Re: Droid... Very disappointing news
techspert
Contributor - Level 1

Neverknow wrote:

It's just disappointing to here all the hype over the "iPhone killer" only to find out that is't just NOT.

Who cares how many aps a certain OS has if you can't dowload and utilize them all. You can't max out the iPhone due to all the available space!!

I'm just tired of all the marketing hype only to be left with a ultimate fail. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Neverknow

You can't max out the iphone on apps, but you easily can on other things.  I love taking my movies and re-encoding them to mpeg4 files (~500MB-700MB each).  That fills up an iphone FAST along with apps and music.  Now, do I need 500 apps on my phone?  Not really.  So while the memory for apps is limited, it's not a deal breaker for me.  I do think they need to consider improving on this in the future by upping onboard memory on these phones for app storage.  I just don't see any OS provider opening up to offloading apps if they want to protect their developer community from piracy.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

I don't really understand why Piracy of apps is an issue since it is an Open source OS that requires Open source programs (gnu public license) to run it.  The source codes should be available for compiling from source anyway.  Which is why I think some of the big dogs have kept out of this fight so far.  I really want the Droid but the price point may keep me out for now.  I will probably end up with the Eris which won't disappoint me too much except I really wanted a physical keypad.  I don't think I will fill up the available memory either but it will hurt sales for people who are looking for the awesome cool phone who likes things like games and what not.  You know kids the ones this is marketed to. 

0 Likes
paxchris

lonnie wrote:

Anyone still waiting for droid?

I'm still waiting for it :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
eli_lilly

Samsungfan123 wrote:

Don't care about the Iphone but the M$ Marketplace has this same exact problem.

But xda-dev already has a cab that fixes it.

-E

0 Likes
DJA984

Perhaps they are waiting for an "App Syncing" solution?  iPhone doesn't let you download anything over 10 megs on the 3g network...  Only lets you either get it thru iTunes, then sync, or over wifi.  Makes sense...   But I do know you can partition the device to see most of the card as ROM memory as well in a hack?   I do hope they open this up, because if they want to compete - the average person isn't going to want to re-partition the storage.  And most importantly - NO VZ **bleep**.  NO VCAST, NO VZ NAVIGATOR. KEEP OUT.  They ruined the razr already - remember how slow that thing was with VZ os?  Then when you do the seam edit to get Motorola's BETTER os and UI how much more responsive, snappy, and intuitive it was? 

Speak up about this and spread the word so hopefully google and motorola respond.

0 Likes
nickc50310

If you read through the comments, this isnt as big of a deal as it was initially made out to be. 

0 Likes
billjrichard

For the tech savy type, there is Apps2sd which allows you to install & run your apps from the 16gb SD memory.

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1

billjrichard wrote:

For the tech savy type, there is Apps2sd which allows you to install & run your apps from the 16gb SD memory.

I was just about to speculate that someone would eventually write an application that would solve this issue. Isn't open source amazing?

0 Likes
techspert
Contributor - Level 1

DJA984 wrote:

Perhaps they are waiting for an "App Syncing" solution?  iPhone doesn't let you download anything over 10 megs on the 3g network...  Only lets you either get it thru iTunes, then sync, or over wifi.  Makes sense...   But I do know you can partition the device to see most of the card as ROM memory as well in a hack?   I do hope they open this up, because if they want to compete - the average person isn't going to want to re-partition the storage.  And most importantly - NO VZ **bleep**.  NO VCAST, NO VZ NAVIGATOR. KEEP OUT.  They ruined the razr already - remember how slow that thing was with VZ os?  Then when you do the seam edit to get Motorola's BETTER os and UI how much more responsive, snappy, and intuitive it was? 

Speak up about this and spread the word so hopefully google and motorola respond.

Remember?  Every stinking day I remember because that's my current phone.  :smileymad:

0 Likes
Re: Droid... Very disappointing news ****NOT**** Google + Open source = better than iphone
destardi

1) App executables are saved in phone ROM; these are tiny.  Graphics and other high space useage items ARE saved on the SD Card.

2) I have 34 apps on my phone already, and still have 180 mb phone ROM left - Great!

3) You won't even have to be a 'techie' soon enough...this faux issue is being addressed already for Apps2SD so that Android is that way by default.

4)the iphone is susceptible to the same issue:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/29/iphone-hacks-running-out-of-application-space-on-your-iphone-or/

Again...this is a NON-ISSUE

0 Likes