Droid data/roaming charges?
Bflynn1

I live in Maryland and have a summer home just across the border from Maine in Canada.  I do not use my phone much on either side of the border as, even in Maine, I get billed for roaming charges. (I'm guessing the signal is being processed through a Canadian tower even when in Maine).  I just got a new Moto Droid and was wondering if I will get additional charges if I use the data features (email, internet, etc.) close to the Canadian border or at my Canada house.  Local Verizon store was not clear.  Canada is not included in my calling plan.

0 Likes
Re: Droid data/roaming charges?
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

Bflynn1 wrote:

I live in Maryland and have a summer home just across the border from Maine in Canada.  I do not use my phone much on either side of the border as, even in Maine, I get billed for roaming charges. (I'm guessing the signal is being processed through a Canadian tower even when in Maine).  I just got a new Moto Droid and was wondering if I will get additional charges if I use the data features (email, internet, etc.) close to the Canadian border or at my Canada house.  Local Verizon store was not clear.  Canada is not included in my calling plan.

i believe verizon offers specific data plans for people that go abroad, like to canada or mexico, if you can afford it, i suggest trying that to avoid the large fees if you dont have it (plus they are short term plans, not like a year thing)

you can try turning your airplane mode on, thus disabling your cellphone for calls, but use the wifi portion. internet is internet no matter where you are but if you use the verizon towers for your access then thats a whole other ball of wax.

0 Likes
Re: Droid data/roaming charges?
Iceman1906
Contributor - Level 1

You will be covered by your current data plan if the tower that picks you up is a 3G tower. Here is the a link showing coverage.

0 Likes