Community Leader
Community Leader

Kelly.537 wrote:

... I'm frustrated that I have to turn off WiFi when I send group

texts. This is the one thing that would make me love my droid as much as I

loved my Apple. I've reconfigured my WiFi to not turn on automatically and

how I'm draining my data plan. I don't understand how group texts is

treated like a multimedia text.

You don't necessarily have to turn off the wi-fi - just make sure that your phone is set to use both the cellular data network AND wi-fi when available.  My Droid 4 is set that way, and it uses wi-fi if it's available, and if it needs the cellular signal (for email, picture messages, or whatever) it's there as well.

Unless there's some thing specific to the Razr, I don't understand why it's not working - settings I  have on my 4 (also Motorola) are:

Airplane off

Wifi ON

Then under More...

Mobile Networks - Data enabled is checked

Network Mode - LTE/CDMA preferred

HTH

Re: Droid Razr can't send picture messages since JellyBean update
Bryan73

I have the Droid Razr M originally came with JB and with this last update I can no longer send picture messages when wifi is on.

I have to turn off WiFi or it wont send.. will send the text portion but not the picture.

was fine before the last update.

as long as I remember to just turn WiFi off it will send fine.

My guess is before the update the phone would automatically switch from WiFi to cellular data to send picture without me having to manually turn it off, but now it's not automatically switching and I have to manually turn WIFi ff to send.

Cellular data option is always on and never turned off.

I usually get a response from recipient saying hey I got the message but pic wont come through, then I remember to turn off Wifi and resend and all is well .. it's a little annoying but I have learned to live with it

0 Likes
zeromcnero

3 people (including myself) already answered that question quite fully in this thread.  I assume everyone on this thread would benefit from an answer to those specific issues.  I don't know that asking again helps move this along.

>> Edited for profanity <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Honeybadger365
Enthusiast - Level 1

HD user on a New device as of 2013-01-27, ran fine after the JB rollout and then on or about ~2013-05-13 picture msgs no longer send. It doesn't matter the size or the carrier. Even m2m fail. Also there is an increased rate of failed m2m txt which I never had before this time. Another observation is that web browsing is crippled over some WiFi networks, Turning it off and running 4g and it screams to life. So what changed on or around 2013-05? Did something get pushed? Reboot does not help.

Android 4.1.2

Sys 9.16.6 XT926

0 Likes
gbatch

I'm having the same problem on my RAZR MAXX.  can't send pictures and can't send MMS.  someone else in this thread suggested turning off wifi, which does work, but seems like a stupid requirement.  go to 'all settings', then 'more'.  go to 'mobile networks' and make sure 'data enabled' is checked.  under 'network mode', select 'LTE/CDMA'...  this will make things work, but then the phone won't use wifi correctly. close the settings, now go back in and change 'network mode' back to 'Global'.  When I did this, my MMS messages sent using the cell network and everything else used wifi.  Hope this solves the problem for everyone else.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Gbatch,

Picture Messages are important memories! I know having a properly working phone is important. I want to help. MMS messages are sent over the Verizon Wireless network. MMs messages can send when WIFI is turned on, depending on how strong your Verizon Wireless network signal. If you are in a stronger VZW signal area then sending messages with Wifi turned on will work. If you are in a weaker VZW signal area then sending MMS messages with WiFi turned on will not work. Hope this helps!

Pamela_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
roachman55
Enthusiast - Level 2

So in other words we are screwed because I just moved to a new house and only get 3G with 1 signal bar and have been using wifi and having bad luck sending pictures, what gives I thought wifi would be answer for the problem of not having good Verizon signal

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As noted earlier in this thread, picture messages won't send over wi-fi, you have to have a network connection.  For some folks that have wi-fi and a network connection both enabled, their phones switch seamlessly between the two as needed.  For others (and this may be your case), wi-fi has to be turned off so that the network connection can send/receive picture messages.  A pain I know, but it is what it is sometimes.

B33
Legend

+1 and the last Sentence.. to roachman are you located in the country or just off the fringe of the 4G ?

0 Likes
Bob7765

Dear god, some clarification is needed for all of you conflating WiFi and Cellular network communication.

SMS/MMS are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, sent over the cellular connection. Not 3G, not 4G, not WiFi - cellular.

SMS is a cellular system functionality - it's origins are in transporting Short Messages in the management frames of the cellular network, which were under-utilized by about 1300 bits (~1300bits/8bits per byte=~160 characters) . MMS is transported by converting the image to a binary stream and encapsulating that into the same Management Frames.

So technically, SMS/MMS can NEVER be transported by any other network as they're both functions of the Cellular network itself - there is no equivalent on a WiFi network, or 3G or 4G, since those networks were designed for a very different use-case than cell.

So, WiFi being on is technically irrelevant to whether you can send SMS/MMS as the Texting app only knows how to transport them via cell, even if WiFi is on.

That being said, if a phone cannot transport SMS/MMS when Wifi is on and you have a good cell signal, then there is something wrong with the software of the phone - some mistake was made in the setup by the software vendor, and only the software vendor is going to be able to resolve this issue.

Now, Verizon, let's get some pressure on Google to resolve this, as it's very clearly a software issue, as it appeared AFTER the JB update, even with the stock Messaging app.

0 Likes