Re: I keep losing my e-mails
MRBE57

I started a thread on this last week ( the day of my upgrade.) Occasionally it seems to have fixed itself ( this weekend I had emails stay on for 2  days ), but eventually  they just all disappear at once .  It only happens with my POP3 roadrunner account.

0 Likes
rpgarrett75703
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is my response to this subject that I posted in a similar thread

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Incredible-by-HTC/Deleted-emails-reappearing/m-p/277616/highlight/...

0 Likes
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

I called VZW tech support last night to tell them my phone was still deleting emails and they told me it was a hardware problem and that I could go to the VZW store and exchange for a new one (since I am under the 30 day period).  I went to the store today with in mind that this was more or less likely a software problem (2.1 vs 2.2) and that is what the store told me.  They confirmed this when we used one of their store models with 2.2 on it and it did the exact same thing.  They told me that exchanging the phone really would do nothing because the same problem would happen again.  It is because the Droid was not exactly designed around email like a Blackberry.  They basically told me that I could exchange for a BB or wait for a fix or an app that works with POP3.  I chose to wait because I do not have my phone because of email (though it is nice to know it would work; I am happy with just Gmail).

As for the server delete vs not delete, I had mine checked to not delete but it still deleted.  Oh well.  I guess I will wait for an update.  Gmail will still open the same attachments (though you cannot download  them directly to your phone; there is an app for that though).  It just will not email though attachments if  they are on your SD card (you can forward them though).

I am still happy with the overall performance of the phone (minus POP3 problems).

0 Likes
af2go

This definitely seems to be a software issue. I thought it was my phone.    Probably a move by Google to get even more people to switch to Gmail.  The other option is to make sure that your Outlook or email program is closed when you are not using your PC.  SO while you are mobile the mail will be on serve.  You can also configure Outlook to leave messages on server.  If PC is downloading messages that is when mail disappears form server

0 Likes
Brass
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try deleting the accounts you have configured on the phone.  Then go to "Manage Applications" and clear the data from all of your mail related applications; lastly, recreate the POP accounts to sync your mail.

0 Likes
ksfrogman123

MRBE57 wrote:

I started a thread on this last week ( the day of my upgrade.) Occasionally it seems to have fixed itself ( this weekend I had emails stay on for 2  days ), but eventually  they just all disappear at once .  It only happens with my POP3 roadrunner account.

I too noticed that the email now stays on my cell phone as long as it still resides on the server.  This wasn't the case before.  The cell phone would delete the Roadrunner POP mail even if it was on the server.

drum_thumper wrote:

I called VZW tech support last night to tell them my phone was still deleting emails and they told me it was a hardware problem and that I could go to the VZW store and exchange for a new one (since I am under the 30 day period).  I went to the store today with in mind that this was more or less likely a software problem (2.1 vs 2.2) and that is what the store told me.  They confirmed this when we used one of their store models with 2.2 on it and it did the exact same thing.  They told me that exchanging the phone really would do nothing because the same problem would happen again.  It is because the Droid was not exactly designed around email like a Blackberry.  They basically told me that I could exchange for a BB or wait for a fix or an app that works with POP3.  I chose to wait because I do not have my phone because of email (though it is nice to know it would work; I am happy with just Gmail).

As for the server delete vs not delete, I had mine checked to not delete but it still deleted.  Oh well.  I guess I will wait for an update.  Gmail will still open the same attachments (though you cannot download  them directly to your phone; there is an app for that though).  It just will not email though attachments if  they are on your SD card (you can forward them though).

I am still happy with the overall performance of the phone (minus POP3 problems).

I'll admit I am not a tech person, but I am 99.99999% certain this tech support guy is wrong.  His theory does not explain why Android POP mail handling worked perfectly before, but changed right after the Froyo update.  Come on Verizon, this is not rocket science!

Brass wrote:

Try deleting the accounts you have configured on the phone.  Then go to "Manage Applications" and clear the data from all of your mail related applications; lastly, recreate the POP accounts to sync your mail.

This does not work either!  In fact, I went ahead and tried that again. Deleted both California Roadrunner POP3 accounts, and added them back in.  Cell phone still deletes POP mail if it has been removed from the server.

When it comes to POP mail handling, our smart phones are not so smart anymore.

0 Likes
Brass
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you "Clear data" from the Mail application?  Did you have any data in the phone storage?

0 Likes
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

I have tried resetting the whole phone which lears everything.  The word I am hearing in many of the threads is that this is a feature and not a problem.  I am not fully sure that is accurate but this is something that most do not like (especially when you get an e-mail in and it deletes within minutes read or not).  In my case, mine would delete whether or not I left it on the server.  I did go back to the VZW store and we tried my account on one of their phones with 2.2 and it also deleted the e-mails.  They basically told me that I could exchange for a Blackberry or just wait for an update or an app that handled POP3s.  I chose to wait because I am not tied to my phone for e-mail (my Gmail works just fine).  So hopefully, soon, they will have an update for this issue.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I was told this was a feature change for the customers benefit. :smileymad:  I told the VZW rep that VZW has no right to set up the email on my phone to delete off of a server that is not theirs. Especially when I have unchecked the box so the mail would stay on the server.

Heck  I open a message and go back to the list, that message and any that were listed INCLUDING NEW ONES are gone...POOF, HISTORY, nowhere to be found. Even my gmail does this. VERY aggravating. 

0 Likes
rpgarrett75703
Enthusiast - Level 3

The way POP3 should work on 2.2 is simple: if you delete an email from your phone it should only delete the messsage from your phone UNLESS you also have the "Delete mail from server" option checked. If you want an e-mail client like Outlook to also to be able to download the same e-mail that's already been downloaded to your phone then you need to uncheck the "Delete mail from server" option on your phone. The same is true when you use Outlook first to read your e-mail; if you tell Outlook to delete the mail off the server after it is downloaded to your computer then the e-mail will never get to your phone after you sync your e-mail on your phone. That's why I tell Outlook to leave a copy of the e-mail on the server and delete it after 3 days. This gives me time to sync the e-mail on the server with my phone. This scenario worked perfectly in 2.1. The problem with 2.2 is it no longer works like Outlook  (as it did in 2.1) where it downloads a local copy to your phone and no matter what happens to the e-mail on the server the local copy should still be on your phone. The problem with 2.2 is the 2.1 behavior has been modified such that the e-mail on your phone will "mirror" the current state of your server. So for example, if you download e-mails from the server to your phone and then later you open Outlook and download the same e-mails that were previously downloaded to your phone and then after the download Outlook deletes them from the server then on the next e-mail sync on your phone those messages that were on your phone prior to the sync will disappear because they are no longer on the server because Outlook deleted them! Why this is so hard for VZW to understand is beyond me. This is not a hardware issue but rather a software issue; how the DINC handles POP3 e-mail has been changed from 2.1 to 2.2 and VZW calls this a "new feature". I've mentioned this in a similar thread; why can't the folks that implemented the POP3 email feature just make this "new" behavior in 2.2 an option under the mail settings and by default give us the 2.1 behavior. This way those that want the new bevavior can get it and those that don't won't.

0 Likes