Feel like an IDIOT asking this
tigerj13

Ok... I'm an old guy trying to figure out this Dinc thing.  I don't think I'm an idiot.  But HOW DO YOU CLOSE AN APP????

I have AppKiller which can kill off an app, but when I open the Internet window, I can't find a Quit option in the menu.  I thought that was insane, then I noticed none of my apps have a quit.  This can't be right so I must have missed something in the 300+ pages of my manual? 

0 Likes
Re: Feel like an IDIOT asking this
firestopper505

your app killer is the answer

0 Likes
FramCire

Some apps give you the option of closing.

HOWEVER, the great thing about Android is that it will close the app for you if it needs the memory.

You do not need a task killer (read up on them, many people think they are bad for your phone).

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

app killer or no app killer. the endless debate. i have one and use it. i think they are fine, and many in the know have told me they are....IF you learn how to use it properly. you can create an "ignore list." you put things like calendar, clock, etc (things that you DO NOT want to shut down ever) on this list. then periodically just toufh the app killer to kill all running programs. it's the easiest way to end them. however, like framcire said, some apprs have a quit or exit command in there menu.....some will also quit by backing out (touch the little back arrow over and over until it exits or asks if you really want to exit). some programs also don't have any quit or exit command. it will not be a problem if your iternet is running in the background. i actually like it when i open it back up and i'm still on the last page i left.

0 Likes
alotonmymind
My app killer is I onte of the best free apps I have on my phone. U would be surprise to know just how many apps don't close completely. If I have opened a lot of pages on the internet its easy just to kill the internet instead of trying to back out of all those pages.
0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Take a look at:

Why you don't need App Killer

You shouldn't use App Killer

I don't have app killer. The way I "close an app" is just force close it. Works for me

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you can force close them from your settings, but don't you have to go in and do it one at a time??? annoying.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

To follow is from one of the articles. i've inserted my response/experience after each statement. So… the TL;DNR Version:

• Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when more memory is needed. do you really want to wait for more memory to be required to terminate a program?
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when it’s done doing what it needs to do. then why are there anywhere from 5-15 apps running every time i check?
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when you haven’t returned to it in a long time. again...many apps are always running? some that i never even started?
  • Most services (while possibly running in the background) use very little memory when not actively doing something. "very little" sure....but they are still using memory!
  • A content provider is only doing something when there is a notification for it to give. Otherwise it uses very little memory. again...still using memory.
  • Killing a process when it isn’t ready only causes it to have to reload itself and start from scratch when it’s needed again. if you want the app to stay open, just put it on the "ignore list" of your app killer.
  • Because a task is likely running in the background for a reason, killing it will only cause it to re-spawn as soon as the activity that was using it looks for it again. And it will just have to start over again. so what? if it'll restart...and if it's a vital app to you then use the "ignore list." (clock, calendar, etc)
  • Killing certain processes can have undesirable side effects. Not receiving text messages, alarms not going off, and force closes just to name a few. see above. if you use third party apps for email, mms, sms, etc....you just have to "ignore" those apps. but the killer DOES not kill the stock messaging or email programs. 
  • The only true way to prevent something from running at all on your phone would be to uninstall the .apk. true...but you can at least kill the dozen apps running with one touch (if you use the widget instead of the app)
  • Most applications will exit themselves if you get out of it by hitting “back” until it closes rather than hitting the “home” button. But even with hitting home, Android will eventually kill it once it’s been in the background for a while. OR...you can kill it immediately with an app killer!
here's the deal.....if you learn how to use it properly an app killer is valuable. not necessary, but convenient. if you know how to use the ignore list and include what you need to, then i have yet to see how it can cause any harm. i'm no expert, but have had the inc with app killer for 4 months and love it!!! anyone can correct me if any of my input is inaccurate. 
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

btw greatone....happy birthday. i been watchin your countdown!!!

0 Likes
vogtage

You are also forgetting that any app running and using memory is also using extra battery power. By just closing unused apps you conserve battery. You can gain significant battery time by reducing the number of running apps.

0 Likes