Massive problems with wife's phone
JHaigh
Enthusiast - Level 1

We both have the Incredible 2 phone.

Her phone was without a charge for about 20 hours and was working fine until it lost power.  When we finally hooked it up to the charger, and no light came on, and did not appear to charge.   I took the battery out, cleaned it up and put it back together, then got a charging light.  We let it charge for 3 hours, then tried to turn on the phone and it would not get passed the white and green HTC boot screen before powering down.

I changed batteries between phones, and my wife's phone still woudn't boot past the HTC screen before powering down.  My phone worked fine with the other battery.  After a call to customer support last night, the tech had me try to re-boot the phone.  I was able to start it, but the phone powered down before finishing and hasn't been able to show signs of life since.

We are out of warranty by 5 months and can't upgrade for 3 months without a penalty. It seems there are a lot of problems with this phone and powering up and down.  Will Verizon stand behnid their products and provide us with a replacement phone in advance of our contract ending?  With customer suppor so far, it doesn't seem so - I'm only getting someone trying to sell me upgrades and different phone plans. There has been no discussion to address the problem of replacing a single phone - even if on a temporary basis.

I've been a loyal customers for over 10 years.  If this relationship is going to continue, they need to start by addressing our problem and stop upselling services and products!

0 Likes
Re: Massive problems with wife's phone
Not applicable

I'm sure Verizon offers an extended warranty policy or insurance on all the phones they sell. 

Let's say you and I both bought Incredible 2 phones on the same day from Verizon.  Let's also say you purchased the insurance policy on your Incredible 2 and I did not. Now fast forward 17 months and both you and I have the same problem with our phones you describe in your post.  We both take our phones into Verizon and describe the problem and they give you another phone under your insurance plan because you've been paying $9.00 per month since you purchased your phone. Now you overhear me standing next to you describing the same problem you have and you find out they gave me a new phone eventhough I didn't buy the insurance like you did.  You ask why they gave me a new phone when I didn't buy the insurance and they answer because he's been a loyal customer for 10 years and you say so have you.   Would you feel we had both been treated fairly or would you feel like you got the "short end of the stick" in some way? (remember that $9.00 per month you've been paying for the last 17 months and I haven't)  Why should anyone buy insurance if Verizon is going to cover them even though they don't purchase coverage?

Now describe again why you feel Verizon owes you a phone.  Also remember they didn't manufacture the phone.

0 Likes
JHaigh
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not asking for a free new phone; read my post -  I never mention that I'm asking for anything for free.

I'm asking Verizon to address the problem by offering a replacement phone rather than a hard upsell to a new plan or services and phones we don't need or want.  I don't mind paying for a replacement, but not a phone that is exceptionally exorbitant in comparison to what we already have and that mandates us to start a new plan. 

Just wondering why Verizon won't or can't provide an old-generation phone or a refurbished one at a reasonable price, so we can finish out our plan and decide if we are going to stick with Verizon.  To date, no one has offered us this option.

rcschnoor
Legend

JHaigh wrote:

I'm not asking for a free new phone; read my post -  I never mention that I'm asking for anything for free.

I'm asking Verizon to address the problem by offering a replacement phone rather than a hard upsell to a new plan or services and phones we don't need or want.  I don't mind paying for a replacement, but not a phone that is exceptionally exorbitant in comparison to what we already have and that mandates us to start a new plan. 

Just wondering why Verizon won't or can't provide an old-generation phone or a refurbished one at a reasonable price, so we can finish out our plan and decide if we are going to stick with Verizon.  To date, no one has offered us this option.

If you don't mind paying for a replacement phone, you could try eBay or Swappa.com.

Otherwise, if you are out of warranty on your phone, you will most likely have to pay full retail for a phone thru Verizon.

0 Likes
TrekScout

My son and I both have Incredible 2's. We have both gotten one free replacement and both "refurbished"  replacement phones have serious problems. My son's phone recharges intermittently. Mine does not charge or connect to my computer at all. The USB ports seems to be broken. We have had 4 phones between us know that have all had USB problems.. I have had to buy an external charger and a second battery to charge the phone. Verizon will not fix or replace my phone because it is now out of warranty. Funny that the refurbished phone lasted about 3 months, just long enough to push me past the warranty of the original phone. They say I should have bought a service plan. I can see buying a service plan to protect against loss or damage, but not because I cannot trust Verizon to provide a product that will last 2 years.

the Inc2 has had major Software problems too.  For over 6 months my clock function didn't work. No alarms, which is something I rely on. Then, mysteriously, the clock function started to work. For about a week, my camera app would not load. I missed some great pictures at an event that I attended. Then the app/hardware stared to work again.  I will NEVER have another HTC phone. And I am seriously shopping for other carriers. I do not want to do business with a company  that doesn't take responsibly for shoddy equipment and provides terrible customer service.

0 Likes
yojayy

Wows, what a condescending post.  I think everyone hear understands how insurance works. Under your example, you paid Verizon $153 over 17 months and your gamble paid off.  Yahoo.  You were probably also charged $50 on top of that and it's one time usage deal.  That's what my old Sprint insurance was.  By the time I needed a new phone, I was overpaying for an obsolete device.  Insurance generally sucks all around.

The problem is that when a phone breaks, the only real option is for users to scatter to forums looking for answers from each other.  Verizon should invest in a better customer care service.  They aren't a used car shop, they're Verizon.  The support could be 1000x better.

It's why I'm going to end up buying a used DInc 2 on ebay for $50 to replace my phone that suddenly started giving me a black screen.  Took it to a Verizon store and they said they don't fix phones and asked me if I had tried to pull the battery and reboot.  Wow, great idea, glad I drove over.  The options offered by Verizon are ridiculous (>$400 for a refurb) and I'm not eligible for an upgrade for another year.

It's frustrating for the users caught in no-man's land.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JHaigh, having problems with your wife's phone after being so awesome I'm sure is very frustrating! I understand how upset you and your wife are with this situation. I would like to provide you with some information because I want you to know we appreciate you being with us for so long. After purchasing a phone from us, each phone has a one-year manufactures warranty. This warranty covers any defective issues with the phone within the first year that are not caused by damage. We stand behind are phones and don't mind replacing the phone with a certified like new model of the same phone within that first year. After the year is up, customers either replace their device through their extended warranty they pay monthly for or insurance. We offer these benefits when you purchase your new phone because we are consumers also and understand situations like this occur. With out an extended warranty or insurance, we are unable to replace the phone. Being with us for 10years is absolutely wonderful and I would like to know did our representatives recognize this and offer an early upgrade for your wife's line? This would be apart of us going above and beyond. We don't have temporary devices to rent/use but try to provide our customers with options. ^KH

0 Likes