How to auto dial an extension?
Toyota4x4van
Contributor - Level 3

Okay, on every other phone I've ever had, I could call my wife's work number (including her extension) by the following proceedure:

The number saved in contacts was XXX-XXX-XXXXW109.  The "W" meant "Wait", and the number after the W (in this case 109, was her extension.  When I brought up her contact and pressed "Send", it would dial the main phone number (XXX-XXX-XXXX), then wait.  Once the automated answering machine picks up asking me to "dial" her extension if known, all I had to do was press "Send" again, and it would dial the "109" extension.

On the DX, as soon as the first number (XXX-XXX-XXXX) is dialed/connected, the "Send" button disappears and is now the "End Call" button.  I have to manually enter her extension.

Huh?  The "W" feature has been a standard part of every "dumb" cell phone I've ever had (been a Verizon customer for over 20 years).  I can't believe that one of the "smartest" phones on the market can't even this?  Anybody know how?

0 Likes
Re: How to auto dial an extension?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Replace the W with P (for pause). If that's not available, use the comma, both will work. I used this trick for my voicemail password.
0 Likes
Toyota4x4van
Contributor - Level 3

It won't allow me to use "P", only accepts numbers & symbols in that field. In fact, once I deleted the "W", I can't put it back. (it was there initially from a backup using backup assistant from my previous phone).

So I tried the comma...it does dial the extension after a pause, but it dials it too early.  The pause isn't long enough; the call hasn't been answered yet so the recording never hears the extension.  Is there a way to designate how long the pause is?

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
More commas?
0 Likes
pcw67427
Contributor - Level 1

Hey Thanks,

I used (3) commas for my voicemail & that definitely worked. Been trying to figure this (1) out too.

(An update, I ended-up making it (2) commas & that worked even better).

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2
Easy...type in your number sans the ext. Press the menu button on bottom of phone. Choose" add wait". Then your ext. That fixes it for u I hopehope
0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

Easy...type in your number sans the ext. Press the menu button on bottom of phone. Choose" add wait" or pause.that adds comma or semi. Do it x2 for good measure . Then your ext. That fixes it for u I hopehope

0 Likes
4x4van
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, the 3 commas worked for me.  BTW, when I press "menu", the only options are "Save, Delete, Discard Changes, & Add Photo".

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Here is another way to do this that I found strictly by accident,  if you are on dialer (Not Contacts) and you are inputting a phone number, when you get to where you wants to place a pause..... All you have to do is hit the menu button and there is a "ADD PAUSE" and a "ADD WAIT" option on the menu pop up and this will add a pause or wait until you interact with device.  I just tried both and Pause works well with 2 pauses before it dial password and the Wait just needs the one..

Just figure this could be something to play around with and see how it works out for you, appears this was the intended way to add a pause before dialing a ext. or password.

UPDATE: Just notice this posted a few post back..  :smileyvery-happy:  To Slow....

0 Likes
signguy7

FYI

I have a palm pre plus, use Google contacts to sync also.

I tried each of the extension symbols and found that the "p" works for my phone!

It dials the first part, then a pop up comes ups reading "dial XXX" you touch the pop up and it dials successfully.

Hop this helps someone else as well.

Peace

0 Likes