Re: The OG Droid Incredible, OTA (Build 4.08.605.15) Update
bessig

I second this question.  I love this phone.  Really never had a problem outside the low space...which did seem to be fixed, and the 'not enough space' when ever a new update rolls out.  That urks me.  Why doesn't it tell you BEFORE you go through all that crap there isn't enough space, so you can clear out stuff if needed, and then go.  And it would be nice to know how much space is needed.  I got rid of a lot but was it even enough?  I guess whenever I get the prompt to do it again I will find out. 

Not sure what phone I got with next time.  For once I have a phone that physically lasted me well, and runs like a champ but is being left behind in oomph.  So I guess thats the new thing... before it was phones just falling apart in 2 years and now its being left behind after 2 years. 

0 Likes
pre86
Enthusiast - Level 2

To force the phone to check for an update, go into date/time in the settings and uncheck "Automatic", set the date a month and a day ahead of today and wait a little bit (make sure you have an internet connection).  It will force the updater to check for the update again and it will redownload and install.  Just beware, this recent update has caused my perfectly find Droid INC to start locking up and freezing.  However, this could just be a phone to phone issue.

0 Likes
butterflyjev

The update is going to cause you to wake up between 2:00 - 2:30 AM because the phone will go into a reboot loop and will not stop rebooting.  I have dealt with this for three nights in a row.  I pulled the battery just so I could get some sleep.  I am going to try putting the phone on silent tonight and just let it reboot as Smartguy is telling us to do.

I also am having problems now with my phone freezing up.  I have to pull the battery just to get it unfrozen.  I never experienced this issue until this latest update from Verizon. 

It seems the updates are more trouble than they are worth.  This is not the first update that has given me problems.  I think that Verizon and HTC need to work on the bugs before they push out any more updates. 

Verizon's answer to any and all issues that I have had, is a factory reset.  They have never tried to actually figure out what the problem is and fix it. 

Wish me luck tonight and hopefully I won't have this particular issue (reboot loop) tomorrow.

0 Likes
dafish
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife's phone updated and she has had to do a battery rip once already.  My phone didn't update (not enough space, thank God) but once it does I guess I'm in for more of the same.  Verizon prolly sent out this update to purposely mess up everyone's  phones so we'll all upgrade and submit to their new share plan.  I'm thinking of switching to AT&T or someone else.  Verizon is getting rediculous with taking things away from us (unlimited data plans) or making it inconvenient to keep them.

0 Likes
1854l
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got the update notification,then it said I didn't have enough space. So I checked my storage and have more than half my space available in the phone as well as on my storage card. Then the update was gone. Sounds like it causes more problems, do I really want it anyway?

0 Likes
turrboenvy

I just installed like an idiot. It's already rebooted itself randomly once and I can't change the default browser. That stock one is crap.

Maybe it's time to try CyanogenMod.

I'm also frustrated because I didn't find out about the end to Unlimited Data grandfathering until the next day.

Edit: Then it locked up. I was, however, able to find the Applications/App associations in Settings and change my browser there. So at least there's that.

0 Likes
pstu69
Enthusiast - Level 2

how did you get by the low space message ?? i could not install update when i got that

0 Likes
pstu69
Enthusiast - Level 2

my was gone to.. although i dont have much space on my sd card, wich should not matter..i have plenty on the phone itself.. i wonder if its worth it.. but it has not come back yet after the low space and failed download

0 Likes
pre86
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's interesting you mention that the update through off your defaults.  I have found that, since the update, anytime I click on a google maps link in the stock web browser, it no longer gives me the option to open it in Google Maps, it simply takes me straight to the google maps website.  Very minor but I have yet to find a solution, even after clearing all defaults and with Google Maps checked off in the App Associations setting.

0 Likes
turrboenvy

I did a factory reset a few months ago to get the last update and haven't

had a "low space" issue since.

One of the things I found out: It's not a matter of space on the SD card,

or even space on the phone. It has a very small "cache" space. That's where

the data's stored for the browser, the facebook app, your contacts, email,

etc. I've also read that it's not even a matter of how much space you have

there, but a bug in the HTC Mail app. I don't know if that's true, because

I've only ever used GMail.

I found that the stock browser used a lot of space, so I use Dophin, which