Improve your Battery for Motorola Droid
cooled209
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did this, and it works great for me!:

Train the battery by fully charging it, and draining the battery until it shuts off.

1.  With the device turned off, fully charge the battery until the LED no longer flashes, and remains on.

2.  Let the battery charge for an additional TWO hours.

3.  Repeat the process again (perform twice in a row) and you should experience improved battery life.

For more tips and tricks like this, go here under Manuals & User Guides:

http://www.motorola.com/support/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=20333d8b83184210VgnVCM1000008806b00aRCRD&vgnex...

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Improve your Battery for Motorola Droid
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I just wanted to add to this thread. I read an article from NY Times it said:

If your cellphone loses its battery charge too quickly while idle in your pocket, part of the problem may be that your pocket is too warm. “Cellphone batteries do indeed last a bit longer if kept cool,” says Isidor Buchanan, editor of the Battery University Web site. The 98.6-degree body heat of a human, transmitted through a cloth pocket to a cellphone inside, is enough to speed up chemical processes inside the phone’s battery. That makes it run down faster. To keep the phone cooler, carry it in your purse or on your belt. This same method can be used to preserve your battery should you find yourself away from home without your charger. Turn off the phone and put it in the hotel refrigerator overnight to slow the battery’s natural tendency to lose its charge."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I just wanted to add to this thread. I read an article from NY Times it said:

If your cellphone loses its battery charge too quickly while idle in your pocket, part of the problem may be that your pocket is too warm. “Cellphone batteries do indeed last a bit longer if kept cool,” says Isidor Buchanan, editor of the Battery University Web site. The 98.6-degree body heat of a human, transmitted through a cloth pocket to a cellphone inside, is enough to speed up chemical processes inside the phone’s battery. That makes it run down faster. To keep the phone cooler, carry it in your purse or on your belt. This same method can be used to preserve your battery should you find yourself away from home without your charger. Turn off the phone and put it in the hotel refrigerator overnight to slow the battery’s natural tendency to lose its charge."

0 Likes
cooled209
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very Helpful, Thanks.:smileywink:

0 Likes
OLDDAWG

You really need to go to the Motorola Droid forums on the Motorola site and check out the posts on battery charging.  According to several engineers on this site totally discharging your battery is very bad for the battery.  It was pointed out that the address that you referenced in your post was posted by Verizon but it was cut and pasted about another type of battery.

Anyone reading this should really go and check this out for yourselves.  very important.

0 Likes
spectrumfox
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've heard that discharding your battery completely at least once is good so the phone and battery can calibrate.

0 Likes
xOriginalNinjax
Contributor - Level 1
This was true of older battery types, Lithium Ion batteries actually maintain their charge BEST if recharged regularly (and before they run out totally!) With Li-Ion batteries, if they drain completely, it's actually possible they will never fully recharge, and unlike older batteries, Li-Ion has no 'memory' so it won't retain a length of time until it needs recharged, it will run normally being recharged every 3 hours or every 3 days (as long as it doesn't drain completely.)
0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

Xoriginalninjax is correct.  With the new lithium-ion batteries, you should not let them drain completely as this will cause them to deplete completely and not charge again.  I had a two week old Blackberry Curve last year and I left it off of the charger and the battery died.  Then when I plugged it in, it would not charge.  I had to buy a new battery.  Also, if you leave the device plugged in for too long, this will also kill the battery.  I was advised to plug the device in when the battery has no less than 15% battery life left and let it charge for no more than a day.  This will prolong the life of the battery.  If you are concerned about the battery dying, then purchase a second battery or an extended battery and keep one charged at all times, that is what I do now.  This isnt just for smartphones but any device with a lithium-ion battery.  I had an Archos 605-wifi media player with a lithium-ion battery and I left it on charge until I used it again, about 3.5 weeks, and it killed the battery by doing that.

0 Likes
cooled209
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your input everyone, there were many good suggestions, and true concern about the best battery care for the Droid (and other smartphones). The tip I gave, is straight from the Motorola Droid Product Support page, You can check it out at www.motorola.com then click the support tab, then type in Droid under (enter your phone model number).  It has 3 categories: Quick Start Guides, Tips & Tricks, & User Guides.  I've used more than one of the suggestions, and all worked flawlessly. 

Being that Motorola just put out the Hottest cell phone on the planet, I doubt if they would give us bad advice that would damage the phone.  Here's my Tried and Tested Theory. I used my Droid all day long while shopping on Black Friday.  When I finally got home and went to charge it, was at 60 percent, not bad!  In the 2 weeks I've had the Droid, the battery power last longer, after applying the suggested tip. Seems like the engineers behind the Motorola Product Support page, gave us the right advice for this phones battery. 

0 Likes
pecula00

I am not sure though how accurate this is because you cannot charge the droid with it off.  

0 Likes
TheNemesisII

http://search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=26536&supportview=1&p=-1

says in the above link from Verizon, to do it 3 times!

0 Likes