Maxx 2 won't charge while powered on and only charges to 80%
RL67037
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

I have a Droid Maxx 2 that I have been using without any problems for about 2 years. On 2/15/2018 I received a notice that a software update was available, so I installed it. It was the OTA push for Nougat 7.1.1, 26.26.14.lux_verizon.verizon.en.US. The installation happened with no problems and the phone workesd fine for a few of days. On about the 3rd or 4th day, I plugged my phone in at night, powered on (like I have done for 2 years) and when I woke up the battery was at 51% - it didn't charge over night like usual. Thinking that I didn't seat the USB port properly, I took the charger and cable (the same items I have been using for 2 years) to work to charge my phone. After a couple of hours of charging, my battery had lost about 5% of it's charge. That's when I discovered that my phone would no longer charge while powered on. I turned my phone off and plugged it in (using the charger and cord from before) and after a couple of hours I checked it and the battery percentage was increasing, so now I knew that I could still charge my phone but it would have to be powered off. That night, I turned my phone off and plugged it in. The next morning, instead of being 100% charged, it was only 81% charged. Over the next few days, I have done the following to correct the problem:

Tried several different chargers and USB cables - no change

Cleaned charging port on phone - no change

Tried charging in Safe Mode - no change

Tried clearing the cache - no change

Tried charging for 24 hours - no change

Tried a full factory reset (2/25/2018) - no change

When I plug in any charger, I see a lightning bolt in the battery icon at the top of the screen. When I go to Settings>Battery it indicates the current batter percentage and says "Not charging" even though a charger is plugged in. When I unplug the charger, the lightning bolt goes away and Settings>Battery just indicates the battery percentage - the "Not charging" goes away. Also, even though it says not charging while plugged in, the battery seems to last longer when plugged in, even though the percentage continues to drop. For instance, during the factory reset, while the phone was setting itself back up (a lot of wireless communication and CPU activity), I had the phone plugged in and the screen on, watching what it was doing. The battery percentage would drop about 1% ever 5 or six minutes when it was plugged in. I unplugged the phone for a bit during this process and the percentage would drop about 1% every minute or two. The charger I am using is NOT and Motorola charger as I bought this phone used off the internet. It came with an LG charger and USB cord but I don't use it because the cord is too short. I use a charger that I had been using with my S4 (previous phone) and it has worked fine since day 1 (it too is an LG charger as I bought the S4 used as well).

I have asked for help on this on the Lenovo forums on several threads and I can't find any other Maxx 2 user that is experiencing this problem. Most of my history is chronicaled here: Droid max 2 Charging issue - Lenovo Community

Since this started a couple of days after the software update, I am thinking something happened during that update.

Thanks in advance for your help on this!!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Maxx 2 won't charge while powered on and only charges to 80%
Captain_Allen

I have the exact same issue. Happened with a previous Maxx I had also and I even tried a new battery in that to no avail. Will only charge when phone is off and not at all while phone is on. After an overnight charge the phone will generally reach a charge in the 80% range and then hold the charge as normal. This is the first post I've found on the net where someone is haveing the same issue!

0 Likes
RL67037
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did this happen after the 7.1.1 Nougat update as well?

Like you, I am finding that there is very little help on the web for the Maxx 2, but I have also found that the Maxx 2 is the US version of the Moto X Play from Europe. If you look at the specs, they are identical. So, I have been looking through different forums and reading up on the X Play and I am finding nothing about this problem on that platform. I see some problems about the phone not charging when powered on, but not combined with only charging to 80% while off. Most of those charging problems on the X Play have been resolved by rooting the phone. Another tid-bit of info is that I am finding that since our phones (the Maxx 2) are Verizon only, they can't be "rooted" ... unlike the X Play can be, so I guess they are not quite identical since the Maxx 2 has the Verizon "lock down" on it.

I have seen some responses on this forum that come from what looks to be Verizon Experts and I was hoping to get some input from one of them since this seems to be a Verizon/Maxx 2 specific problem, but no luck yet. I would like to to just re-install/reflash/reload the 7.1.1 software again and see if there was a hiccup in the loading process that caused our problem, but I can't even find out how to do that.

Are there any Verizon Smart People reading these to give us some help??

Captain_Allen

It did not happen before the update, but also didn't seem to occur immediately after it. My wife has the Maxx 2 as well and has recieved the update. No issues yet with her phone though.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is never ideal when your phone does not charge when powered off or even charge to 100%. I know firsthand the importance of having a phone that will charge to 100%. I am happy to assist with your devices. While the charging port may have been cleaned, are there any signs of corrosion or discolorization? Has the devices been dropped or submerged in water ever?

GregL_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RL67037
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply. From what I can tell by looking with a magnifying glass and a bright, there is no corrosion on the contacts. The phone is in a case and has never been subjected to water or dropped as long as it's been in my possession.

0 Likes
Captain_Allen

Same response as RL67037, no exposure to moisture and contacts in usb port look clean. This phone just went from normal charging to only the ability to charge when off to around 80%.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RL67037, your time and efforts to try and resolve this issue is commended. We definitely want your phone to work for you the same way it did prior to the update. I did find 2 similar reports of this issue in our Device Forums. Per our testings, after a factory reset the battery does require a recalibration to the phone as follows:

• Press and hold the power button until the phone reboots (10secs)

• Plug phone into the OEM Turbo charger

• Allow phone to charge to 100% (leave on the charger overnight).

The battery drain behavior should cease after completing these steps. 

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is what we needed to know. With regard to the device has there been any recent changes prior to the battery issues? Have you updated an app or installed a new one? 

Have you updated your device software? Please use the Device health check with the following link here https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-206364/.

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Captain_Allen

Phone is at ver 7.1.1 as of about 3 weeks ago.  No issues prior to update, but I can't say that it started right after the update.

I have performed a factory reset.

No new apps.

Reset on battery.

Checked usb connection.

Performed charge with oem turbo charger.

Had it checked at verizon store and of course they just recommend a new phone.

Performed device health check, no red and only a couple of yellow that I would expect.

All to no avail.

Phone will not charge at all unless it is turned off.

Will only charge to 83%-85%.

Ideas?

0 Likes