Re: Why do I need to pay for Network Extender?
1969Daytona
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Tony,

I too have been a Verizon customer for over a decade. We have two lines that completely loose their signal and then run the batteries dead roaming. Verizon has made every excuse under the sun, it's your bad batteries, your phones are sooooo old, you live in a poor signal area. now I get "Well we would understand if you wanted to discontinue service.". I bought two new phones and couldn't activate either of them because they couldn't acquire a signal. I returned both to Amazon (pantech hotshot). I have been offered a network extender for $250. It's their network that isn't useable here, why should I have to pay this to make my phones work? I thought my monthly bill I have paid since 2001 (est.) was for that. I guess they have decided I'm not a valuable customer any more. I don't want a 4G phone or a data pack (and the bill that goes along with it.) they have written me off and probably don't want to hear my complaints after 2 years of problems.

I would think that my problems would be a sufficient case for a free network extender  but it appears verizon wants more money to keep me as a customer. My only problem will be finding another provider that has workable coverage in 89011. Did you have any luck with verizon providing the N.E.?  

karyn526
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a former VW customer and left for the same reason.  I do not get a signal at my house.  Once my contract was up, I left.  A few days later someone from their winback dept. called and offered me  a free network extender if I came back.  She promised to note my account as such and if/when I did come back it would be provided free of charge. 

Well today, I thought I might come back so I called and spoke whit a few different reps and nobody knows anything.  One rep said the offer was only good for 30 days and no longer valid.  VW has to be the worst company I have ever dealt with and after spending $50 a month for 2 years with a usage of only 10-20 minutes a month I am sure they made up their money back on me. 

bulldog69
Contributor - Level 2

Well with usage of 10-20 minutes a month it sounds like you dont even need a cell phone except for emergencies when your out and about. Use the home landline when at home

0 Likes
markr52

I would like to know the answer to this question also.  I am in an area of coverage that Verizon calls "extended digital", but in actuality, there is no coverage at all, inside or outside the condo.  Never.  Do I "qualify" for a network extender?  Or a free one? 

Even free, I understand that ANY Verizon customer nearby (say, all the other people in all the other condos) will be able to get a "free ride" on my router, electricity, and use my internet network bandwidth to make calls on Verizon.  How is that fair? 

To already pay for Verizon service, to have it supposedly in my area, not actually have any service, pay $250 to again use the service that I already pay for, then allow ANY other Verizon customer to use my internet and router and electricity??? 

Shouldn't that at least be free? (and Verizon is STILL getting a good deal, by increasing everyone else's coverage and using MY internet (and direct monthly cost for bandwidth to boot!  I don't understand... that makes no business sense.  But still, can I get one for free?

Another question.  If my neighbors are all (low priority users) already talking and I try to make a call (priority user), what happens?  I assume it does not just drop one of their calls so that I can make a call, but would instead remain unavailable until one of them stops talking???  Is that right?

0 Likes
lisafairbanks
Markr52, I recently purchased for $150) a VZW Network Extender after discovering network issues in our new
home.  I was given a discount by the customer service rep because of the poor follow-up from VZW re: my challenges. So, I highly recommend that you go through Customer Service vs. purchase online.
I appreciate that every situation is different, but here's what I can tell you from my experience:
  • Do other nearby Verizon customers get a "free  ride"? Before the extender, I would get 1 bar upstairs and 0 bars downstairs. With the extender, which we've put in our home office which is located in the basement, I get 5 bars throughout my house. However, as I leave my front door and walk towards the street, the bars start decreasing...and the most I can get is 1 bar at the entry of my driveway.  While there's a closer proximity for neighbors in a condo building, the "reach" seems to be very localized.
  • Shouldn't that at least be free? My husband has Sprint and they gave him a network extender for free. But, I can share that it doesn't have the same reliability as the one I purchased from Verizon. The signal strength on the Sprint NE is constantly fluctuating; the signal strength on the VZW NE is very stable. (Oh, so that's an important note. assuming you didn't already know it (as I didn't)....Network Extenders are provider specific.)
  • If your neighbors are talking vs. you want to make a call? My family recently visited (all of whom have VZW) and at one point during their visits- 3 of us were on our cell phones (...for maybe 5 minutes max). No one experienced any issues w/ sharing the signal.
I share your frustrations....particularly re: already paying a premium for VZW's network only to discover that it doesn't work in my home. But, this has been my only issue w/ VZW after nearly 9 years as a customer - so for me, it was worth the investment.
That said, if you buy a NE and it a.) doesn't work or b.) others are tapping into your network and causing you poor performance, I believe there's a 14-day return policy.
Good luck!
0 Likes
Bearandjohn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just called about this. I was not aware of the Network extender and have been dealing with my non-coverage for the last 6 years, I called and talked to a very good rep who first said that a network extender would be 250, then she came down to 150. After that she said I could get a refurbished one for 99.99 then came down to 49.99. I would have gotten one for 49.99 but they were out of stock. I asked the rep to speak to a manager, the manager said 150 was the absolute lowest...I don't get why I have to pay for something that I already pay $180 a month for and have been for the last 8 years....

