Re: Droid Bionic 4g Problems
alassen23

I've been having this problem with my Bionic since day 1.  Verizon has been no help what so ever. 

The first day I got the phone, I didn't have any connection for 3 hours.  We took it back to the store and the gave me a new sim card.  But I couldn't use it in 4G LTE, it just wouldn't work.  So finally, after a few months I went back to Verizon.  They switched the sim card again and saw that it still dropped data, they decide to send me a replacement phone.

The replacement phone I got in March had the same problems, but it wasn't as bad.  To avoid the hassle of dealing with Verizon I kept the phone.  Well last week, I'm on the replacement phone and the volume just stops working.  So back to the store I go for them to send me ANOTHER replacement phone.

This is my 3rd Bionic since November.  Now I'm having the same issues with the data, and it's 10x worse then what it was with the other 2 Bionics.  I'm so sick of this replacement phone business... it's obviously something in the manufacturing of this phone, otherwise there wouldn't be so many people with the same problems. 

I'm going back to the store tonight, and I'm going to demand an upgrade.  If Verizon doesn't make right by this, I'll take my business elsewhere.

0 Likes
muhman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually, I do not think it is the phone.

I think it has to do with connection to the LTE network, What is really interesting is run speedtest. it shows uploads are working normally. All downloads are horrific now. It has been since the June/July update.

I had removed some apps that had the Android ad engine and that helped but it is in holding that connection to the 4G network.

Every time they bring a new tower on it causes an update to the routes which I think is part of the problem. I used to have perfect connection on 4G up until June. My Bionic ruled and I use a lapdock often. now it is damn near worthless.

I am also on a grandfathered all you can eat data plan. Now I hover around 2GB in usage per billing period but I am starting to think they want people to upgrade so that they get on the new data plans. If that is the case, I want to find out. I would get a class action case going, if that is the case. I am getting ticked off and I like Verizon. I have been with them forever.

0 Likes
ducati1045R

THIS DOES NOT WORK           verizon has replaced the phone twice I have been to the store 11 times called customer care and tech support more time than i can remember and still haveing the same problem with my wifes phone no 4G and no 3G ...This stated about 4 months ago also they have replaced the sim card (forgot about that) Thank GOD I have the Iphone 4s   NEXT

0 Likes
skeptonomicon

So it has been over a month since this problem started for me. It has been in level 2 tech support for over 2 weeks. Clearly this problem does not effect everyone, but it does effect enough people that they at least acknowledged they have a system wide issue. At one point they told me that it was a problem with the authentication using the SIM cards. This is a Verizon specific authentication scheme. They told me it didn't matter if it was 4g or 3g, as long as it had a SIM it would experience this problem. Older 3G phones without SIM cards should be OK since the authenticate differently. That is what they told me, but I have my doubts. For the last two weeks, I have been using my backup OG Droid instead of my new Galaxy Nexus. I still am seeing drop outs, but the older phone is able to recover almost instantaneously. I also have noticed that is tends to drop cell connectivity when it discovers a new WIFI network, although this could just be this poor old slow phone not being able to keep up, and dropping service since the CPU is bogged down.

I called again yesterday, and they promised to get back to me with an update within the hour. Of course I have not heard back from them two days later. I will probably bug them again tomorrow. I may push them to void my contract so I can switch carriers cause it does not look like they have any clue as to how to fix this problem.

0 Likes
rjoet

TO ALL : go to manage apps and turn off or stop data manager all the items under data manager DONT restart just use your phone

0 Likes
FarmerJohn1776

Same issues with my Bionic here in San Diego. It all began with the OTA .905 forced update a couple months ago. I've tried everything mentioned above along with a few other suggestions from other forums, all moot. I'd call Verizon to register complaints, ultimatums, and desperate tirades, but now they won't even let you reach tech support from your cell # (which is a devious, yet brilliant maneuver on their part to save labor costs now that so many people have abandoned their land lines). My head is sore from beating it against the wall and furniture. Please, for the love of $120/month cell phone bills, issue a bloody fix to this snafu before I sick my bloodthirsty attorney on you with a class action suit for our collective pain and suffering, not to mention contractual non-performance (i pay you gobs of money-you provide wireless service). It won't matter what your fine print says; this is California, big brutha, and you'll settle like everyone else...

0 Likes
skeptonomicon

I found this explanation of the problem from a post on another related thread:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/12/19/this-is-why-your-verizon-galaxy-nexus-or-other-4g-lte-vzw-ph...

To sum it up, it is a problem in the Verizon network related to authentication of SIM cards. The problem does not exist on phones without SIM cards.

Clearly not everyone with a SIM card phone is having this problem, but I was having so many prelims that I went back to using my OG droid (no sim card) which is dog slow.

0 Likes