USB tethering on the Droid X
SWD

I have been researching about whether it is possible to tether the Droid X to a laptop using a USB connection.  If it is possible, is that an additional fee?  

My wife's existing Verizon phone does allow USB tethering with the VZ Acess software.  Great for areas without a WiFi hotspot such as the interstate.  Just trying to find out for sure.

0 Likes
Re: USB tethering on the Droid X
DZiggy

I'm confused about teethering through the phone. Verizon online told me there is a 5G limit with teethering but unlimited with the phone. At the store, they mention something about charging $50 extra for teethering.

I'm trying out Verizon, I'm on T-Mobile now and let's say, I'm not impressed.

As for teethering, go with {edit for TOS violation}. It's in the Android Store. You also need to download the software to your computer. I haven't really tried to teether because I'm afraid of hidden costs.

0 Likes
keepingitreal
Contributor - Level 1

For 3G devices that are also capable of WiFi, you will pay $20 per month for 2GB of USB.  The only exception to this is the Palm Pre and the Pixy because they have a 5GB hotspot plan built into their service.  Also, non 3G/WiFi handsets are capable of 5GB plan but the cost can be dependant on what type of service you already have on your line.

0 Likes
DefiantBlob
Enthusiast - Level 3

{edit for TOS violation}

NOTE: I believe that Verizons Terms of Use require you to pay them for tethering no matter the application you use, I would highly suggest you ask your local Verizon store or call a Rep so that you know what might get you hit with extra fees or not. Additionally I used the Google apk files on a Nexus One I use for application development, the phone is on T-mobile and is unlocked/rooted. I in no way am encouraging you to change or modify your phones software or to switch planes or carriers, yes this is a disclaimer so I don't get in any trouble as we are on verizons boards, my goal is to present you with options not to tell you what you can or can't or shouldn't do.

Cheers

0 Likes