Gingerbread for HTC Thunderbolt
Profaniter
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey guys, I hope ya all are enjoying your HTC Thunderbolt...

First thing first, I've made some few calls to both HTC and Thunderbolt and they kept pointing to each other. As in I was trying to say that Verizon would say "HTC is responsible for this" and HTC will say the same thing..

I know a lot of us would really want Gingerbread on Thunderbolt phones that we have in our hands and I want to ask one silly simple stupid question: When in hell will we get Gingerbread on our phones?

I thought about it a lot and think it's really ridiculously stupid that many another Android phones have received Gingerbread before Thunderbolt, not to mention those phones the ones that came out AFTER Thunderbolt...

So any helps or any comments, anything at all, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Hope someone read this and reply soon thank you!

0 Likes
Re: Gingerbread for HTC Thunderbolt
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

Both the manufacturer and carrier work on updates

The thunderbolt has a lot of other software issues right now.. I'm sure they are trying to work those out.

What will gingerbread bring to the thunderbolt? Nothing

The problems with the phone like battery and switching to lte/3g all the time need to be addressed first

The xperia has 2.3..so what

I really don't understand the issue

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

This subject has been covered meny times before and the statement I can say :How many 4G devices have Gingerbread"?  If you think about it you would learn there is no 4G device yet..

0 Likes
Ambushbug

My response is right in line with the two above. No 4G phones on Verizon have GB yet, so it's not like it's getting left behind. Also what is it that you and others want so bad from GB that it's upsetting you so much? I think so many people have just got caught up in the "OMG Gingerbread!" hysteria that they don't even know what it is about GB they actually want.

0 Likes
prowley40

I personally believe Motorola has some deal with Verizon to release the first 4g Gingerbread phone.  And id bet that once the Bionic comes out in sept within a month or so we will see the TB, Charge, and revolution all get GB updates.  Not to mention it will be a selling point to convince people to shell out 250-300 on the bionic vs 100-250 for the TB, Charge or revolution.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

while i'm not that worried about it.....people have a right to want the most recent version of the OS...particularly when one of the BEST features (video calls) requires GB if you want to use Skype (which is the standard). we all got the first LTE device from verizon and i understood that we were more or less going to be a giant test case. however, it's been over 4 months now and they have had time to work everything out AND get GB ready to push. in my opinion, it's pretty lame. when you consider that the lifespan of their high end phones are now less than one year, it is a bit annoying that 4 months into this one they have still not updated it to GB. by the end of the year this phone will be old news and they likely won't even be supporting it. i wish they would focus on perfecting some more of what they offer instead of CONSTANTLY releasig new devices with issues. in a year and a half they released 7 (or more??) motorollas. i'm all for options and choices, but i'd rather see them keep up with updates instead of release a new phone every month.  

0 Likes
Ambushbug

People have the "right" to want the newest version of software, never said they didn't. My point is most people can't tell you what it is or why they want it. I just belive that once it's released you are going to get a whole lot of "is that it?" from people.

As far as needing GB for Skype that's not true, I've used Skype on my stock TB up until the last update. If Skype wanted to release a working versions on Froyo they could, they just choose not to. That is an issue with Skype, not Verizon or HTC. Now that Microsoft has bought Skype I wouldn't expect them to be in any hurry to help their competition when they are trying to promote their own Windows based phone.

0 Likes
prowley40

You are absolutely right.  Tons of choices in devices is good.  Not having the most up to date software is not.  And all non Apple companies will learn that soon enough.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Ambushbug wrote:

People have the "right" to want the newest version of software, never said they didn't. My point is most people can't tell you what it is or why they want it. I just belive that once it's released you are going to get a whole lot of "is that it?" from people.

As far as needing GB for Skype that's not true, I've used Skype on my stock TB up until the last update. If Skype wanted to release a working versions on Froyo they could, they just choose not to. That is an issue with Skype, not Verizon or HTC. Now that Microsoft has bought Skype I wouldn't expect them to be in any hurry to help their competition when they are trying to promote their own Windows based phone.

if you can no longer use skype then i believe it is true that you need GB.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3
Isn't gb suppose to integrate multiple cameras? And provide better power management (without relying on 3rd party apps VZW can blame for causing problems). Just the supposed froyo bug fixes should make it a priority on the phone after your dream phone (under the hood or clearly user visible)
0 Likes