How to sync Droid X with Outlook 2010
jb614
How can I sync my Droid X with Outlook 2010 running on my personal computer (ie not Enterprise). Need to sync Contacts, Tasks and Calendar. The pc is running vista if that makes a difference. Would want true sync capability ... ie changes on either side are reflected on the other side. If necessasary, would even be willing (but not happy) to make a one time payment for a 3rd party app
0 Likes
Re: How to sync Droid X with Outlook 2010
Cody21
Master - Level 2

It's a multi-step process ....  the easiest way that I found out to do it is this...  After you have your Google email all set up:

1.  Export you current Contacts via Outlook (as an .CSV file)

2. then Import them into Google. (there is an option in Google to do this). Edit them the way you wish -- do NOT bother Grouping them as the DROID X default Contacts does not have a GROUP option. Google will manage your contacts after that. If you wish "GROUPS", you'll need to find a 3rd party App.

3. Go into Google Calendar Settings and set up for MOBILE ... the process will ask for your cell number, etc,  As part of this setup, download and install the "SYNC" software from Google Once installed, you can configure it to auto-sync or do it manually (which I do).

You don't need a 3rd party app to do this...  I use Outlook 2007,  fwiw  ...

good luck.

0 Likes
topher721

Just curious - this is my first smartphone so I am still learning.  Will this process also work to sync email - incoming and outgoing?  The whole purpose of getting this phone is so I can be alerted the second an email comes to my account.  My email is coming to Microsoft Outlook Web App...because it's not a choice.  Thanks for any help you can offer. 

0 Likes
jb614
eMail can go BOTH to the Droid and Outlook. But be aware that one side doesn't know about the otherside. ie IF you read it on the Droid, it will still look like it is unread in Outlook (and visa versa). Also, deleting the eMail on one side will not delete it on the otherside. In other words, you have to do double maintenance on all your emails.
0 Likes
jb614
Cody21 -
I did the csv export from Outlook to Google and into the Droid X. It didn't work cleanly since it merged several independent contacts from Outlook (and in the csv export file) into one contact on the Droid. example: for many companies, they have locations in many cities, so I set them up as follows...Company=Verizon...LastName=OH-Columbus or OH-Cleveland, or TX-Austin, NJ-Trenton ... Each being separate and distinct contacts in Outlook. Similarily: Company=DominoPizza...Last name=OH-Columbus or OH-Cleveland or MI-Detroit, etc. Again, each being a separate and distinct contact in Outlook. I think you get the picture.

Well when they showed up in the Droid, I only had ONE CONTACT "OH-Columbus" and within that contact, I had a dozen phone numbers, followed by a dozen addresses followed by a dozen company names. No easy way to tell which number went to which address or to which company. Same problem with OH-Cleveland, MI-Detroit, TX-Austin as all contacts with the same last name were merged into one contact on the Droid.

ALSO...if you delete a contact from Google Contacts, it DOES NOT delete the contact from the Droid! So full sync'ing really doesn't work.
0 Likes
jb614
Cody21-
Also, you missed the whole point ... I want to sync on a daily basis between Outlook and the Droid X. What you described was just a one-time export from Outlook to Google and then sync'ing between Google and the Droid. Not at all what I need to accomplish.
0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cody21-
Also, you missed the whole point ... I want to sync on a daily basis between Outlook and the Droid X. What you described was just a one-time export from Outlook to Google and then sync'ing between Google and the Droid. Not at all what I need to accomplish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the "SYNC" feature once installed does in fact Sync the outlook Calendar - not the Contacts out of OUTLOOK ... But if you maintain your CONTACTS in Google, your CONTACTS (in the APP Drawer) will stay in-sync.  It is a 1-time set-up, and yea, a bit tedious to get in the right order & remove any duplicate issues ... but well worth it IMHO since you can then access those Google contacts from anywhere you have a web browser.

There just doesn't seem to be yet that "perfect" solution yet, unfortunately.  Good luck.

YMMV

0 Likes
mshakir

Try Google app sync.(free)

Search Google for this app. Download it to your Windows PC and run it.

This will upload all your contact information, email and calendar to your gmail account. Run it only once, or after running the first time pick the option only new info, or you will have duplicate info. The tool ran smoothly and I could see all my calendar and contact info. There were some errors in the data, that I had to fix on Google account.

I am expecting to get my Droid X in couple of days and when I set up I expect it to download all this information from my gmail account to my phone.

If this works, then, it will save you export data from PC and import to your Google account.

This does not solve the problem of auto sync that works between iPod(Possibly iPhone) and Windows PC.

0 Likes
ScooterCat
Enthusiast - Level 3
MyPhoneExplorer (free) will sync Outlook calendar and contacts with the Droid X. You'll have to use the latest beta of the client (1.0.7beta28) to avoid a bug in recurring all-day event synchronization. http://www.fjsoft.at/en
0 Likes
Combopulos

I just downloaded MyPhoneExplorer and it's easy to use works very similar to ActiveSync.

0 Likes