Boomyal
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just went through Verizon's process to determine that I am now in a "marginal' reception area.  This is a new situation, just this year.  For a decade and a half I never had any reception issues in my house. It's not like I am out in the boonies.  I am one mile off the I-5 corridor in an urban environment.  Verizon's own maps shows that I am in a good coverage area.  Verizon gives no reasons for this change.  It simply is what it is.  Their remedy was to either step up to a smart phone (with all it's extra charges), pay $150 for a network extender or find another provider.  The latter is now what I am bound to do.

My current bill is near $100/mo and has been higher in the past.  I am not bound to buy a service I do not want nor pay for a device to receive their signal in my house.  I called one last time to give them a chance to save a long, long time customer and they were not interested.

So as soon as I can find a replacement service that I can use throughout my house, Sayonara  Verizon.  It's been nice knowin' ya!

cvnv
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been running the gauntlet with Verizon for a very long time (over 3 years) about their service issues. We have been Verizon customers for over 15 yrs. When we relocated, I noticed a decline in service. Fine.. not as good as it has been. Then the service was all but non-existent. After several "trouble tickets" and promises of follow ups which resulted in zero sucess or no follow up at all, I purchased the Network Extender as my rep assured me it would solve the problem. At that point, I even upgraded our internet service from dsl to cable in order for it to "run efficiently", changed all of our email addresses etc. Seemed to have solved the problem for a few months. Signed up for the home phone connect since I no longer had service from my DSL provider. All of which has come with a 2 year contract. Suddenly service declined to the point of ridiculous. I use my cell and home as a business line. Customers and friends have had to approach me at my children's sporting events to let me know my phone will give them a disconnect notice (even though our bill has been paid a month in advance for over a year) or the phone will not ring and go directly to voicemail. Often, texts are sent 12-18 hours prior to the time they are received. At Verizon's suggestion, I have upgraded my phone (again signing up for another 2 years) simply because we have 5 lines ( home phone, 1 smart, 3 basic) and I am desperate. My ability to pay the bill in advance relies on my ability to receive customer calls. I don't want anything from Verizon other than the service I pay for. If they can not provide that, let me out of my contract and let me deal with the devil I don't know. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Verizon is full of promises, escallations and fluff.

0 Likes
DonnyDonowitz
Enthusiast - Level 2

It seems like I am not the only one in the boat.

I am a new customer and I get coverage everywhere but at home.  On the maps it says I should have coverage.  When I am home I get none.  A few calls to VZ and I was escalated to "Tier 2 engineers" who would apparently determine that I was in fact bouncing between two towers that are both just out of range from the looks of things.  In other words they can't fix anything.  So the solution would be a network extender.  They want $250 for this thing!?  I just came from Sprint where I got an AirRave for FREE.  Before that I had AT&T and I got a MicroCell for FREE!  Why, in the bluest of blue ****  would I pay a DIME for a network extender?!  So that I can boost VZ signal for a 1000' radius for my neighbors?  I live in close proximity to several people and I'm sure they will enjoy the bonus but I am not footing that bill. 

Verizon needs to step up.  I have been arguing with reps for the 4 days that I have had service - I have 10 more days to cancel my contract and go elsewhere - I have an unlimited everything with 4gb of data - that is over $100 a month - does VZ really not care about people in this situation???

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator