How long should the update take?
lucass1428
Enthusiast - Level 3

I of course are one of the many with the updates not working due to lack of space. I am going thru the forums, and trying again and again, but how long should the entire process take? Already 10 min go thru the first time, then I get a telephone call and the update stops. I try again, my daughter texts me, and update stops.

0 Likes
Re: How long should the update take?
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Good morning lucass1428,

It sounds like you had quite a few disruptions during the software update. I understand that you are a busy person, which is why I recommend completing the software update late at night. The immediate benefit to completing the update at night is that there is less data traffic on the network, which will expedite the process. Historically, the software update takes about 20 - 30 minutes to complete. If you are lacking the memory needed to complete the download then I recommend a factory reset to free up the needed space. Of course, I recommend backing up your contacts to Backup Assistant or your Gmail account prior to the factory reset. I have provided a link below with the steps on the reset.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=30946

Once you have completed the reset, retry the software update. If you have any additional questions or concerns then please reply to this message fir additional assistance.

Thank you...

0 Likes
lucass1428
Enthusiast - Level 3

How much room do I need? Currently I have 487MB free.

0 Likes
scubba82
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lucass1428 - you do not need to do the factory reset!!!  Once I finally learned how to download the update, it took about 5-6 minutes.  However, let's clarify what update you are referring to.  Is it the software update to 4.08.605.2??  If so, follow these instructions:  also just to note, I had 521mb free at the time I updated...  I posted these instructions to someone elses question today...

I just actually COMPLETED the 4.08 update after so many searches for answers/tutorials.  I found a forum in androidcentral.com which was the MOST helpful and solved the update problem.  It takes a few steps, but it did work.  I am sure you are not getting the 'update' status so you will want to bring that back up.

In order to do so, you need to 'boot into recovery'.  Here is the link with the instructions:  http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-incredible/134246-second-gb-update-patch-wont-reboot-...

After doing this, and your phone reboots, go to 'settings', 'about phone', 'system updates'.  If it is downloading, continue with the instructions for the download.  I did this, but what happened after was a message came up saying not enough space for the download, uninstall some applications, etc.  Okay, so what I did do, was go in to 'storage use', the 'all' tab, went through and CLEARED data.  I did not Uninstall anything.  Reading through the forums in that androidcentral site explained this. 

After doing that, to get the update started again, I did the same as what was in the link above, but before doing that again, I followed another user's advise by putting the phone into airplane mode, manually changing the date to 1 year ahead (make sure you 'uncheck' the 'automatic' box first), then went through the 'boot into recovery' steps. 

When the phone rebooted, I turned off the airplane mode, went back into 'settings', 'about phone', 'system updates' again and it had already began the download.  This time, however, it went through the entire process and did not get stuck on anything!!  I then went back into date & time (in settings) and 'rechecked' the 'automatic' box.  All's good!

Here is the link explaining (kind of) the date changing, airplane mode part:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-incredible/134054-those-who-want-second-gb-update-pat...

Note that this is page 12 of the forum threads - it is in thread #113. 

Hope this works for you - I tried several different ways and the way I have explained above finally worked.  Checked my software information and it is now at 4.08.605.2 (previously 4.06.605.2)

tbbiggs
Enthusiast - Level 1

FINALLY...a solution to this age old problem. This worked like a charm.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

And when I went to Verizon to ask what to do, the "technician" told me to do a hard reset!

0 Likes
Not applicable

That's exactly right Doing a Fr will help that New Update work more better with you Phone i have an Incredible My self an it's over a year Old now an i have done 5 Fr's after each New update with great Success so U should Be good to go ahead an Do the Factory Reset. If it does bother you to do an Fr yourself... Tech Services can help assist you in doing One. Good Luck   BR-549

0 Likes
franny63
Contributor - Level 1

Well its me (lucass1428) different sign-ons. Anyway, its been awhile since I posted the last one and still no update. Yes I have done that formatting and resetting as explained on Scubba82, (many times). I have cleared the data on my apps, many times, I have even gotten rid of many, I think I am up to 510 mb free? Now I have noticed my phone is going on and off (I am assuming updating) for the past 2 hours. Ready to pull the battery because it is not letting me do anything. It is stuck on the eye for awhile, then the HTC symbol, off and on and back again. This has been recycled for approx. 6 -7 or more times. Lost count.

0 Likes
franny63
Contributor - Level 1

Well never mind, I just got it. I took out the battery, put it in SAFE MODE, changed the date and still no update. So I re-started again,  fixed the time, and decided, "The Hell with it!" (for now at least), and then it started updating again. But this time it worked! So.....what should improvement should I be seeing?

0 Likes