Re: Droid Bionic has numerous issues after Jelly Bean update - Help
ebayphonedude
Enthusiast - Level 1

HI Sparks1971. If you havent found a fix, I may be able to help. I am a bit of a Droid Bionic fan. I have now owned and used as a daily driver 5 bionics and in all have owned 9. I buy, repair, and sell bionics, well did until he average price of one in near mint condition on ebay dropped to about $50-75. (Yep, really, you can get one that won't have issues that cheap if you were otherwise happy with it.). The questions to ask any seller are (copy/paste it to the message box on ebay) :

1) Does this phone have a clean/clear ESN/Serial number and is it read for me to activate on my verizon account? 2) has the phone been exposed to water? 3) are there any imperfections in the display? Eg.- dead pixles, bright spots,etc. 4) are there any imperfections in the glass? Scratches, scuffs, discoloring? 5) do all phone features/functions work?

s work properly? (Speakers, bluetooth, wifi, 3g, 4g data). 6) what HW version is the phone? on the main sticker underneath the battery, it is printed in capital letters. Thanks in advance!
The reality is many sellers will not know or answer many of these. But, whatever they do, is contractual and binding and will help you to get one. My main deal breakers are esn, water, and dead pixels, display issues. If you want another bionic, this is the way to go. And switching them is as simple as powering down both phones, and putting your sim  card and sd card in the new phone. 
      Speaking of contractual and binding, if you are still on contract at all, depending on what country you are in, the law may mandate that Verizon must replace your device free of charge. You cannot access the service you are bound to pay for, nor the services you are being billed for, and requiring you to sign another contract or pay anything additional to access said services would be illegal in some countries.

As far as repairing your Bionic, as it is, FOR FREE, I have had only 1 bionic with data problems that a complete factory reset done with a computer did not fix. The symptoms sound similar to what you have described, though. I called that radio problem the triangle of death. Data would connect at boot, then the triangle in the status bar. If this describes what you are seeing, the phone (radio specifically) is shot and NOTHING will fix it. If this is not exactly what you are seeing, the way to eliminate the possibility of it being software will require a couple of hours of your time, a little bit of reading for detail, and a bit of patience. It is referred to in slang as FXZ'ing. It is done using Motorola's own factory software ,RSD lite 5.8 coupled with the appropriate FXZ file (factory image, erases all data and changes) for Motorola Targa XT875 (bionic's proper name). For jb you would need 98.72.22. Google it all. Look for Obsidian and SamuriHL and Sam's tool House Of Moto. (Two people who know LOTS and are extremely helpful. ). Now you will find *other* things you can do to make your Bionic operate like a totally different (and better) phone once you get data working or get a new Bionic, but since we're here, I will leave that reading up to you.

This line will probably get edited, but in all honesty, mods, this does ZERO harm to anyone's phone, their access, the network, etc.  1) Open your phone dialer as you would if making a call. 2) dial *#*#4636#*#* 3) a menu will appear allowing you to ping Google's server, change network type, and turn the LTE radio on or off. Press EVDO/CDMA/LTE for the network type. (it should already be on that, it won't hurt anything to press it again.)  You can try turning the radio off, then back on after a few seconds, but likely, it will not change much of anything. As I said, nothing in this menu can harm anything as it will reset on a reboot to whatever the default settings are. If you doubt me, try from any Moto Droid before you delete useful information.
      Now, as you can see, the Bionic may be able to be fixed and if not, it can inexpensively be replaced. This brings us to a couple of points that I felt compelled to make from the onset of reading all of these replies. First, and foremost, the Bionic runs like a hot knife through butter when set up right after a clean installation of JB regardless of HW version, processor revision, etc.  Once we start bogging system resources with apps that update
chronically or run in the background chronically, the phone slows down. Take a bunch of pictures or videos and fill up your internal memory, and the phone will slow down. The gallery feature always loads your pics and vids and for whatever reason, i have discovered when most of my files and media are on my 32 gb class 10 sd card (subtle suggestion), the phone runs far better. Mind you this has been tested and proven over and over again on multiple Bionics. If you never reboot the phone,  this phenomenon gets worse.  As was suggested, clearing your cache does worlds of good for your handset. Rebooting clears (to an extent) running processes on the phone. There are multiple task killers/memory cleaners/cache cleaners out there, and although JB software is SUPPOSED to not require anything like that. But clearing your cache should happen at least once every couple of weeks.
Another point is the suggestion to wipe all your data and reset the phone. This is actually the best advice anyone here gave you. If you do not have the Triangle of Death in your status bar, I am almost certain this will fix your phone. If your download of JB was bad or corrupted or if for whatever reason the installation was bad, nothing will fix it but this.  I agree that it is not ideal to lose your data, but there isn't much you cannot back up using a computer. AND if you are willing to read, SamuariHL's House Of Moto can reset your phone WITHOUT ERASING your data.  As far as the claims that "verizon [is slow to update/bugfix, releases bad software, etc..] it is a load of poo. Verizon has little to do with how the software itself operates or is written. In fact, the only bad thing you can factually say about VZW and the software itself is that bloatware (pre-installed, crappy, un-installable apps you do not need, nor want) is selected and added to the builds. This is literally the only hand they have. They can make it take a while by not approving the software (as happened with JB if you are a phone news junkie like me) but ultimately Motorola Mobility aka GOOGLE is not going to release sub-par software and hurt their brand/ Google Experience to make Verizon happy. Google has quite a bit more muscle in that scenario, so it makes zero sense.  As far as Verizon wanting you to buy a new phone and sign off of unlimited data, of course that is exactly what they want; They want to retain the customer above all, and then they want to limit their resource usage so they can claim the best network. if everyone uses boat loads of data all the time, the network speed for everyone, collectively will suffer. The laws surrounding Block C and the usage limitations of such are still up in the air, considering the "no limitation of usage" clause of that free tv wavelength that became VZW 4G LTE, so I won't say that is the proper argument. I will say, however, you always have a choice.  You can buy a phone from VZW off contract. You can buy one from a friend. You can buy one off of Ebay. Ultimately, until all of us that have unlimited data are forced to change providers, the choice is pay a premium for data on a nice, shiny, new phone or rock an older phone with great data. The reps in the store are pretty much in it to sell you a phone, that is how they make their money, after all. (Rooting discussion removed) But sometimes that is the fix to get the phone of your dreams out of a phone designed in 2010 four years later. Make no mistake, Verizon is a large corporation out to make money, but their service is the best I have tried and their exclusive contract with Motorola for the Droid line of phones keeps me as a customer. I pay double what my friends do because of the coverage and network superiority. Aside from the data usage, I have zero complaints about Verizon or their service and will continue to be a customer as long as my unlimited data is intact. Don't feel like you have to give in.  Get a Razr Maxx HD or a Moto X (the latter if you don't care about an sd card slot). Keep rocking unlimited. (email address removed) if you need more help. take care.

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Re: Droid Bionic has numerous issues after Jelly Bean update - Help
Tidbits
Legend

Sorry to say... It's up to the manufacturer to issue updates. It's been proven multiple times to this fact even manufacturers contradict what they tell you. No one listens.

Anyway there are no more updates for the bionic. Motorola ALREADY said this...

0 Likes