Droid Razr no longer can connect to GPS
tjhughes27
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since the JB update I have been unable to connect to GPS in either Google Maps or VZ navigation.  Anyone else having this issue?  If so please post the way you overcame this issue or contact Support so they can get a fix underway.  I insured that all GPS actions are enabled, cleared the Cache in all apps and cleared the Cache for the phone through Tech Support and still can't get the phone to connect to GPS

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Razr no longer can connect to GPS
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@tjhughes27

Let's ensure you're able to navigate using Google Maps and VZ Navigator again!  Try testing by downloading a GPS Test application in the Google Play Store.  You should be able to go into the app menu and reset or clear GPS.  Close the application and retest your GPS apps (Google Maps and VZ Navigator).  Let me know how this works out for you.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

With JB they added some features to is. In order to get this to work you need to go to Settings>Google>Location Settings and slide the slide bar to the right or On. By default this is turned off.  Basically you need to give permission for Google Apps to access your location.

0 Likes
SCLori

Mine isn't working either and it's so frustrating!  Evidently a lot of people have this problem because there are posts about it on every android forum I searched, but not a real solution that has worked for me. My GPS is on, I have wiped the partition cache, downloaded apps to check the GPS, reset numerous times, tried turning the bluetooth on and off as some suggested, etc.... still no GPS on maps.  Please help us out here Verizon!

0 Likes
Not applicable

I have a Droid Razr Maxx on JB and the GPS works fine.  I have no idea why your's doesn't.  Did you go into Settings - Location Access and make sure it is on there?

0 Likes
SCLori

Yep, I have toggled it on and off about a hundred times today while trying to fix this actually.  This is crazy.  Maybe there is a difference since yours in a Maxx and mine is the original?  I don't know, but if you goggle this problem you will see tons and tons of people have this problem. 

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Have you tried turning on the setting I describe above? If that is still turned OFF then your location will NOT share with any apps. Once you turn it on, you will get your GPS back again.

You need to go to Settings>Google>Location Settings and then make sure the slide or toggle is turned ON.

0 Likes
SCLori

YES, it is on.  This slider says ON in blue, and all 3 boxes are checked.  I'm pretty sure if I could manage to wipe the partition cache, I can manage to make sure it's turned on, right?  Also, I've had this phone since the day they came out - I'm very familiar with it, sorta geeky, and usually the one that fixes all the problems my friends have with their phones and computers. So, thank you, but I have done all the basics and nothing has helped - have any more advanced suggestions anyone?  I tried the apps GPS Test and GPS Status and neither of them even pick up any satellites at all even tho I stood in the middle of an open field under a clear sky.   I guess I may have to stop by the Verizon store tomorrow so they can attempt to get it working....

0 Likes
Not applicable

No need to get snippy.  People are simply trying to help you.  Good luck with it.

0 Likes
SCLori

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be snippy.  I was just very frustrated and I had mentioned in both of my previous posts that I had verified that the GPS was actually on already. There is no excuse for my coming off as rude, though, especially when I came here seeking help.

So, I did indeed call Verizon the next morning and we figured out the SIM card was going bad.  Hence the reason for no GPS, but also for my connection issues recently with 4G, or having an intermittent delay with instant messaging, etc.  May things now made sense.  Since I had just gotten the phone as a replacement (same old SIM card used) 3 weeks ago because of a battery no longer holding a charge, and now this was happening, they let me go ahead and upgrade a little early.  I got a Razr Maxx HD and that solved my GPS issues, and gave me the super-duper fantastic battery instead of my little Razr's sad battery life (it had been a lot getting worse recently).

So, for other's having this issue - check the SIM card!  If it's that simple, it could save you a world of frustration!  Good luck all.

0 Likes