Froyo Bluetooth Problem
choubacca

Ever since the Froyo update, my HTC Incredible restarts every time it disconnects from my car's bluetooth.  Is anyone else having this issue?

0 Likes
Re: Froyo Bluetooth Problem
VZW_Zrock02
Contributor - Level 3

It seems something in your phone settings has become corrupt. I would recommend performing a hard reset to clear this up. The instructions to performing the reset are listed below:

Performing a factory reset via settings

The most convenient way to do a factory reset is via the phone settings.

Press HOME

> MENU,

then tap Settings.

Scroll down the screen,

and then tap Privacy

> Factory data reset.

On the Factory data reset screen,

tap Reset phone,

and then tap Erase everything.

Once you have done this it should resolve your issue and your Bluetooth should begin to work correctly. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
SAMERRILL

I've had the same problem since the Froyo update with two different bluetooth headsets.  Did you resolve yours?  I really hate jumping straight to a "factory reset" as solution. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i just hate the fact that so many people (including the reps here) are so quick to reply with "do a factory reset." it'd be nice if they at least warned you first, that, oh, by the way, you'll lose everything on your phone.

0 Likes
izgil

AZSALUKI, I would like to add something to what you said,

Not only are these reps quick suggesting a factory reset, they don't even try to resolve an issue without having to suggest a factory reset. What's the point of those reps to be here? Any non-VZW member can suggest a factory reset, these reps might as well just stay out of this forum if they don't have a solution. I thought their purpose here was to actually suggest a useful tip or a technical advice.

It's like calling a computer manufacturer and instead of resolving a problem they'd tell you to reinstall an operating system (or do a system restore which is more relevant to a factory reset idea). This is just ridiculous. I wonder how much these reps get paid. I wouldn't even be surprised if they do it all from the convinience of their homes.

Dear stubborn VZW reps,

Please, stop suggesting us to do a factory reset. WE ARE AWARE WITHOUT YOUR BELONY THAT FACTORY RESET WOULD RESOLVE THE PROBLEM. We need solutions to our issues WITHOUT having to do a factory reset. Factory reset is the easiest way out. Is this why you, people, got these "jobs"?

Thank you.

0 Likes
vglass

I could not agree with Igzil more.  I have contacted Verizon about multiple issues since the 2.2/Froyo down grade and they have not offered one solution.  Only that since I "elected" to download the 2.2 that I can get a "like new" phone that will more than likely have the 2.2.  "We hope this helps".  I now have talked to several people in person (at work) that are having the identical problems as me; too slow to charge (yes I heard by design, but not only could the 2.1 version charge my phone while listening to Pandora but so could my BB Storm, so I don't by that it is now working the way it was supposed to), the battery life has been significantly less, our screens randomly jump from one to the other (yes we cleaned the optical joystick, never had this happen once now happens 50% of the time), at times (not always) the phone overall seems to operate slower, or freezes, etc..., we can no longer open our voice mails that are sent through outlook (WAV files) the phone, which did before 2.2, now says "cannot open, file type not recognized", will freeze while on Pandora or jump from stereo plugged into to speaker on phone without touching (yes it's plugged in securely).  Over all it still works but is very "buggy", literally was not once before.

But I realize that Google,  Verizon, or HTC set out to shoot themselves in the foot for fun.  I get the probability of glitches with a new OS sent out in masses are high, but what kills me is the responses Verizon gives, including in this stream. And even more so some of the people on this site who act like, "I'm not having issues, I just pulled my card, rebooted, went into the hard drive rewired the gig drive and it works OK".  Again, look at the post here, willing to bet a gig nano card that the % of new people posting on this site is off the charts and that it is centered around this 2.2 downgrade.  Verizon needs to keep in mind that they "elected" to push out a product that is full of significant issues without warning or options for resolution. 

Google is a top notch company.  From my experience Verizon, relative to the sleazy cell phone industry, is the best in service, and my HTC Incredible was literally the most impressive piece of electronic equipment I have owned.  My hope is this will be temporary and the bugs will be worked out.  My fear is I owned the original BB Storm and nothing was done and Verizon acted like they had not heard of any problems.

Sorry for the long post.

0 Likes
choubacca

Tried the factory reset and the phone still restarts after it disconnects from my bluetooth.  This is after spending 30 minute finding the Factory data reset option (under SD & phone storage not Privacy), and another 2 hours to re-setup my phone and reinstall all the apps.  I'll probably switch out my phone at the Verizon store and try again.

0 Likes
SAMERRILL

I also finally tried the factory reset.  The phone did not restart after Bluetooth disconnects for the 1st week but it's back to restarting when either disconnecting Bluetooth.  I've tried shutting off the Bluetooth device and shutting off Bluetooth on the phone.  It even restarts if I go out of range of the Bluetooth device.  Have Jabra Bluetooth speaker and Jawbone earpiece that experience restarts with both.  Very frustrating.  AppBrain.com is a lifesaver for reinstalling apps. 

0 Likes
pwjohnso

I'm on my second (not so) Incredible and it does not play well with my truck's SYNC system. Hell, since 2.2 it doesn't play well with anything. It won't charge, it's unstable, the apps won't shut down even with ATK, the screen randomly scrolls and won't respond, it's slower, it won't play wav files, etc.

0 Likes
JimJohnson

If you search any of the other Android forums outside Verizon's, you will find many, many, many issues with the Incredible and Bluetooth services. These issues started with Android 2.1 and continue into 2.2 (Froyo).

HTC's response is it uses whatever Bluetooth stack (the software that allows data connections with a variety of Bluetooth devices) has been supplied by Google. Several Linux experts (Android is built from Linux) claim this is not true, that HTC has in fact stayed with a very old version of the Android Bluetooth stack and not used the version released with 2.2. Speculation is that the current version of the Bluetooth stack conflicts with HTC's user interface, and rather than recode it - lets Bluetooth support go to crap.

Verizon isn't going to be able to do much to fix this issue directly. However, what it CAN do is pressure HTC to update Bluetooth support - including related coding as necessary.

I have a 5-line family account with Verizon. Trust me, Verizon's and HTC's response to this issue will weigh heavily on my decision when the current contract is met. There are some wonderful Bluetooth devices out there that other phones can use and the Incredible cannot. And as some of these devices will likely increase my phone use (and Verizon's revenue), it is in Verizon's best interest to push HTC hard.

0 Likes