Re: Gingerbread for HTC Thunderbolt
sagehornung

Yeah Skype works great when you stand in front of a mirror I had to try it out. My 2nd problem for me was that either I was upsidedown for my viewer or his pic was upside down for me. Well its a step in the right direction. I used it over 3g connection and video and audio worked flawless unlike all the other apps currently out so hopefully we can have a fully functional version in the near future. My only real gripe with this phone right now would be a working video chat app. Looks like I might finally get what I want! 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

ghamden wrote:

I agree it is a sad state of affairs that cellpnone companies and provider seem to be given a complete pass from any oversight  if any other manufacturer or company would use this type of misleading tactics they would have been investigated by about evey consumer protection agencies . With cellphones Buyer beware is by definition the status qou..

OK please explain to me why a 3rd party company which makes their own software, and money through there software get the pass, but everyone should blame companies that have NOTHING to do with their software?

I read all the "RUMORS" stating that Skype with video would be on the Thunderbolt.  That's just that RUMORS.  If Verizon has said anything it was on good faith that Skype would complete what they said they would.  This happens all the time, and people always takes them as "promises" when there was no promise made.  It gets kinda redundant...  A person could have returned their devices if it didn't have that "feature" and got everything back and wait until it does if you really wanted said item, or wait for the next "big thing".

If Skype didn't step up to the bar that's on them as they are the ones especially on their own forums everything is ON THEM.  They didn't do what they needed to do.  I can't remember in which thread it was on their boards.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Tidbits wrote:

ghamden wrote:

I agree it is a sad state of affairs that cellpnone companies and provider seem to be given a complete pass from any oversight  if any other manufacturer or company would use this type of misleading tactics they would have been investigated by about evey consumer protection agencies . With cellphones Buyer beware is by definition the status qou..

OK please explain to me why a 3rd party company which makes their own software, and money through there software get the pass, but everyone should blame companies that have NOTHING to do with their software?

I read all the "RUMORS" stating that Skype with video would be on the Thunderbolt.  That's just that RUMORS.  If Verizon has said anything it was on good faith that Skype would complete what they said they would.  This happens all the time, and people always takes them as "promises" when there was no promise made.  It gets kinda redundant...  A person could have returned their devices if it didn't have that "feature" and got everything back and wait until it does if you really wanted said item, or wait for the next "big thing".

If Skype didn't step up to the bar that's on them as they are the ones especially on their own forums everything is ON THEM.  They didn't do what they needed to do.  I can't remember in which thread it was on their boards.

+1 on that reply, I agree..

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3
I don't really care about Skype BUT some posters seem to forget just how much this functionality was hyped (and demo'd)at the CES. Then during the ensuing months waiting for device to be released, there was never an "officially" released statement saying it wasn't going to be included. Unambiguous communication, something a communication company should strive to be excellent at, goes a long way at setting and reseatting expectations. Maybe that ought to be given a whirl, ya think? Just my $.02.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

RobB772 wrote:
I don't really care about Skype BUT some posters seem to forget just how much this functionality was hyped (and demo'd)at the CES. Then during the ensuing months waiting for device to be released, there was never an "officially" released statement saying it wasn't going to be included. Unambiguous communication, something a communication company should strive to be excellent at, goes a long way at setting and reseatting expectations. Maybe that ought to be given a whirl, ya think? Just my $.02.

Actually there was plenty of releases about it not being ready during release.  It was from Skype who developed the software, and I saw it the first day when it was released.  Skype kepted everyone in the dark until the last minute.

As I said before.  Sometimes things are said in good faith.  Verizon did that with Skype and HTC.  Skype and HTC dropped the ball and Skype admitted THEY dropped the ball.  Verizon has no control on Skype software.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Tidbits wrote:

Actually there was plenty of releases about it not being ready during release. It was from Skype who developed the software, and I saw it the first day when it was released. Skype kepted everyone in the dark until the last minute.

