Re: Hotspot App that works with Jelly Bean
Asmodian
Enthusiast - Level 3

And we don't want them upgrading the bandwidth the towers can handle! That would be bad.

"Wireless service margins rose to 50.4%, their highest ever, up from 46.3% a year ago and 41.4% in the fourth quarter. Verizon has targeted wireless margins in 2013 of 49% to 50%, aiming for cost cuts of $2 billion this year with flat capital spending."

0 Likes
Not applicable

Asmodian wrote:

And we don't want them upgrading the bandwidth the towers can handle! That would be bad.

That really shows how little you know about the technology. They just can't add bandwidth at the snap of a finger.

0 Likes
Asmodian
Enthusiast - Level 3

They obviously plan to pocket the money instead of doing the upgrades, at least for this year.

I have not been able to find a good source for exactly how Verizon has setup their LTE network.  I believe they are using a 20Mhz band (band 13, 10x10, downlink 746-756MHz, uplink 777-787MHz) with three sectors per site.  I also understand LTE to be designed fairly cleverly and is able to be configured with smaller sectors (more per site) to allow fewer connections per sector but there are some interference concerns at sector boundaries which complicate the picture.  They could also, of course, install extra sites.  If you have any more information on how Verizon implemented their current LTE network please share.  I believe the long-term intention is to have the wireless space be a replacement for traditional broadband internet, everything I can find about LTE Advanced seems to believe wireless broadband is the future of LTE.

I know they cannot add bandwidth "at the snap of a finger" but they can add bandwidth and they don't because they think they will make more money if they don't and charge for tethering instead (this is probably true).  Then they mess with their customers and claim it is "for us".  Then they make 50% profit and you claim they are being entirely benevolent.  It is true their competitors' networks are worse so they have no incentive but the lack of bandwidth isn't due to technical reasons.  It is also true their stock holders like the money more than they like bandwidth.  Just business as usual, but don't try to claim they are doing the best they can, they are doing the best that makes business sense.

0 Likes
Not applicable

When you run a corporation, you get to decide how you want to run it.  That includes target markets, market segments, market share, prices, terms and conditions, product offerings, investments and growth, and on and on.  Their one and only objective is to maximize profits in the long run.  As long as they do that to the satisfaction of the stock holders, they can keep their jobs and their huge salary and bonuses and stock options.  That's American capitalism at it's best.  Buy some stock in Verizon and participate in their success.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Asmodian wrote:

They obviously plan to pocket the money instead of doing the upgrades, at least for this year.

You might want to read a quarterly report and tell me they don't spend it on upgrades. Do you not notice every month more and more places that didn't have LTE now have it? Not to mention Verizon has already stated that by the end of this year they will also be deploying LTE over the 1700/2100 MHz AWS spectrum they acquired from the cable companies last year.

I have not been able to find a good source for exactly how Verizon has setup their LTE network.  I believe they are using a 20Mhz band (band 13, 10x10, downlink 746-756MHz, uplink 777-787MHz) with three sectors per site. 

I believe you have to uplink and downlink numbers backwards but otherwise you are correct.

I also understand LTE to be designed fairly cleverly and is able to be configured with smaller sectors (more per site) to allow fewer connections per sector but there are some interference concerns at sector boundaries which complicate the picture.  They could also, of course, install extra sites.  If you have any more information on how Verizon implemented their current LTE network please share.  I believe the long-term intention is to have the wireless space be a replacement for traditional broadband internet, everything I can find about LTE Advanced seems to believe wireless broadband is the future of LTE.

Each sector a Verizon cell tower has can handle a MAX of 150 Mbps and downlink. Now do the math. How many people streaming Netflix at 5 Mbps can the sector handle at once? Not many.

LTE Advanced can double this so when deployed that will help. But more spectrum is also needed. Some of it will come from the auctioning of OTA TV airwaves. This auction won't happen until late 2014 or early 2015. Then Verizon would have to deploy said spectrum. It's not Verizon fault the auction won't happen for another year or so. Blame the FCC.

Also even with LTE Advanced and more spectrum you need a significant number of customers with devices that can use those that will also take time. Even if Verizon deployed more spectrum today how many customers can take advantage of that? None.

0 Likes
Impact9

I'll say this. There are those of us who have truly unlimited accounts such as mine which was an Alltel account bought up by Verizon. Verizon will just have to live with that because that's what I joined Alltel for. It's not a free ride, I do have to purchase my own phone without discount if my phone breaks.

Who gives a crap if we have wifi hotspot? For anyone not on an true unlimited plan, once they burn up their data allotment, just cut the data or they pay out the nose for more data. I don't see the problem. Let us get what we entered contract for.

Far as FoxFi working, that's just an update away and the developers responsibility. BT works for me. USB tether works. Wifi would be less complicated but I'll find my way around till then.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon doesn't have to live with anything. You're with Verizon now not Altel. Altel doesn't exist anymore. YOU have to live with that.

Who cares if you use it as a hotspot? Um.... because tethering it to your PC you can use HUNDREDS of GB per month if your on unlimited data. The network can't handle millions of customers doing that. Why should the vast majority suffer because you want to be greedy and use up all the bandwidth?

Unless you're on a Share Everything plan tethering is extra so either pay it or get on Share Everything or just don't tether. Those are your choices. No uses griping about other choices not available to you.

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you're tethering with an unlimited data plan, Verizon charges $30 for tethering.  If you're not paying the $30 tethering fee, you're stealing from Verizon.  Personally, I would not do that, but if I did, I would not brag about it on an internet forum sponsored by Verizon.

Impact9

Obviously you have no idea how contracts work when they are bought out. When a bank picks up your loan contract they can not change the terms, nor can a cell phone company. A contract is a contract and as long as I pay that bill they can't do anything to change that simply because they accepted the terms of that contract when they bought it.

As I said before once you used up your ALLOTTED data you should be cut off. Very few people have my type contract anymore as Verizon does not allow me to get new phones at the discounted price. If I want to keep my contract I have to pay $700 for a new phone. You don't know my data usage so keep those comments to yourself and any verizon rep with access to my account can verify I don't abuse my unlimited data plan.

Verizon got sued because they was not allowing people with tether apps to use them.You don't have to pay that fee according to the FCC. Know your rights or just be suckerd and pay their fee.

http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-wireless-pay-125-million-settle-investigation

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/31/verizon-to-stop-blocking-tethering-apps-settles-with-fcc-for-1/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tetheri...

0 Likes
Not applicable

Contracts last only 2 years.  After that, there is no contract.  You can leave anytime you want and Verizon can change anything they want.  Also, Verizon was sued and the result is this regarding tethering:

If you are on an unlimited data plan, you have to pay $30 for the tethering plan.

If you are on the Share Everything plan, tethering is included for no additional fee.

If you are on a metered plan (tiered data plan), Verizon cannot block 3rd party apps.

0 Likes