Low on space message
jstrayer

I have a HTC Droid Incredible.   Menu/Settings/SD & phone storage reports:

SD Card Available Space 7.76GB

Internal storage available sapce:  6.2GB

Phone memory Available space: 551MB.

As you can see, none of these numbers is low.  However I currently have a notification stating:

Low on space

Phone storage space is getting low.

If I ignore this message long enough I'll get a message telling me that I'm out of space every time I try to do something that might take some space.

Telling me to delete some applications will not fix this problem as I have plenty of storage available.  Look at the top of the message again.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Low on space message
shmart06
Enthusiast - Level 3

dgold82 wrote:

I'm surprised no one here mentioned this given the amount of posts by some users. This is probably the #1 issue for many Incredible users out there. On my plan we have 3 incredibles and all of us have been extremely frustrated by the same thing you posted above.

One quick search on the Phandroid forums will give you the real answer--here: http://androidforums.com/incredible-support-troubleshooting/183963-low-space-phone-application-stora...

This is all about how much room HTC partitioned out for app data (note, not the actual amount of app program storage which you have plenty of). Unfortunately, there is no good solution but there are things mentioned in the first post linked above that you can do to help. The big culprit for me is the amount of MMS messages I send around to family members--too many of those and the low on space comes up until I start deleting them.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't ask Verizon support any Android related question. For anything out of the ordinary they pretty much tell you to factory reset. Search around on any Android related forums like the one I posted above and you will get a real solution or at the very least the real problem which might not have a good solution.

Good luck! 

I always get the low space notification and deleting my messages usually helps rid that problem. If it doesnt, then try clearing some of the cashe on your programs.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Im starting to think this bug may be refrencing to ram memory instead of storage.  Only for testing, try downloading Advance Task Killer from market and check the avalible memory the system show.

screenshot-1317671337019.png

0 Likes
jstrayer

I've got Advanced Task Killer and it's saying I have 177M free.

0 Likes
dgold82

I'm surprised no one here mentioned this given the amount of posts by some users. This is probably the #1 issue for many Incredible users out there. On my plan we have 3 incredibles and all of us have been extremely frustrated by the same thing you posted above.

One quick search on the Phandroid forums will give you the real answer--here: http://androidforums.com/incredible-support-troubleshooting/183963-low-space-phone-application-stora...

This is all about how much room HTC partitioned out for app data (note, not the actual amount of app program storage which you have plenty of). Unfortunately, there is no good solution but there are things mentioned in the first post linked above that you can do to help. The big culprit for me is the amount of MMS messages I send around to family members--too many of those and the low on space comes up until I start deleting them.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't ask Verizon support any Android related question. For anything out of the ordinary they pretty much tell you to factory reset. Search around on any Android related forums like the one I posted above and you will get a real solution or at the very least the real problem which might not have a good solution.

Good luck! 

0 Likes
J_L11
I saw this and had the same problem. I factory reset my phone, which I'm not sure if you have yet, and it fixed my problem. All my emails are coming in again, the icon is gone and I can use the internet again. If you are missing txts I think that is a problem with the gingerbread update, which I don't have. Otherwise with the space issue, the reset worked for me.
0 Likes
dgold82

It fixed your problem because it cleared all the program data (note: not the actual program itself--you could have 10,000 apps and still never get the low on space if none have data) from all your apps. You don't need to factory reset. Just follow some of the advice in the thread linked above.

Some of the big problem apps are messaging (for sms/mms), internet cache, emails, game data. I also heard Netflix stores a ton in the /data/data folder.

For some reason HTC thought at the time that app data would never surpass 150mb. Since then the Android Market exploded and that is obviously not enough anymore. All HTC phones after the Incredible haven't had this problem so they quickly realized their mistake. Unfortunately, no software update can ever fix this for Incredibles since the space is permanently set in a partition which can't be touched. Gingerbread got around this a little bit by allowing certain files to move outside the data/data folder but I have heard it's not enough.

0 Likes
Masseur

I had around 105 apps loaded, not many pictures, don't keep texts for more than a day.  I reduced the number of apps down to around 77 and now never get that message.  So it's the app space like has been said is the problem.

0 Likes
shmart06
Enthusiast - Level 3

dgold82 wrote:

Good luck! 

I always get the low space notification and deleting my messages usually helps rid that problem. If it doesnt, then try clearing some of the cashe on your programs.

0 Likes