Emptying my email trash purges my Inbox at Earthlink
Bigfoot46555
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know I have to "uncheck" the box about deleting emails from server when new messages are downloaded to my phone, but I've recently come to see that when I delete messages from the phone's inbox to the trash, nothing happens to messages sitting on my Earthlink.net server/account, but when ever I delete the contents of my phone's "trash folder", it's deleting them on my Earthlink account.

I've found nothing on the phone that deals with leaving messages alone and not messing with the server. Is there ANY WAY I can get my phone to quit deleting messages back at Earthlink when I empty my trash folder on the phone?

This is both annoying and stupid.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Emptying my email trash purges my Inbox at Earthlink
budone
Legend

If you are using the stock email program, try k9. That corrected the issue I had with mail getting deleted from the server.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

If you are using the stock email program, try k9. That corrected the issue I had with mail getting deleted from the server.

0 Likes
Bigfoot46555
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok. I just downloaded it. I'll give it 24 hours and let you know how I like it.

0 Likes
johnhboyd

Mail

Menu

More

Settings

Send & Receive

Delete Mail on Server

0 Likes
johnhboyd

BTW, for me, just deleting messages deletes them from Earthlink.  Nothing to do with emptying the Trash folder.

0 Likes
Bigfoot46555
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, John. I've done that, but that setting is to either "do nothing" or let the phone delete the email from it's server when you receive/download it the first time from your email service. I had it "unchecked" which meant it should NOT ever delete it from Earthlink, and it wasn't doing that when it downloaded. However, when I deleted it (moved it to trash), once deleted FROM the trash folder, it was making it disappear from my Earthlink account. There appears to be NO setting to stop that.

I went with the suggestion to try K-9 mail program, and after a day of using it, while it's a bit different visually, it at least gives you options on server deletion and has solved my issue. Considering it's free, you can't beat that.

Thanks all !

0 Likes