Droid as modem?
Helpneeded

I was told by the in store salesman that I can use my droid as a modem to connect my home computer to the internet...I currently have a wild-blue satellite internet service pkge, and both a Mac and PC computers. The phone gets very good  reception in my country home and I have been told it won't work on the Mac and I will have to pay an additional charge to use it on the PC by customer service. Help...........

0 Likes
Re: Droid as modem?
Not applicable
Although your Droid is capable of tethering, Verizon does not sell a tethering plan for the Droid.
0 Likes
Helpneeded

thanks for the reply  Was I led down the path to buy or or will the program be available?  

0 Likes
Not applicable
That's a good question. Every time I ask customer service, they say they have received no information.
0 Likes
mikerst

There is an app in the Market called {edit for TOS violation}.  I has a cost of 18.95 to purchase the full version.  It is worth it!  Program works with my Droid flawlessly.  I highly recommend it.

Good luck.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Under Wireless and networks, there is an option called, "Mobile Broadband Connect"  With 2.2. that is Verizon Tethering. It will take you to a screen to load the drivers for the product. Jim says it is $20 for 2GB, I still say it is $30 for 5GB. All I can think of is when the Hotspot option came out, Verizon decided to say it is $20 for 2GB for either. Now is that combined tethering and hotspot connection, I have no idea.

{edit for TOS violation}is out there along with others. But supposedly using those products violate the TOS agreement. I cant say one way or the other on that issue.I am just posting what I have read.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

budone wrote:

Under Wireless and networks, there is an option called, "Mobile Broadband Connect"  With 2.2. that is Verizon Tethering. It will take you to a screen to load the drivers for the product. Jim says it is $20 for 2GB, I still say it is $30 for 5GB. All I can think of is when the Hotspot option came out, Verizon decided to say it is $20 for 2GB for either. Now is that combined tethering and hotspot connection, I have no idea.

{edit for TOS violation} is out there along with others. But supposedly using those products violate the TOS agreement. I cant say one way or the other on that issue.I am just posting what I have read.

The built-in tethering option on the Droid is only USB and doesn't work.  Well it would've worked had verizon not touched it.  When you dial the number that is on that page after enabling USB Tethering, the reps will tell you that they have no documentation on the droid being able to tether.  When the Droid was released, USB tethering was supposedly scheduled for Q1 2010 but I'm guessing they couldn't find a way to track it to they're just not allowing it on a stock rom. 

0 Likes
Not applicable
It will work, they just won't sell it to you for use with the Droid. And it's 2 GB for $20 for smartphones. It's 5 GB for $30 for multimedia and feature phones.
0 Likes
INOV8TN

This is such a 'downer'.

A couple of months ago my local Verizon store told me that the Droid 2 would do the 5GB tethered modem function so I bought it to replace my BB Curve 8330C which does give me the tethered modem function via the VZAccess add-on.

I spent 2 days (Yeah, I'm stubborn) trying to get the tethered modem function to work - first via VZAccess {edit for TOS violation}

The{edit for TOS violation}

installed OK on both the D2 and my Dell PC (64 bit Vista) but the PC side didn't recognize the USB connection and kept telling me that I needed to insert a LAN Cable in a network socket.in order to get the system working. 

I called Verizon support and after talking to a bunch of techs got to one who knew his stuff.  "It Won't work!" was the bad but definitive news.

Alas, I had to return the Droid (which, in the meantime, I had fallen in love with) but to Verizon's credit (specifically because I was promised that the D2 would handle the tehered modem function) they set my account back to before I got the D2 and even refunded the cost of the holster and screen protector accessories.

I was just checking here to see if anyone had found a way to accomplish TM so I could upgrade to a D2 or 'D3' lol. 

Maybe as Thanksgiving approaches VZW will announce  some new PDA's.

0 Likes