Re: Time to leave the Droid Hello Iphone
MTSOEng

- I've had my Droid for about two weeks or so....

... and already I'm climbing onto the fense about it.   

- I used to train the Verizon DSL people a long time ago to improve on the kinds of problems I'm seeing with the support for

the Droid NOW. So this really hurts me to say.

- These people really don't know what they are doing!

- It seems I've got the bug so many others have complained about and it has already become a pain in the butt. I've got the Voicemail counter issue that shows you have 2 unheard voicemails ni the notifications, when there aren't any. There is no way to reset the counter from the Droid, so users are advised to contact VZW.

Here's my story:

1. I called Verizon Wireless for tech support to reset the counter.

2. The young woman who answered the phone immediately asked "Did you say you needed to reset your password?". No.

3. She began typing for about 5 minutes. In the mean time, battery life dropping fast. I already understood that she was looking for the information in their knowledge base for the phone or service, and that's ok, and expected.

4. But, when she came back to the phone she said, "My system keeps giving me errors. Let me get you on the phone with my.... Tech Support", then the hold music began. I know what that means because I had to stop a lot of folks from doing it in the past. In stead of escalating the call to the next tier, she released the call back into the call queue. This gives her a short AHT (Average Handle Time) and DOES NOT SOLVE MY PROBLEM.

5. After about 15 more minutes someone new answers the phone, and I have to give my information and explain the problem all over again. Come on people! You guys use AR Remedy, JUST READ THE NOTES, or get after who ever is not leaving notes.

6. He seemed to understand what I was asking, and went away for another 5 minutes and came back to the phone and told me, "Its done. You now need to reset you phone by removing, and reseating the battery then waiting several minutes, up to an hour or so." I said ok and thank you, and got off the phone to do what he said.

7. An hour later, the voice mail notifications still said 2 unheard voicemails are in the box, but this time when I went to check my voicemail, I GET A BUSY SIGNAL INSTEAD. Yep, he fixed it alright!

8. This morning, its still a busy signal. When I log into my VZW account it now says "VOICEMAIL DECLINE" in my features.

- They really dont seem to have it together. I'll try again today, but I'm getting discouraged.:robotmad:

0 Likes
MTSOEng

Called VZW this morning (7:40 AM EST), got a support agent on the phone named Julie. She listened to the problem and the new problem caused by the previous tech support.

- SHE SOLVED BOTH PROBLEMS IN ONE SHOT!!!

- She did great, and VZW needs to have people like her training the other people I spoke with!

0 Likes
stevehy
Quoted: +1, the iphone 4 is a flop technologically, IMO. it "introduces" folders, multitasking, and a high res screen. oh, wait, those have all been released in phones (all in the omnia 2 and incredible). plus, even the most basic phone has the added bonus iphone will never allow, and that is a forced hard reset by pulling the battery out, carrying extra or extended range batteries, ect... End quote The technological flop has +10hours battery life with Wi-Fi (and Apple underestimates battery life IMHO) Can we get close to this on out Android phones without crippling them by turning off all their features. I think this is a very good thing. Folders that automatically are created using context sensitive clues to create the appropriate folder, you don’t just make them and then drag and drop as in Windows. You drag on icon for an app over another similar icon an it creates a folder for those based on type. Backwards, huh? IPS screen with 960x6xx density so you can see the screen at any angle and read text without trouble (this is the reason I switched to the Motorola Droid, as we spend so many hours reading our screens). This screen should be brilliant, true to color, and easily read at any angle. Just look up IPS screens on Wiki. I also own 2 iPhones since the original release and have never ever had to do a ‘hard reset’. BTW, there is a provision to do a ‘hard reset’ on the iPhone. The multitasking that Apple introduces is designed to save battery life, a good thing in my opinion. Plus, because their market is monitored, there are few apps that are as poorly coded as some of the apps on the Android market. Even Google complained publicly about this at Google IO 2010. Before you criticize like a blind fanboy, get your facts straight and bring some knowledge to the discussion. This is not a war, it is about differing technologies and Apple’s anal compulsive construction and design policies.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i read a live blog from the demo yesterday and then listened to the audio. i wasn't that impressed (keep in mind that i'm just an average user and don't know what half the technical stuff you guys talk about even means...lol). don't get me wrong....the phone sounds and looks great. however, it just appears that apple put out a new iphone that can do all of the cool stuff it could originally do PLUS a lot of the stuff that androids can do. if the battery can actually be used for 10 hours (not just on....but used) then i'm impressed. however, a friend of mine just bought a used iphone on ebay a couple months back to hold her over because her old one was more or less dead. i asked why she couldn't just change the battery and she started talkin about a kit that they tried with her husband's and it didn't work...and makin an appointment at an apple store (???) and the hassle it was. i still don't understand why you cant just change the battery (i know her phone was OLD....but still). i got 2 spare batteries for my incredible on ebay for $12. so i now have three and each lasts a day (easy) every morning i just switch it out....takes 5 seconds and don't have to charge anything for 3 days. so while the battery on the iphone sounds sweet....it's not that big of a deal to me. the front face cam is nice (EVO already came out with one). it's now the thinnest phone on the market, which is a phone after my heart!! overall, i think it'll be a great phone.

now...here's the prob. if you haven't heard it by now....it was pretty funny. jobs couldn't get connected through wifi (apparently there was over 500 peeps bloging live from the demo). he was stumblin around trying to demonstrate the web when he realized it wasn't gonna happen. he asked "got any ideas scott?" and someone in the crowd yelled "VERIZON!" the crowd chuckled, jobs got annoyed, and he pointed out "no, no....were using wifi....that doesn't matter."  i get that since he was trying to use it with wifi, the carrier didn't matter. what i didn't get is why he couldn't just use the phone's signal to surf.....until i saw my boy's post on facebook that said "HA! jobs tried to demo the new phone at CMC."  i asked what is CMC and my boy replied "it's comcast media center...where i work....and my iphone DOESN'T." 

i can't tell you how many civic centers, sporting stadiums/arenas, etc that i've been in with iphone users where i had a signal (even if it wasn't great) and my buddies with iphones had nothing. they don't get annoyed...it doesn't appear to bother them. it's like they've been trained over the past 2 years to just accept that their phone will be rendered useless in many situations.

the phone is cool....but i need to USE my phone whenever i like.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

For me, just the fact I HAVE to return the phone to get a new battery is enough to turn me off from an iPhone.

0 Likes
gtg453q

For me its simple.

IPhone = simple, intuitive but closed architecture and limited functionality.

Droid = comprehensive and collaraborative with unlimited possibility.

Call me a geek but I want to be able to make my phone my own, the Android OS because of its collaborative nature will be the best hands down with no argument within six months if not already.  And not to mention I need a phone that works with my lifestyle and workplace which is windows, exchange and crm. 

Apple has always been about branding, your buying a brand its that simple. IPhone is great but for what I do and my needs I would throw it against a wall.  Sorry Apple but your days of micro managing software and technology are over.

Oh and lastly I love browsing the internet or checking for directions on my faulty Storm 2 that is not on 3G when my friends are on their Iphone 3G and still have the loading bar.  And its also a plus to be able to make calls inside my house, for someone reason AT&T does not offer in home cell service in our neighborhood, only on the Sidewalks.

Incredible welcome home.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

reallyniceguy wrote:
bleh did you guys see the new iphone? Whats so great about it? video conferencing? LOL I bet you anything that verizon will have something similar to the htc evo. Kinda sucks to release a phone thats supposed to be the best phone out, when a competitor already released a better one. Thats what happened to the new iphone. best of luck with your coverage.

Check out this video---->iPhone Phone Zone

With video communication on this phone, people can use it while driving instead of texting. Could you say....accident waiting to happen?

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

iPhone is great.  Let's not pretend it isn't.  Ok it isn't going to be bleeding edge forever and they made a few odd choices with the ip4 though I haven't seen the official specs since the announcement isn't expected officially until what Friday I think or Thursday.  When it comes out it will awe iPhone enthusiasts but the rest of the world especially Android users will be confused.  Until now the iPhone has been the bold new fronteirs phone.  Pushing the envelope a little.  Now they are coming out with a comperable to current market phones only lower end some things and possibly a slightly better screen.  For the first time the only advantage iPhone really has over competitors is the app store with more apps than anyone else.  However, Android is gaining fast and iPhone is refusing to ever allow Java mobile on any of their mobile devices.  Wow really ok way to put all your eggs in a basket that hasn't even come to market much less caught on.  Yet it will remain one of the biggest sellers because it is a pop culture super power. 

I love my Android.  The only thing that would be better for me is if I could have full terminal support and the full Linux experience.  I get that it would not be a good thing in general but I wish I wouldn't have to void my warranty to get it. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

yeah....it will sell, and in HUGE quantities. the thing about apple fans is they are LOYAL. i was sure the ipad would be a bust and, of course, couldn't have been more wrong. but this was my logic.....the ipad starts at $500 for EIGHT mb. if you want 32 i believe it's like $800? so i figured that it's basically a slightly larger iphone (i know it is more capable, but aren't most users using it for entertainment purposes and the types of things you can do on the iphone?). what i thought was that if you know the ip4 is coming out (and would have that cool front facing cam like the ipad) and you can get it for $300 for 32mb, then why buy an ipad????? like i said....i was way wrong and the ipad FLEW off the shelf. now i'm not saying that these aren't quality devices, but in many cases you can put that apple logo on a stick and people would line up to pay $ for it.

0 Likes
TallGuy1970

OK, 

This may be a slight hijacking of the thread, but I thought some the Android fans on this thread may have answers for me. I am looking at upgrading my phone. That includes looking at switching carriers or staying with Verizon. I have looked at most phones and have answers to most of my questions, but not a couple of them.

#1 - Is is true that Android 2.2 allows bluetooth activated voice dialing, and if so, when will Verizon let 2.2 out to their customers?

#2 - Is there any software/app that makes syncing with my Mac easy. I don't want to forward all of my stuff to Google and then sync with my phone. 

Obviously, since I have a Mac, I am looking at an iPhone too, but I am intrigued by Android and specifically the Incredible.

Thanks in Advance! 

0 Likes