Solution for transferring and playing video/movies through HDMI
tmaertin

This solution is for those of you who want to actually USE the HDMI out on your droid X!

I will explain after the instructions what movies will work and what will not (FYI - on my PC I am using Windows 7 but this also supports Mac and my Droid X has not been rooted):

1) Download and install the Miro Video Converter (its free)  http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/

2) Drag and drop the video you want into the converter. It will convert AVI, H264, FLV, MOV, WMV, XVID, MKV and Theora to mp4.

3) When choosing the device to convert to, choose IPAD. ***DO NOT CHOOSE DROID - IT WILL NOT WORK***

4) By default the converter will drop the mp4 file into the same directory as your original movie file.

5) Connect your Droid X via USB. Set your USB to mass storage mode under notifications.

6) Copy the video file to the DCIM\camera folder. After copy you can unmount your phone.

7) Once your phone remounts the SD card (mine takes a couple seconds), go to your Gallery app. You will now see the videos you copied and can play them. Choose the HDMI option onscreen to kick out to HDMI (you may have to hit the play button that comes up onscreen after going to HDMI)

***REASONS WHY A CONVERSION MAY NOT WORK***

1) The droid x only outputs 2 CH audio, so your source file and converted file must also be 2 channel audio. This means you have to make sure you are converting a dvd to 2 channel stereo BEFORE converting it through miro. You will get video but no audio if your audio source is not compatible. you cannot convert multi channel surround into two channel through Miro.

2) If you choose to use another converter other than miro, make sure you convert video using mp4/h264 and AAC for audio. you cannot just drag an avi or wmv file into your droid x, it doesnt have the supported codecs to play it.

3) make sure the HDMI out is ON (under settings/hdmi)

4) you have to make sure your Gallery can see the file - there are other directories that may work - I just chose the one when my Droid X was dropping movies I recorded.

I hope this helps everyone that actually wants to USE their HDMI output!

~Tom

0 Likes
Re: Solution for transferring and playing video/movies through HDMI
Wildman
Legend

Nice information,,,,   BUT wouldn't it be easier to just use DVD Catalyst?  I use it now and the vidoes I have made with it using Motorola Droid default stiings works flawlessly with my HDMI cable, I use my Droid as my own portible DVD Player to play on others tvs when I visit.

Check it out at www.tools4movies.com/

0 Likes
Hulk0069
Contributor - Level 1
Hey wildman question, i clicked on that link then tried to download the droidx one when I download and try to open the file its saying content not supported for this phone? But I downloaded the droidx file to my droidx any info?
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

You might want to read over this post from http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Droid-X-Video-Player/td-p/333297 that seem to work well for the user.  

0 Likes