Droid Razr M: No Audio from Earpiece!
jimmyz12
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Droid Razr M that I've had a for a few months.  Recently, the earpiece stopped working!  Now, in order to hear a phone call, I need to put it on speaker phone or wear a bluetooth headset!  Callers can hear me just fine through the microphone:  I just can't hear them unless I put it on speaker phone or use the headset all the time, which is not practical.  Also, at the same time, some other things now no longer have audio:  the alarm clock, the Play music player, and annoyingly, the GPS ... very frustrating!  I have tried booting the phone into "safe" mode, tried a hard reset ... NOTHING.  I did purchase the insurance for the phone:  can I just go get it swapped?  It is hard to use it at this point.

Jim

Labels (2)
Re: Droid Razr M: No Audio from Earpiece!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sure the Razr is difficult to use at this point, jimmyz12!
Let's see what we need to do to get the sound back.
First, let's remove any cases & headphones in order to complete all troubleshooting steps effectively.
I'm sure you have already tried to adjust the volume, but I want you to do it again.
Go to Apps>Settings>Sound Which do you have selected? Either Wired stereo devices or Speaker should be selected.
Once you have done these steps, please soft reset http://bit.ly/PLtWM9 and try it again.
If that works, great! If not, you will want to clear the cache partition by completing the steps listed here http://vz.to/10DQnEZ. I want you to go ahead and then http://bit.ly/OJWrbo. How is the sound now?

I know I have provided several steps, but I want to determine if there is a hardware problem with the Razr.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

jimmyz12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tamara,

Neither "Wired stereo devices or Speaker" is an available option under Apps>Settings>Sound.  The only options listed are:

Phone ringtone

Vibrate when ringing (which it doesn't do now, whether checked or not)

SYSTEM

Default notification

Dial pad touch tones

Touch sounds

Screen lock sound

Vibrate on touch

Emergency tone

Call connect

Network lost tone

Roaming tone

Software update alert

Battery full notification

That's it ... all the settings.  Did an Android update wipe out the settings you're talking about?

Jim

0 Likes
jimmyz12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tamara, In the meantime, I did the other steps you outlined above:  soft reboot, clearing the cache, safe mode and removing recently installed apps .... nothing has restored audio to the earpiece!

0 Likes
jimmyz12
Enthusiast - Level 2

So ... no additional suggestions about fixing my Razr M?

0 Likes
dmdillon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Jimmy,

I had the same issue with my Razr M.  It just started a couple of weeks ago.  I could hear the ear speaker kicking in and out, so I am sure it wasn't an issue with the volume settings.  I ended up returning the phone to my local Verizon store for a certified replacement.

-David

0 Likes
mdalzell

I had the same problem yesterday and couldn't find a solution anywhere online, so I'll post what I found.

All day yesterday, no earpiece output and the notifications were coming out at half volume no matter what I did with the settings.  In the car this morning I noticed that I had my Waze volume turned way down... I turned it up and the phone was back to normal... so it's definitely a software issue. Even after multiple reboots, Waze was forcing the lower volume.  Go through any apps you use with volume controls and see if they're turned down. I assume a factory reset would have fixed the problem too but this is obviously much easier. I also read another thread post where someone plugged in and unplugged a headset and it fixed the issue.

Mark.

0 Likes
gibbsak

I started having the same issue yesterday, but it is intermittent.

0 Likes
Pete3

I have the same problem. I have two headsets, and both are affected.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Gibbsak,

Let's get that earpiece stable! Has there been any liquid or physical damage to the device? Have you downloaded any new applications to the device? Is there any debris in the headset jack? Keep me posted.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us@vzwsupport

0 Likes