Re: Droid RAZR keeps restarting
3Droid4sAndCounting

Through some experimentation and remembering having installed an app on my D1 called "Watchdog" (mentioned I think earlier in this thread?) before my D1's screen stayed black - common among a lot of older MotoDroid models.

Watchdog has improved vastly since then (2 years ago at least), and running it, I have found  - for me - a few runaway apps.

One is a seriously RAM-leaker called Xiialive, believe it or not.  GReat Internet Radio Streamer, but leaks like a sive, and I now have Watchdog kill it. Another app that is large and if its Notifications are set to ON, will fill your phones main mem of 40-45MB, the app itself is only 14MB! Wha!?  Well, it happens.  A lot. 

Now, with the paid version, I can blacklist (paid version only) these apps when they reach high CPU.

Unfortunately, the REAL monitoring we need is RAM consumption kills. THAT would be useful, but in general High CPU usually translates into High RAM in smaller devices.

So, in short, these constant reboots are INDEED caused by too much RAM comnsumed too fast.  One way to monitor this is to use any App Killer, and as soon as the phone boots enough so you can get into that app, manually Kill alll the apps that popup during the remaining bootup - you will see apps you never thought would be running, how much RAM they take up, and which apps might need some settings tweaks.

I have been running tests with Watchdog, and it has warned me indeed of these three mentioned culprits.  <Content deleted per the TOS>

Since starting these experiments I have also noticed that now, when I turn my D4 off, it actually STAYS OFF. This makes some sense as RAM will retain its charge when the device cycles off, but if RAM is not killed properly, there may still be code within that causes the reboot on purpose, could actually be some safe-mode thing: in that I also notice after a cycle of device-induced reboot, that on return, the SD and Internal stires are NOT prepared aswith a normal boot - why? Becuase of the RAM charged retention - the bits are still there, havent been cleared - bad OS coding if ya ask me, and ya didnt!

Until I implemented the manual app killing (using App Killer) while the boot process was still underway (after being able to unlock the phone after the initial bootup phase), I was chasing my tale with all kinds of two-button, three-button dances, until the phone would finally "settle".  The only reason the devices will finally "settle" is probably due to the nature of Anroid OSes, where I hear they are supposed to monitor and log-compare their own behavior, including sandboxing and booting.  Apparently they also need to Shut Off sequences to the code base.

<Content deleted per the TOS>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
notional

I too have this problem. I have tried almost every combination of 'voodoo magic' to keep this Razr from rebooting, but nothing is working. I can't really find any sort of clue as to why it does this. I have noticed that when I'm running Wi-Fi, it happens more frequently. Usually, after about 20 hours of letting it reboot on its own, then charging the battery, removing the SIM and SD card, booting it...then when it finally boots up, telling me the SIM card is missing, I manually turn off the unit. Then install the SIM card. Start the Razr. Let it load everything, then I add the SD card. That seems to work for about two days. Then the whole routine again. I don't have the time to go to the Verizon store to get another one, then load everything I have back on to that one. I've reset my phone twice, and it still rebooted. I also read this forum and did the 'Safe Mode', and it STILL happened.

I previously owned the Droid X and it had similar issues.

I will never purchase a Motorola Droid again.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Have you tried a new Sim Card you might give that one more try as there might be a Feature there leaving out on your Plan or Settings that was transferred to the from your X to the Sim that is now in your Razr. Have C.S. or have a Tear 2 go over the Setting just make sure something is not un checked or feature left out. It's disappointing to have a new phone not to work but if an Important & honest step is left out that can make a difference out it will operate.. b33

0 Likes
DBMaster
Enthusiast - Level 1

My RAZR started the reboot dance today as well. This happened on my Droid 2 and it was replaced 3 times before someone told me in a forum that the problem could be a corrupt file in the .Android_secure  directory on the SD card. I took the SD card out and used my computer to find the file and delete it. My Droid 2 had 458 apps installed on it. My wife and the Verizon store personnel all believed that it was the number and quality of the apps installed on my phone that caused this problem.

So I upgraded to a RAZR about 17 days ago. It has been running fine. I even managed to root it. Today I connected it to my computer and I deleted some jpg files in the DCIM directory and it then started behaving badly and rebooting.

