Loud beeps, squeals, morse code, hacking?
racemup

In the middle of a conversation - loud beaps and squeals break out and stop the connection. Loud horn honks like a semi truck along with what absolutely sounds like morse code. Prob persisted into the next day. On the other end my GF could only here static. Could not call or receive. . ... As usual for me, I'm seeing nobody else mentioning this experience here. What happened? Did my line get hacked? Had to remove battery to reset phone and that cleared it up.

These were the kinds of sounds you would hear on a shortwave radio when you tune around.

0 Likes
Re: Loud beeps, squeals, morse code, hacking?
ridingfate

I had the same problem all weekend and had to reboot and remove battery to get it to stop.  No idea what happened.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Unfortunately there is not a way to tell exactly what happened unless this is something that continues to occur. It could be a network issue or device issue, but since just pulling the battery resolved the issue, it sounds like it may have been just a glitch in the phone. I have not seen this reported as a known issue. If this continues we can further investigate. 

0 Likes
JohnMTeach

I have had my Charge for about 4 days and I had the same noise interrupt a call today.  I tried to call the person back and got the same thing again.  The other person called me back and again all I had was this loud beeping, staticky, morse code like noise.  I had to restart the phone in order to use it.

I am also having the problem with the phone constantly dropping the network service.  I have to reboot 2-3 times a day to get back on the network.  This is in a 3g coverage area. Today when I had no network service, my wife had 3 bars on her Droid 2.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Please make sure you have the current software version by going to Settings>About Phone>System Updates>Check New. 

0 Likes
Jason888

Try going to settings and then choose:

->Call Settings

Uncheck the box next to Voice Privacy.  This worked for me.

Good luck.

0 Likes
kmd323

I have the exact same problem. This noise interrupts my phone calls sometimes ten minutes into the conversation. Other times, it can take 45 minutes. The only way to get rid of the noise is to restart my phone. My phone software is updated and I tried unchecking the Voice Privacy feature. I continue to have this problem.

0 Likes
phillthedrill
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same exact problem you are having as well, privacy being off doesn't do anything whatsoever.  Do you have a custom rom installed or anything?

0 Likes
dvl1962

I have now had two phones replaced by Verizon (one new and one refurbished because I passed the less than adequate 14 day satisfaction period) and both have had the same issue.  Checked the latest firmware and reports up-to date.  This phone should not be considered if you are using it for business (which is what Verizon claims to be the carrier for).  Waiting for my next replacement and only 3 weeks old.  This is **bleep**!

0 Likes
phillthedrill
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh **bleep** it to hell, that is sooo not good news at all for us.  I know that is has to be a radio issue.  I have tried downloading a new version of the radio, and it's still doing the same **bleep** thing.  If somewhere somehow verizon is reading this, FIX THIS ISSUE in your next release or you will have many many unhappy customers.  This is unacceptable!  I guess getting a smart phone wasn't so smart of me after all.

0 Likes