Covers for Moto Droid - DITCH them
TechHater

Both my husband and I purchased and put on cases for our new Motorola Droid phones. His a hard case, mine a gel/rubber one. If you have these I STRONGLY advise ditching them. He pushed his screen up twice to use the regular keyboard and the back part of the casing would scratch the underside of the screen. He promptly took the back part off and tossed it, keeping on only the front surrounding screen piece. The underside of the front screen, as Droid owners know, has the fine network of wires and stuff in it - almost looks like a solar panel.. That hard case would have damaged his phone after repeated use.

My case, while softer, was no different. While mine did not scratch the underside it did rub, unbeknownst to me. I started having problems about 4 days after getting the phone. My menus would lag when I flicked them up, my connections to Market, Internet and other apps would hang, my screen would go black and the lights for the menu and back buttons on the bottom would be off and not come on and now I am unable to access my Yahoo mail through the e-mail app (though we have determined this is likely due to something else going on). Earlier in the day before this started to occur I had taken the front surrounding screen piece off to replace my screen protector because it was peeling on one side - as soon as I did that and replaced the front piece I had NOTHING but the above issues all day.

So later that evening I took the entire cover system off the phone, turned the phone off and waited awhile. I turned the Droid back on and so far after a day now it seems to have gone back to normal. Though I still cannot get my Yahoo mail to work through the e-mail app (listed in another Forum topic, so evidently I am not the only one).

Suffice to say: If it did not come built into or put on the phone by the manufacturer, DON'T put it on... (I swear I have heard this same phrase before....)

0 Likes
Re: Covers for Moto Droid - DITCH them
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
Ditto, I dont think the droid needs a cover, the screen is pretty tough and so is the case. I dont like it that the covers actually cover a bit of the top row of keys and make the phone look even thicker.
0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

I have had the Body Glove case on my Droid since day 1 (11/16/2009) and have had no issues. I like the non-slippery texture. Of course if the top part of the Body Glove case is not installed properly with the cut out positioned at the bottom, it will interfere with the keyboard.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I just use a plastic screen cover to protect the screen from getting scratched.  I use a car dock and multimedia dock, so never considered a case for the Droid.

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

The Droid has a SICK display on it. Just check this YouTube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8

I've never used a screen protector or case for my Droid and it gets punished. I can say without any exageration though, that my screen is in pristine condition. My wife and daughter both have the Eris and they have screen protectors on theirs, but the Eris display just didn't feel as tough as this one and it didn't have a cool video on youtube to convince me. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
meister
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is bad advice. The case had nothing to do with your phone issues. Your issues came most likely from one of the programs hanging and simply needed a soft reboot- which you did. I have had this phone since day one also and keep a case on it when out and about to protect the front mental, which can rub and over time the paint will come off. I recommend the Seidio case.

You do NOT need a film protector for the front glass. The glass is made by Owens Corning and is called Gorilla Glass. After months of not so gentle use, it is still scratch free and like new.

0 Likes
TechHater

Sorry, but I have talked to a good amount of Droid owners around here and pretty much all of them concurred with our assesment of the cover issue. All but one of us (that we have talked with) have ditched the covers after having issues with interference. I also talked to a Motorola tech this morning and he also noted that the back portion of the rubber soft covers can sometimes enable the phone overheat during excessive use in a small amount of time (doing apps, games etc for a long period of time), which can therefore cause issues with performance (our covers were DROID covers, purchased at Verizon Wireless when we purchased the phones). He did NOT advise using these covers. And he also agreed with not using the hard plastic covers as they CAN scratch the underside on the slide screen because covers vary in design.

He agreed that - "If it did not come with the phone or was built onto the phone, it is not neccessary."

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

TechHater wrote:

... I had taken the front surrounding screen piece off to replace my screen protector ...

... He agreed that - "If it did not come with the phone or was built onto the phone, it is not neccessary."

But  you are using a screen protector. There was no screen protector included with my Droid.

0 Likes
meister
Enthusiast - Level 3

My thoughts exactly logicman, lol. Look, I stand by what I said. The chance of you dropping and breaking the phone is greater then the rare time the phone may get hot enough to slow down. I and everyone I know with this phone has a case and zero issues.

0 Likes
kell
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a hard plastic cover on mine & had to get rid of it...I sounded tinny...or like I was in a bucket. Since I got rid of the cover, people are saying I sound great & hear LOTS less huh? & what? I agree...ditch the covers

0 Likes