Corrupted Picture Files - has anyone found a fix?
Kooky

A quick google search shows that the issues I have been having - losing picture files due to the files somehow becoming corrupted - are not uncommon.  While many have suggestions, those seem to be "patches" and not a fix.  This appears to me to either be a major software problem or there's a virus that my virus protection app is not picking up.

I know how to deal with the corrupted files - clear the data in camera and gallery, format the SD card, etc.  What I want to know is why my files are becoming corrupted in the first place and what can be done to prevent it.  I've gone through and deleted a bunch of downloaded apps that I don't use, and I've always had a virus scan.  I don't mess around with apps outside of the "approved" app store.

A major part of me having the smartphone is for the camera feature.  If I can no longer use my phone as a camera, I'll go back to using my laptop for email and internet and save myself the data plan each month.  This is getting ridiculous.  And suspiciously, nothing, that I could find, indicate that Verizon/Droid is acknowledging the problem or looking for a fix.  There's apparently quite a few of us out there with this problem, so that it's not being addressed really bothers me.

I apologize if my frustration comes off as hostile.  I had some good shots of a bald eagle last week that I lost because of this issue.  Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Re: Corrupted Picture Files - has anyone found a fix?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Kooky,

A picture is worth a thousand words! But I’m sure that the pictures you had of a bald was worth just a little more than that my friend! I’m sorry to hear about the lost of your pictures. I can certainly understand how important they were to you as they represent a moment in time that is truly special!

Corrupted picture files are fairly common on all types of compatible media, not just cell phones. There are some many variables to consider, which makes it difficult to identify the root cause of the corruption. Also, each situation is different as to what caused the files to become corrupt. The most effective device has been to archive/copy the pictures on a computer. This way the pictures are preserved. Although this might not be your favorite way to preserve your memories, it has proven in the past to be one of the most effective ways.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
staceywilk77
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon -

That is a lousy solution!

I've been dealing with this same issue since the last software update!  I have this problem nearly EVERYDAY.  The only solution is to reboot my phone.  I've lost capturing many beautiful moments because of this issue.  I can never rely on my phone camera.  I always have to do a "test" photo before I'm planning to take some pictures just to make sure it will work, though that is not always reliable.

I highly doubt this issue is unique to each of our phones.  It IS a result of the last software update and many customers have experienced the same issues just after the update.

I'm very disappointed Verizon hasn't looked into this further.  It makes me question the customer service and whether I should renew my plan at the end of the year.  I know I'm definitely moving to an iphone as my friends who have one speak very highly of them.  I know VERY FEW people who have a Droid and are happy with it....must be a reason.

I'm planning to contact Verizon shortly to look into replacing my Droid for the 5th TIME!

0 Likes
VeeZee71

Hey Verizon, I have this same problem, It is a known issue, fix it. I have been reviewing other plans with AT&T, and i won't complain much I'll just switch. see link for AT&T coverage map.

AT&T Coverage MAP

They Got Me Covered

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

when i take a pic or series of pics, they're automatically saved to the card (i see the message on each pic) & i email them to myself, up to 20meg at a time.

if you aren't seeing the message, try smaller pics & see where the pic is being saved.

perhaps your problem is where the pics are being saved to, the phone defaults saving to the card unless you change it to the phone

i drop the resolution down, from 8m to 2meg.

how big of an sd card do you have, mine's a 16g & barely a 1/4 full of music & pics.

i've had the dx since dec '10, drag/dropped individual pics & entire folders to a folder i created on the card, my pics & everyone shows up in the gallery without any issues.

0 Likes
aroberts377

I have this same issue. I just got a replacement Droid X last month so I barely have anything saved on my card. It started out taking pictures fine. Now it will say it took my picture, I can see it in the preview icon while still in camera mode but if I touch the icon to bring up the picture or go into the gallery to view it, it's not there.

As for what the VW rep said, it's not an issue of not backing up my pictures. The camera won't even TAKE pictures.

0 Likes
medic51

When I try to take a picture my X just freezes up. Will not take picture or anything. I have to go out of the camera. Then when I go back in it will do the same thing.

0 Likes
Klynn414

I'm having similar problems myself.  I take a picture, it's there for a minute then it's gone.  The only thing showing is a graphic of a piece of film.  Ever since this has started, I haven't been able to upload my pictures to my online album.  It's set to automatically upload as soon as I take a picture.  Since the picture is gone as soon as I take it, no upload.  I used to be able to shut my phone off then turn it back on and take maybe a couple pictures if I was lucky but not anymore.  Now when I shut my phone off it won't turn back on at all.  It takes hours for it to come back on.  I am more than disgusted with this phone now.  It's always locking up and if there was an emergency and I had to call for help, I'd be lucky to get the call placed in less than 2 minutes. 

0 Likes