Not pleased with FROYO 2.2
bh8690

For all the FROYO hype...just not understanding or feeling the amazement.  Yes, there are some nice UI upgrades (ie camera button), but ther seem to be more quirky things going on...just not sure whether these are bugs or my  lack of understanding the update; please advise (I have gone from LOVING my Droid X to merely liking it)

1.  When using the general search (google), on 2.1 you would get a listing olf local items (ie contacts, applications) as well as web findings,  Now using google search(all) only renders web findings.  You can switch to find contacts, apps, etc...however each time you do a new search you default back to google (all) which only finds web sites...no real way of doing a thorough search of all relevant information at the same time

2. In addtion, to #1...if doing a contact search...once selecting the wanted contact, instead of opening to the contacts information , it opens to the list of all contacts...makes no sense.

3. some of the color schemes are really not pleasing, including lock screen toggle, swype...even the motorola clock/date widget colors are limited and not pleasing.

4..there appeas to be a lot of screen "flickering" when switching between application or back to the home screen.

5. the calendar month view does not show color bar activity within the the individual dates anymore

6. annoyance, and much written about...no silent setting with vibrate can be set using volume toggle.

7. accessing voice command/dialer lags excessively

These are not complaints, but rather observations...looking for to see whether these are consistent findings, what fixes exist...or whether I misunderstand the new functions.

0 Likes
Re: Not pleased with FROYO 2.2
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

Some observations and replies....My responses are only based on my experience with 2.2 thus far.  Maybe some of the responses can help you.

bh8690 wrote:

For all the FROYO hype...just not understanding or feeling the amazement.  Yes, there are some nice UI upgrades (ie camera button), but ther seem to be more quirky things going on...just not sure whether these are bugs or my  lack of understanding the update; please advise (I have gone from LOVING my Droid X to merely liking it)

1.  When using the general search (google), on 2.1 you would get a listing olf local items (ie contacts, applications) as well as web findings,  Now using google search(all) only renders web findings.  You can switch to find contacts, apps, etc...however each time you do a new search you default back to google (all) which only finds web sites...no real way of doing a thorough search of all relevant information at the same time

Check your location settings and make sure location is allowed in google.  I still get local results on google search as well as inside google maps.

2. In addtion, to #1...if doing a contact search...once selecting the wanted contact, instead of opening to the contacts information , it opens to the list of all contacts...makes no sense.

that sounds redundant to me and annoying.  I've never done a contact search.  I always just scroll and find the person.

3. some of the color schemes are really not pleasing, including lock screen toggle, swype...even the motorola clock/date widget colors are limited and not pleasing.

eye of the beholder :smileyhappy:

4..there appeas to be a lot of screen "flickering" when switching between application or back to the home screen.

Might be an issue with your phone specificly.  Mine, at least switches smoother and faster than before.

5. the calendar month view does not show color bar activity within the the individual dates anymore

What's a color bar activity??

6. annoyance, and much written about...no silent setting with vibrate can be set using volume toggle.

Yes it can, it just isnt default.  go to settings, sounds, vibrate> Choose "only when not in silent mode"  then it will act as it always did before using the volume keys.

7. accessing voice command/dialer lags excessively

Luckily, not for me...sorry you get lag.

These are not complaints, but rather observations...looking for to see whether these are consistent findings, what fixes exist...or whether I misunderstand the new functions.

0 Likes