Re: Maxx 2 won't charge while powered on and only charges to 80%
adamb_vzw
Verizon Employee

We definitely want to make sure that we check every available option, Captain_Allen.  I know that you mentioned that you have used the OEM Turbocharger.  Because chargers and USB ports can wear out, have you tried with a new Turbocharger?  Here are some additional steps that you can take: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-79086/. Also, how does the charger fit into the port? Does it wiggle or feel loose?  Do you have to hold the charger a certain way for it to charge?

AdamB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the
Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RL67037
Enthusiast - Level 3

EbonyR

This didn't work. Like the title of the issue states, my phone will not charge when powered on. Doing the battery recalibration did not fix the issue of not charging while powered on. I left it plugged in to a Turbo Charger for 24 hours while powered on and it did not charge at all. I turned it off and left it plugged in to the Turbo Charger for 48 hours and it still only charged to 80%.

Thanks - RL

0 Likes
RL67037
Enthusiast - Level 3

AdamB

I've done the same to my phone as Captain has done to his phone with the same results. I bought a brand new OEM Motorola Turbo Charger to do these charging tests and the connection fits very snug and none of these tests or the tests in the link you provided work.

To all of the _VZW people that are responding ... don't you find it VERY coincidental that you have two customers with the exact same phone that are having the EXACT same problem after the Nougat update? Do you really think that both of our phones had a charging port go bad at the exact same time after the Nougat update? C'mon ... this problem is directly related to the Nougat update. Either push the Marshmallow update back to us, push the Nougat update to us again (maybe there was problem with the push we received?) or give us the Motorola code for the Maxx 2 that will allow us to root our phones so we can install the software of our choosing. I have been told by a Verizon CSR (via chat) that this is Motorola's problem. I contacted Motorola (via chat) and they said it's Verizon and Google's problem. Someone out there has the answer but nobody is willing to step up. Will someone at Verizon reach out to someone at Motorola and get us some help? Please don't go the way of Apple and become known for deliberately sending corrupted software to mess up a phone just so your customers have to buy a new one.

0 Likes
RL67037
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, after discussing this charging problem that was caused by software with a couple of Motorola customer service reps over the last few weeks, I received this response from Motorola a couple of days ago:

Hi RL,

Greetings!

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. This has been brought to Motorola's attention and we are currently looking to releasing a new software to fix the issue. You will receive a notification on the phone when the update is available. You may also check our support forums https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Motorola-Community/ct-p/MotorolaCommunity for the latest update.

Thank you for being a valued customer of Motorola and we do appreciate your time.

Warm regards,
Motorola Technical Support
Maricar

So, keep an eye on your Maxx 2 software and let's see if anyone gets an update anytime soon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RL67037, we truly want to thank you for sharing this information. All of your efforts in this matter is appreciated as we understand the importance of making sure you have a properly working device. Please follow this link to stay up to date of the latest software for your device http://vz.to/2iGID6Y.   

SylviaT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!! 

0 Likes
ROBGOU29

I have a similar problem with a droid MAXX. It is clearly a software problem. After trying several chargers I tired one where the wall part glows when the phone is actually charging. Basically I have to keep plugging and unplugging the cord or rebooting the phone until the wall charger light comes on. Then the phone might charge for 5 minutes and stop charging even though the phone is only 40-60% charged. Often the lighting bolt on the phone comes on but the wall charger light does not come on. In those cases the phone wont charge. After reading many forums it is clear that this problem goes across several models and is not a wall charger or cable problem. I suspect what ever software is used to keep the battery from over charging is the problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sad to hear that you're having these issues with your Droid Maxx, ROBGOU29. Did you also attempt the same steps that previous members in this thread have stated? Did you try to plug in your Droid Maxx to a computer using a USB connection? We have noticed that this can assist with charging the device in some models when they have issues. You can also try using this link to repair any errors that may have been caused when updating your device: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-116950/ .

JoshuaT_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
RL67037
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, for a little update, I have been conversing via email with Motorola Techs. I am now speaking with Rae and she is the first tech to ask for the IMEI number from the phone. To me, that's a positive sign that they are going to try to identify what software my particular phone received. I haven't heard back from her since I sent her the information, but I hope to hear from her soon.

Motorola has a policy of marking a complaint as "Solved" if they receive no response to a Tech's email after 72 hours. So, I have been responding every 72 hours, even if on;y to say the problem is not yet fixed, in order to keep the complaint from being marked as "Solved". I think this is causing this problem to receive more attention and it keeps getting passed to a higher level of Tech.

I'm not giving up!!

Take care - RL

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RL67037, we sincerely appreciate the time and effort you have applied towards resolving your battery issues. Your feedback and supporting details have been helpful. Since software updates to phones are released by the phone manufacturer, our resources for assistance can sometimes be limited. Please check back on our community forums regularly, as a solution may be found by a community member. I also understand you are making progress with Motorola to resolve your battery issue, please keep us posted regarding the results.

LorenzoP_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes