Re: Marshmallow for droid turbo
Dawghowse
Enthusiast - Level 3

Of course not, have you ? Let's not go that route, I am just trying to  get to the bottom of the problem. I will always believe that Verizon has the option  to unlock the bootloader and that would give people the opportunity to get the  latest version of  android.  You can be a fan of Verizon. I'm just looking for the best out of any carrier, or product builder. I have been with Verizon for longer than they have been Verizon.  Have a good evening. 

0 Likes
cmhjon
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi TamaraH,

Thank you for chiming in.  Why doesn't someone at Verizon contact Motorola and find out what's going on?!  Again, it's about communication.  As I've already posted, it's almost not about getting the update anymore, it's about Verizon communicating with their CUSTOMERS about what's going on.  If the Android 6 update was just released by Google last week, we wouldn't be having this discussion but it was released by Google in October, 2015 and announced for the Droid Turbo shortly thereafter.  Now, it's almost a year later and while I realize that it takes time to QA software and make sure the customer has a good experience (and of course that there are lots of phones that must be tested), staying silent while users day after day are asking for a status update is just not acceptable after such an extended period of time.

We were originally promised this update.  If that's no longer going to happen, fine...if it is, great!  It's time that we know what's going on.  This isn't that difficult!

Again, SOMEBODY know's what's going on so FIND OUT!

Jon

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Someone at Verizon Wireless in their testing lab most likely knows exactly where Motorola is at with the update. The employee or employees are subject to a non-disclosure agreement and can't release the information or risk losing their jobs. The same thing applies to the Motorola employees. None absolutely none of the carriers release any official statements about the status of a pending update. The only time they do release something is when it is ready to go and scheduled to start pushing to the device the next day. Early on in the life of the Android OS and its devices, a couple of carriers got burned by claiming an update was guaranteed for a device and gave a deadline. Not only did the deadline pass without any OS update, but the update for that particular phone was canceled altogether. Customers held that carrier liable for releasing false information and breaking that promise of an update. That carrier and the others learned from that experience and today we have the "silence" you are now complaining about. We can't have it both ways. If you purchased a device based on the promise of a future update, that is the wrong thinking and will only lead to disappointment.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
cmhjon
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are probably correct in that those employees are under an NDA however when it was announced that Android 6 would be coming to the Droid Turbo, that ship basically sailed.

Speaking for me only, I am not looking for a guarantee or a deadline.  I would simply like to know if they are still working on it or if has been abandoned.  I am ok with either, I would just like to know.  I think them saying something like "We are still working on it but don't have an ETA or if it will ever be completed." is a fair answer without disclosing commital details, let alone a release date.

As for purchasing a phone based on the promise of a future update, I agree that is wrong thinking.  In my case, it was the reputation of Motorola and the fact that I had been a fan of their products back to the days of when they were making pagers (remember those? LOL) that lead me to purchase the Turbo.

If OS updates were always a big thing for me, I would probably look at Nexus or Samsung as they seem to get updates much sooner.  It just so happens that Android 6 has a feature that I want.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Considering the news that Lenovo has laid off more of the Motorola employees leads me to think the chances of seeing the update just got slimmer. New Lenovo layoffs at Moto, company has now lost over 95% of employees in four years

Personally I lost my faith in ability for Motorola to deliver updates when they abandoned the Moto X 2013.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

cmhjon wrote:

You are probably correct in that those employees are under an NDA however when it was announced that Android 6 would be coming to the Droid Turbo, that ship basically sailed.

Except Verizon Wireless never announced that the phone was getting the OS update. Motorola did.

If you were really interested in getting updates, you should have purchased the Nexus 6. It too was made by Motorola.

0 Likes
Chidoro43
Enthusiast - Level 3

"If you purchased a device based on the promise of a future update, that is the wrong thinking and will only lead to disappointment."

It's actually going to lead me to an iphone at some point, unfortunately.

0 Likes
hammerhead13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I distinctly remember seeing on VZW site for the Turbo Advertising it was getting 6.0. That is the biggest issue. That was pulled and the changed the info after Turbo 2 was released.

0 Likes
Dawghowse
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes Verizon did at one time on their website said that it would get 6.0 and they did take it down. I don't buy phones with the expectation of them being updated, that being said this when bought was a flagship phone from Verizon. I do buy phones with the expectation that they will be kept to date. For at least 2 years. Now with Motorola basic dissolving into Lenovo, I have no expectation that anymore updates will be coming. Verizon has let me down as well as Lenovo doing what they did. Will I stay with Verizon probably not. Will I buy a Lenovo device, No probably not ever. Will I buy an I Phone, no. I stay with Android it's a better operating system. Looking at different phones now. I will keep the Turbo it's a great phone.

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Hey RONFLE22, we hear you. Having updates is awesome. What's going on with your Droid Turbo that has you looking for updates? Is everything alright?

This kind of questioning is off base....to say the least. People aren't necessarily looking for updates because something is wrong...they may be looking for an update because they want the additional benefits that come with that promised update. In this case, better memory management, much better battery management with Doze etc. (Verizon has touted previously that the OG Droid would be updated to 6.0 Marshmallow, though they don't seem to be now and Moto is still saying it will be updated, pending partner support). That statement from VZW Customer support is kind of like taking your car to the dealer and asking about a tune up, and the service advisor says, why are you asking about a tune up, whats wrong with your car.... I think most of us want the update because at the time a lot of us purchased the device, the 6.0 Marshmallow update was touted by Verizon and Moto...that's certainly one reason I bought the phone, and why I probably won't buy another Moto product from Verizon if they don't update it.

0 Likes