranted, you can transfer your information easily. Keep me posted.

Thanks,
Pamelaf_vzw
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: New Droid Razr M, screen "stutter" and occasional hyper-sensitive screen-sliding. Anyone have advice?
zelostos

Verizon,

I am having one of the two same issues. My screen will do the stutter effect where the screen shifts to the right momentarily and then shifts back. Like the other user stated, it is only in full screen apps. I placed my device in safe mode and the problem persisted.

What course of action should I take next?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning zelostos!

We're all about making things as smooth as possible here and that includes transitioning from screen to screen on your device so work on this.

Right off the bat, thanks so much for trying safe mode. That's helpful so as to isolate the issue away from third party apps. The next course of action that I would take is with a hard reset http://vz.to/Poj5E8 . Of course, you'll want to backup your information first via Backup Assistant, your Gmail, etc. If issues then persist, please don't hesitate to drop us a line so we can look into more options. I hope this helps!

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
zelostos

Good morning,

Thanks for your reply. I tried a factory reset out of desperation and the problem persists. I first tried soft reset, then booting in safe mode, then tried clearing the cache partition and finally just hard reset. Nothing so far has stopped the issue. The stutter happens about once every ten to fifteen minutes.

0 Likes
hobsmonster

I'm having this same issue...did either of you get this resolved? 

Verizon has sent me two replacements and after they receive the latest OS update, they have this problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi hobsmonster,

Let's get this issues resolved! The most likely reason for your phone to behave this way is a third party app that is conflicting with your phone's system. Please remove all third party applications (the ones you installed), power off/on and then install your third applications one at a time and test for a few hours before each install. Once you identify the culprit application just remove it for good. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
scott1jb

The "screen shake" or "stutter" problem is known and well documented in the Motorola user forums. There does not seem to be a pattern or a particular application identified as causing the problem. Save yourself the time and trouble of hard resets and safe mode as they do nothing to help. It seems Motorola must find and fix it.  Hard resets and removing applications is not of much use with the prepackaged applications from Verizon that we cannot remove. That would be a great help in itself if we could remove them.

0 Likes
IhatemyRazrM

I have the same phone and I am currently on my 4th unit and I am just absolutely feed up with this phone. Every replacement that is sent has immediately started doing the screen stutter right off the bat. Never have I had a Verizon phone give me so many issues. And the only thing Verizon will do about it is send ya another one so you can spend a few hours putting in passwords and setting it up so that it can just start doing it again. Verizon maybe you should get all up in some Motorola butt and get them to come out with a fix for it or hell replace the phone with a different model. Just saying.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I don't know if it will help in your case or not but if your Using the same Sim Card in each of the phones you was sent) You might wanna try a New Card just to see if may be the Card.. and to get a replacement card there should be no Cost for it..

0 Likes