As I said before. Sometimes things are said in good faith. Verizon did that with Skype and HTC. Skype and HTC dropped the ball and Skype admitted THEY dropped the ball. Verizon has no control on Skype software."

As I posted,

Verizon is a communication company and I’m pretty sure that Verizon wasn’t kept in the dark by Skype. Verizon should have officially addressed the “misconception” that was going to be integrated into the Thunderbolt at release.  After all wasn’t it Verizon reps at CES demoing and hyping this functionality at CES? It was because of that picked up and reported by all the major and minor players in technology reporting. During those weeks between CES and release Verizon remained mute. How can you possibly believe Verizon deserves a “pass” on not setting the record straight? Ultimately Verizon is the entity that sells the phone to the customer.

To most it’s obvious that not correcting this and other “misunderstandings” (remember the 8MB internal RAM that was never “officially” defined as mostly non-user accessible?)  only help promote marketing hype that helps sales.

A little upfront honesty WOULD have reset expectations. Instead corporate silence won out.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

RobB772 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Actually there was plenty of releases about it not being ready during release. It was from Skype who developed the software, and I saw it the first day when it was released. Skype kepted everyone in the dark until the last minute.

As I said before. Sometimes things are said in good faith. Verizon did that with Skype and HTC. Skype and HTC dropped the ball and Skype admitted THEY dropped the ball. Verizon has no control on Skype software."

As I posted,

Verizon is a communication company and I’m pretty sure that Verizon wasn’t kept in the dark by Skype. Verizon should have officially addressed the “misconception” that was going to be integrated into the Thunderbolt at release.  After all wasn’t it Verizon reps at CES demoing and hyping this functionality at CES? It was because of that picked up and reported by all the major and minor players in technology reporting. During those weeks between CES and release Verizon remained mute. How can you possibly believe Verizon deserves a “pass” on not setting the record straight? Ultimately Verizon is the entity that sells the phone to the customer.

To most it’s obvious that not correcting this and other “misunderstandings” (remember the 8MB internal RAM that was never “officially” defined as mostly non-user accessible?)  only help promote marketing hype that helps sales.

A little upfront honesty WOULD have reset expectations. Instead corporate silence won out.

It's not their software...  That's what you are overlooking.  All their information is coming from Skype.  If Skype says nothing then what is Verizon supposed to say other than the obvious?  "It's not on the device it's up to Skype".
I guess people don't remember the G2.  I remember looking at Verizon website it said 4GB, While HTC website said something completely different.  In correctness Verizon is right as far as the partition goes.  There is in fact a 8GB Nandflash in there, but the way HTC formatted the nandflash it basically turned it into a 4GB.  Honestly it's a GOOD thing, but people don't understand the differences between the formatting and what they can and can't do.  So honestly like I said before about this stuff...  People found out during day 1 and people DIDN'T have to hold onto the device if this stuff bothered them. 
I do give Verizon a free pass.  Most of this stuff is OUT OF THEIR CONTROL.  If someone doesn't say something to you do I have a right to get mad at you for not telling me what you DON'T know?
0 Likes
dchitnis

Guys to put the record straight, Skype has provided the software with Video Calling. Only the rear camera works because the OS does not support multiple cameras. Check this http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3.html Agreed, It took time for Skype to release their software, but I suppose they were waiting for the OS upgrade to 2.3 for supporting the 2 cameras. Since Verizon & HTC dropped the ball on the OS upgrade, they were forced to release the video calling the way it is.

0 Likes
Ambushbug
" Only the rear camera works because the OS does not support multiple cameras."

The problem with that is that is that we know multiple cameras do work with the OS. Many of us were using a leaked version of Skype before the MR2 update with the FFC functioning fine.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

and you don't even need a tweaked/leaked app to use it. open your stock camera app. switch it to the front facing cam. did it work? this is a stock app on froyo and the front facing cam works just fine.

0 Likes