Did reboot put my system files on my SD card?
don13
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Samsung Droid Charge. I had lots of rebooting (looping) issues and at the Verizon store we did a series of factory resets until one finally stopped the rebooting.The SD card installed throughout the resets.

When I got home, I removed the SD card from my phone and read it in my PC, and I found system files on it. In my PC, the SD card reads as only 1.17 GD although it's supposed to be a 16 GB card.

I attempted to turn on the phone without the SD card and I got the continual rebooting/looping.

I reinserted the SD card back into the phone, and the rebooting stopped.

Now, on the phone, I have only the stock apps installed (from the factory reset). The phone says there is no SD card mounted.  It will not let me mount the card when I attempt to do so from the menu.  The phone also tells me that I have 1.17 GB of storage -- and no external card.

I've attempted to download an app or two but am told I am out of storage/memory.

Are my system files actually located on my SD card?

Is there a fix that's not going to brick this phone altogether?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Did reboot put my system files on my SD card?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi don13,

Oh No! I'm extremely sorry to learn that you're having issues with your device. I absolutely understand the importance of having a properly functioning device at all times. I want to make sure we get this resolved right away. First off, I would like to let you know that the SD does not have any system files or device files. This card is meant for you to store desired information. The phones operating procedures and files are stored directly to the devices internal memory. If you're having issues with your SD Card, I recommend trying a new card to see if issues persist. Please keep us posted of the outcome, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
don13
Enthusiast - Level 3

I replaced SD cards, restarted the phone and it's in the endless rebooting loop.  Took the SD card out entirely and again endless rebooting loop.  Replaced with the first SD card and the phone is back up apps and preferences are gone, as if I did another factory reset. Back to the situation described in my first post.

0 Likes
don13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any other thoughts on this?  Still needing help. I did visit a Verizon store -- several times. They did more factory reboots, and nothing helped. Suggested I buy a new phone.

I'd like to have this one fixed. What are our next steps to accomplish this?

Thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for all of your efforts, don13. It would appear to me that your device will need to be replaced. You have a few replacement options:

1. If your phone is under warranty, it can replaced for no cost, if there's no physical or moisture damage.

2. You can file an insurance claim and pay the required deductible to replace your phone...http://bit.ly/07CrqPK

3. You can purchase a new device if you're eligible for an upgrade...http://bit.ly/nD0WuY

Please let me know if you need additional assistance.

Chauncey_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes