mobile hotspot
sillyshyme

Is it possible to use eaither USB or something to get the droid inc as a mobile hotspot like the evo?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: mobile hotspot
AZSALUKI
Legend

you can use a usb to tether one pc....but i don't believe it can be used as a hot spot. not positive though.

0 Likes
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

AZSALUKI is right, The DROID Incredible does not have native mobile hotspot capabilities.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

According to the Android Developers Page, the capability is coming with the 2.2 update:

Portable hotspot

Certain devices like the Nexus One can be turned into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot that can be shared with up to 8 devices.
You can use your Android-powered phone as a 3G connection for a Windows or Linux laptop by connecting their phone to the computer with a USB cable. The connection is then shared between the two devices.

Now whether this will apply to your Incredible remains to be seen. It depends on at least two factors:

1. Whether the phone has the hardware capability.

2. Whether Verizon allows that functionality to remain in their version of the 2.2 update.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

there's no way verizon will allow it. one of the features of the htc incredible is that you can tether....for a fee. they won't allow 2.2 to offer a service for free to their customers. sad....but true.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Why should they?  If they allow tethering, they're going to charge for it, as they should.

0 Likes
gainesville
Enthusiast - Level 2

They already allow the Palm Pre Plus to provide WIFI mobile hotspot service, I would hope they don't muck it up on the Incredible.

Actually, if they somehow do disable it on the Android phones that receive the 2.2 update, or if they prevent the update from being applied,  I will personally start a class action law suit!

0 Likes
Dsmith

Try

{edit for TOS violation}

in the Market. Works for me. Allows me to share my phone's internet via USB tether. HTC Incredible and Windows Vista (64-bit)

0 Likes