Re: Droid X - Restart Issues
scarr

My phone has done this twice once just in my pocket and the second time I was on the phone talking to someone. I had to call Verizon support for a App that I installed that wouldn't work on the Droid X and he helped me uninstall it and I also asked him about the restart problem I had and he adviced me to turn the phone off for a period of time every day because it is just like a small computer and see if that helps. I am not sure if it has helped or not because it hasn't done it again so maybe it does help if you do turn it off. 

0 Likes
kevlar119

Please be sure to also go to the Motorola Support Forums and report this there.  A large thread is located on that forum for random reboots as well.  Here is the link to that forum:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/33153?tstart=0      

Also, per the advice of the Motorola tech on that forum, you should remove any task killers - the android OS doesn't need it.  There are apps that are shown in the background, but they are only "ready to run" when needed.  If the OS needs extra memory, these apps close automatically.  VZW store employees need to stop telling customers to install these apps (Task Killers).

0 Likes
VZNYC1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just activated my new Droid X 2 days ago & ever since I activated it, It keeps freezing & rebooting itself. I tried removing the battery for 5 minutes & restarting. I also checked for any software updates. I even went as far as doing a complete restore to factory condition, and the problem still exists. It sometimes reboots itself without even touching it! So, yesterday I went to a VZ wireless store after calling support over the phone. The store told me they need to replace it & will ship me a new one. Of course, as usual, they didn't have any in stock. I'll be lucky if I get my replacement by September.

0 Likes
lmccol8122

Well, I have been loving my X since I got it the morning they were released. But a few days ago it started locking up, moving really slow and rebooting on its own. I took it by the Verizon store this afternoon and of course their solution was to do a master reset. Which I did, since I couldn't keep using the phone in i...t's present condition. Hopefully this will not continue to be an ongoing problem, because I am not enjoying downloading all my apps and resetting up the phone!!

0 Likes
woohoo212

This problem started for me around 5 days ago.  It restarts everytime I get a text, email, pretty much every ping from Verizon.  It's an amazing pain in the butt and pretty much unusable.  Anyone had any luck fixing this?

0 Likes
VZNYC1
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are no software resets that will solve your problem... (*228, factory resets, etc...) This is a hardware problem which VZ wireless keeps telling people they are not aware of any issues... I took mine to VZW a few days after I got my droid X & they ordered me a new one. I got it the next business day. Don't know if everyone else was so lucky, but you need to return the phone for a replacement. My new phone is flawless... good luck

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

@ Kevlar119

Hi...Sorry, i call **bleep** on your whole response.  The use of a task killer is so we can have some control of the content on our phones and to extend battery life.  It is proven by the android community that the use of a task killer IS indeed recommended.  Also, these background apps you say are "ready to run" Like, CityID, Blockbuster and numerous other bloatware are in fact using system resources.

Of course Motorola will say that because of the constant comparisons to iOS' user friendliness.....if only we could use a task killer to shut down Blur! 

As much as I dislike cell phone sales people, it seems they all belong in New Jersey ("hey, let me see your phone") that is one point they've got right.  I  hope they do keep telling purchasers to use a task killer, i just hope the customers understand why.

Dj.

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

"Hi...Sorry, i call **bleep** on your whole response"

interesting that the forum censors 2 letters. "B" and "S" when you put them side by side.  I don't know how that is more offensive than "BLEEP" that they auto replaced it with. 

So, as i said. i call {word filter avoidance} on it.

0 Likes
chazz894

I have had this issue on 2 lines on my account I started with the HTC droid incredible and after me and my daughter both replaced that phone 7 times in less then 6 mounts and the last 4 was in less then 30 days Verizon offered us the Droid X as a replacement for that device. I was hoping that changing to another manufacturer would fix the issue.

Now in less then 3 weeks one of the droid x's will no longer power on it will get to the red driod symbol and then power back off. The other one has restarted itself 4-5 times on several apps so the apps are not the issue that I can seem to find and also when it is just sitting on my table and no one has gone near it.

I did the factory reset on the HTC phones and also have looked at the apps on the 2 phones me and my daughter made sure that we pick's apps that were similar in function but not made by the same Co that way we could rule out a problem with a specific app, still the problem persist.

We charge the phones in different ways I use the USB cable connected to my computer to charge my phone she uses the wall plug to charge hers. We sync to different computers with different OS's on them one windows 7 the other Mac OS X. The only constant I have found is the 2 phones run about the same OS. I contacted Verizon Tech Support today and after advising them of the issue and being told again that it is not a problem that they get lots of calls about I was directed to Motorola for this issue, and told if Motorola was unable to help me with some type of software fix to call Verizon back since Motorola tech support for phones is closed till tomorrow morning am waiting to hear back from them. I will update my post with the info I get from Motorola tomorrow when I speak to them.

0 Likes