I keep losing my e-mails
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

especially since installing 2.2, I have noticed that my e-mails will disappear withing a matter of minutes of receiving them.  This is only happening on the POP3 e-mail system (my g-mail is fine).  What is causing this and is there a solution?

0 Likes
Re: I keep losing my e-mails
dslextreme

Having similar problems since the Incredible update.  Of course tech support from Verizon and HTC claim no knowledge, as per usual, no help there.  Would greatly appreciate any help or input from folks with similar pop3 issues!!  THANKS!

0 Likes
pb2past
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is no solution! This is a new FEATURE on 2.2 upgrade.

Once e-mails are gone from your pop-server, Android 2.2 will refresh and delete every previous e-mail from your phone.

We should be grateful, for this new feature. Don't know why, but that's what I was told by Verizon and HTC tech people!

Apparently it keeps my phone from being clogged up by e-mails! Instead there is room for them to add useless apps like Amazon MP3, VZ Navigator and 3G Mobile Hot spot.

I am so grateful!!

This is an absolute nonsense.

0 Likes
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

I talked to Verizon last night and they said they had not heard of this problem.  They went through and did a factory resest of my phone to see if that corrected the problem,  Of course it did not and I had to go and reinstall all my apps and redo everything I had set up.  They told me that if it did it again withing the next few days to give them a call and they would escalate it to HTC and may have to get me a new phone.  I have a feeling since I have seen this with a lot of different threads that this is probably a pretty widespread problem espcially for those that do not delete e-mails.  I had to set mine so that it did not delete from the server though it still deletes from my phone.  I am now using my g-mail though you cannot add any attchments other than pictures whereas the POP3 can add other attachments.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

pb2past wrote:

There is no solution! This is a new FEATURE on 2.2 upgrade.

Once e-mails are gone from your pop-server, Android 2.2 will refresh and delete every previous e-mail from your phone.

We should be grateful, for this new feature. Don't know why, but that's what I was told by Verizon and HTC tech people!

Apparently it keeps my phone from being clogged up by e-mails! Instead there is room for them to add useless apps like Amazon MP3, VZ Navigator and 3G Mobile Hot spot.

I am so grateful!!

This is an absolute nonsense.

When you set up your email, or after you updated to 2.2 did you go into your mail settings to ensure the , 'Delete Mail off Server' box was NOT checked for each email account?

0 Likes
pb2past
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Delete mail on server" is unchecked on my phone. Nothing is different to before 2.2 was uploaded. Of course my outlook that pulls e-mails from the server is set to default not to leave e-mails on the server after they are pushed to my home computer. But outlook saves a copy of all e-mails in a default folder why couldn't the phone do the same? It did before 2.2 was upoaded.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I did set up a POP3 account on here to see what happens and sure enough it deleted. So I remembered to uncheck the box and sent a message.

The email notification did arrive. I never went to check the email and an hour later the icon was gone and there was no email. So yeah there is an issue there. Guess I quit using POP3 mail just in time.

0 Likes
ksfrogman

There are multiple threads on this subject.  Yes, I have read them, because I too am a victim of this Froyo update.  I lost all my previous pop emails, and this is WITHOUT removing them from the mail server. My mail server is California Roadrunner through Time Warner, formerly a comcast.net account.

My gmail works fine.

0 Likes
nito05

im having the same issues and I hate it....

solution, downloaded K-9. I can select either to delete (or not) messages on the server if I delete them on my phone, and I can also select to delete (or not) messages on the phone if I delete them on my server.

the last option seems to be missing from the default app.

0 Likes
ksfrogman

I too have downloaded k-9, and it offers more settings options, but I still lose my pop emails in the inbox just as I do in the regular mail app.

ADDENDUM (edit):

Once I select my individual POP email account from within K9 mail, I select More>Settings>Account Settings.  From there...

When I delete a message                                IS CHECKED

Do not delete on server

Expunge messages (IS NOT HIGHLIGHTED FOR ME TO CHANGE!)

Sync remote deleteions                                  IS NOT CHECKED.

Remove messages when deleted on server

0 Likes