Droid Battery cover plate!!!
markusd1

Ok, I've had my Droid for 1 week and the cover plate has fell off 3 times???? What the heck? I'm using a holster and I have noticed that it takes very little finger pressure to slide the cover down,  then it will just fall off! Anyone esle seen this?  I love the phone but I think this may be a deal breaker for me.

0 Likes
Re: Droid Battery cover plate!!!
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

you should take it in to where you purchased it and find out if other droids act the same way.  ask to see if you could place a new one in your holster and repeat the steps you perform that would cause the back to come off.

or

Verizon sells a holster/shell combo.  it has a "body glove" like shell that protects the back of the phone with a small border surrounding the face of the phone. then the shell slides into the holster, with the face of the phone pointed inwards.

i currently have the regular holster and the holster/shell combo and i love the combo.  the cover that protects the backside of the phone also removes easily (as oppose to the body glove shell) so i can put it in my car dock.  when i put it back on, it still fits very snug.

0 Likes
steveindajeep

I am one week into my droid ownership and it also comes off very easily (4 times now). I have seen protectors on ebay that would help this but I should not have to buy something additional for the darn thing to stay put.. This might also be a deal breaker for me as well. Plus the passion is supposedly coming out soon and HTC has a very good rep. for solid, quality, well thought out phones.

0 Likes
Lightninrod
Enthusiast - Level 3

Several owners with this problem have just 'tweaked'(form them very slightly and carefully) the two cover tabs to tighten it up.  No accidental removals then.

0 Likes
alxnet

markusd1 wrote:

Ok, I've had my Droid for 1 week and the cover plate has fell off 3 times???? What the heck? I'm using a holster and I have noticed that it takes very little finger pressure to slide the cover down,  then it will just fall off! Anyone esle seen this?  I love the phone but I think this may be a deal breaker for me.

No problem on my end.  You could try two things though:  1) A tiny dab of doublesided tape just under the trailing edge.  or  2) Ever so slightly bend out the hooks on the battery cover.  Either method will surely do a good job of securing your cover.

How did it get loose in the first place?  Whoever placed the battery cover initially probably placed too much force on the hooks.  This is why I mail order my phones from Verizon's website or at the very least insist that the hurried Verizon store clerk NOT take my phone out of the box.  Who's gonna take care of your phone better than you?

0 Likes
neacr1

There are definitely issues with the battery cover and there seem to be solutions being discussed at the Motorola Owners Forums. Sign up at Motorola and check it out,

0 Likes
rsaritzky

There are dozens of people on the Motorola forum who have complained about the same thing.  The Droid is a beautiful phone, but it's obvious that either manufacturing tolerances or a slight bending of the battery cover causing covers to fall off all over the place is a design flaw.

The "hooks" that go inside the phone to latch the battery cover closed don't have "detents", or notches in the locking part (or the detents are very shallow - can't look because I lost my cover too <grin>).  Motorola could design deeper detents into the cover. 

Also, some sort of "safety catch" could be designed, although this is a bit trickier because of the thinness of the phone.  A lot of phones with plastic battery covers have a button that you have to press in order to remove the battery cover.  The others have plastic tabs with little hooks or detents on them (not very doable with a metal cover.)  Or, what I've seen on a number of metal cases on computers and other electronics - a hole in the cover that a spring-loaded pin fits into.  You have to press a latch that pushes the pin downward and out of the hole for the cover to slide off.

So there are a lot of solutions that are possible.  The important thing is to contact Motorola or post a comment in their forum if your battery cover is loose - so they get a good sampling of the number of problem covers.

In the interim, a small piece of friction tape (I think duct tape would also work) inside the phone on the inside of the battery cover should do the trick.  You don't want to make the cover impossible to remove, so 1 or 2 small pieces (1/2-inch square or so) should do the trick.

Ron

0 Likes
kurttrail

One of the solutions from the Motorola forum is getting Motorola to replace the battery cover for FREE, but just this once.  If you lose it a second time they'll charge you.

I sent an email to support stating that I heard in their forum about this replacement solution and they repIied that I should get it in a week.

0 Likes
LizzieG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ-Kua5Lunk Saw this the other night.
0 Likes
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

I filled out a form and they are sending me a replacement.

I watched that video a few times and couldn't figure out exactly what he was doing... give it a little bend where?  What direction?  Why does it help?  Where can I get a itty bitty flathead screwdriver. (why did I try to do it with a paperclip)

I'll wait for the replacement.

My first droid's cover was hard to get off.  The new one comes off too easily.

0 Likes