Droid Turbo 2 Shutting Off Randomly with Battery Life Left
gswan24
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have seen other topics on this in this thread but no real answers. One thread only had an answer of "my replacement phone seems to be working." Well That is not a good enough answer. It seems this is plaguing a lot of T2 users.

My phone will randomly shut off anywhere from 30-15% battery life left. Sometimes it happens when opening or performing an action in an app, sometimes it's when I wake up the screen to use the phone. Sometimes it shuts down and I can reboot and it keeps going, other times it shuts down and blinks the drained battery image at me and will not reboot until I plug it in. When I plug it back in, it goes back to 20+% battery life immediately. I use 2 chargers, a wireless Qi charger at night, and the OEM turbo charger during the day. I used to be able to go a full day without charging, now I am lucky if I make it through lunch. The quick battery draining happened post the Marshmallow update, and eventually the Nougat update. The OS is definitely the biggest consumer of battery life.

I have tried with not change whatsoever:

Wiping the Cache Partition (many times)

Resetting the battery tables (many times)

Running in Safe Mode to Test 3rd Party apps (it's not the apps)

Factory Reset (same issue)

What is going on with the update and these Turbo 2's?? I'm now encountering issues with my SD card because I think an improper voltage is being delivered to the phone and the SD card won't read if it does not receive a steady voltage. So now I have no external memory in my phone.

I am currently running:

Android 7.0

System Version: 25.11.10.kinzie_verizon.verizon.en.US

Build #: NCK25.118-10

Configuration Version: I15.MOT.XT1585.0

Labels (2)
Re: Droid Turbo 2 Shutting Off Randomly with Battery Life Left
bforsse
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the exact same problem.

Android 7.0

System Version 25.201.6.kinzie_verizon.verizon.en.US

Build #: NCKS25.118-10-6

Configuration Version:  I15.MOT.XT1585.0

0 Likes
ChristiLockridge
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem with 2 of the three T2 we have in our home. It's started shutting off at 20-25% and now they shut down at 65%. I have they find a solution soon.

0 Likes
jacob_l123
Enthusiast - Level 3

That isn't something that should be happening. I would recommend all users that have this issue to get a warranty replacement. There are 2 ways to get it free of charge. One is to use your one year warranty if you have purchased your device in the past year. If not, then use tje insurance for the line of you bought it for it. It seems like you have tried all troubleshooting steps, so a warranty replacement sees like tour best option. I hope you can get this fixed!

J.

0 Likes
bforsse
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would guess that most of these Droids are out of factory warranty, and insurance replacement is not really a free of charge option. This seems like a major flaw with this phone model, when will the root cause be determined from all the returned phones?  Will there be a recall that doesn't require an insurance deductible? (I'm assuming you are a Verizon representative based on your username.)

jacob_l123
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am actually not a Verizon rep, but I actually own a Droid turbo 2 myself. I would contact customer service and say that many phones are having this issue and demand a free replacement. That's all that can probably be done IF your phone is out of factory warranty. If any phone's we're bought under a year ago and having this issue, get a warranty replacement before the warranty runs out.

I don't have this issue but I can understand the possibility of this happening especially with reports with the same under previous iPhones.

J

0 Likes
Jaysquared
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately your only option is to keep going through replacement devices as long as your warranty will cover a manufacturers defect.

I bought this device a month after it launched. Within a year I had it replaced 4 times. I spoke with a Verizon representative using this sites chat now feature. They openly acknowledged that Verizon is aware of this manufacturers defect. They also then contacted Lenovo, who now owns Motorola, with me online seeing if they had any suggestions. They admitted to being aware of this defect as well but wanted me to send in my now 3rd replacement device so they could further investigate and fix it. I still have the transcript saved in my email.

The fact that Verizon still promotes a device that has a known and acknowledged critical defect like this is just wrong. If you have total device protection on the line just keep replacing it and filing claims until they have to give you a different device.

I personally just upgraded a month ago and will never again purchase a Motorola device for this very reason. I'd file a report with the BBB but it's just not worth the time and hastle at this point. Verizon isn't what they once were.

Maceo77

FWIW, same issue here/same solutions tried, same end result.  Verizon csr at the store offered a refurb/no solutions.  Poor support all the way around.

0 Likes
kflin01
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine has been doing this since the 6/9 security update. Had zero problems before hand. If I see that it dies at 15-20% I plug it in for a few (it reads 15-20%) and reboot it. When it comes back on after the reboot it says 3-4%. It's clearly not reporting the right battery life. It also isn't holding the charge/draining. I can go from 100 to 50 in 4 hours with it sitting in my purse with it set to DND.

The security update is what [Removed] up my phone.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service 

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

CANTOS_SANDY
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same problem too.  Noticed it right after the update.  Never had it prior to the update.  It's ridiculous and so frustrating!!!!!