While it was hooked up to my computer I did get a couple of phone calls on the RAZR so there may be something to what randas78 said. I have put the phone in Safe mode and tried deleting the last app installed but the phone rebooted before I could do that. I ran a task killer to kill apps but the phone rebooted while doing that.  I did not install all of the apps that I had before (on pain of death by my wife) so I only had .... er... more than 250 but less than 350 apps and widgets installed.

I had moved some apps to the internal sdcard or media area or whatever they call it. My physical external sdcard or real sdcard does not get accessed for writing. The apps find the pictures and music on the real SDcard but when I move apps to the "sdcard" they go to the internal one.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to stop this reboot circus?

0 Likes
w5a

It's a shame that this phone is made in this way, i even tried to do a hard set recovery but still same thing,

0 Likes
w5a

safe mode does not come, only options apears. and after even doing that same thing...  i did a few googling and installed rsd lite 5.6 and install C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\EPRJ_VRZ_XT912_6.5.1-73_DHD-11_TA-3_1FF_02.xml\VRZ_XT912_6.5.1-73_DHD-11_TA-3_1FF_02.xml\VRZ_XT912_6.5.1-73_DHD-11_TA-3_1FF_02.xml

to do a full flash, it does not work, bi cuz it says 'not to program'

i will take my phone to store and get it replace or etc

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Let Me show you How you Put it into Safe Mode there is a proper Way to do it..Follow the Instructions

What is safe mode and how do I use it with the DROID RAZR?

Safe mode is a method that allows the device to run without non-essential applications. This is beneficial for troubleshooting 3rd party applications.

Enable Safe mode

1. Power the device off.
    Note Press and hold the Power button then select Power off.
    Power button
  2. Power the device on.
    Note Press and momentarily hold the Power button.
  3. When the Motorola Dual Core screen appears, simultaneously press and hold Volume Up / Down keys.
    Safe mode
  4. Continue to hold the Volume Up / Down keys until Safe mode appears in the lower left.
    Safe mode

Disable Safe mode

1. Power the device off.
    Note Press and hold the Power button then select Power off.
  2. Power the device on.
    Note Press the Power button.
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi w5a and all the other members of the RAZR community! Random reboots on your phone are definitely frustrating, especially after performing a master reset. I have some troubleshooting steps for you.

First of all, there was a software reset on this device in early May. Please make sure your device has the most recent software (Menu>Settings>About Phone>Software Version). You can check the device and manually pull the software update as well, if you did not get it (Menu>Settings>About Phone>System Updates). Here's a link to the information on the software update, in case your phone has not been updated. http://bit.ly/sXxX2y

Second, I'd like to extend my thanks to the community for providing the steps on how to put the phone in safe mode. This is a good step to try, in case apps are conflicting in the background. I would also recommend removing any anti-virus applications or task killer applications (Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Downloaded). Then choose any and all anti-virus apps and task killer apps, and uninstall them. Once this is done, please monitor the device. If you did have any anti-virus apps or task killer apps installed, you have uninstalled them, and it's still happening, please try another master reset at this link:http://bit.ly/z30zKf

Please post back with any information or results. Thanks for your posting!

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Your Welcome and thank you for your Advice as Well Christina b33

0 Likes
PretentiousFop

Thank you for this. I went to Verizon from Sprint after twelve years (broke my contract) because the Sprint signal seems to be getting worse over the years, and they have just now started LTE. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Worst phone I ever owned. Appears to be a big software issue, and even though 4.0.4 was released by Google months ago, Verizon is still sitting on it, and the radios were horrid and battery life worse. I travel a lot on business and couldn't keep a telephone call without dropping. So I booted it for the RAZR MAXX two days ago. Spent hours getting the new phone up to snuff. This morning I'm in boot hell. I noticed first that my battery did not charge overnight, odd.So I turned the MAXX off and restarted, and next thing I'm in an infinite loop of reboots. I managed to activate Advanced Task Killer in between boots, and configure it the way you recommended in a later post. So far no problems. But now I fear powering down the phone. I too have 300+ apps. Just when I was relieved in getting rid of the Galaxy Nexus, now this with the RAZR MAXX. I think I'll go back to a flip phone.

0 Likes